The ongoing war...BFG A/T KO's vs. Bridgeston Dueler A/T Revo's | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The ongoing war...BFG A/T KO's vs. Bridgeston Dueler A/T Revo's

I can either get the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's mounted, balanced, tax included for $498 (from Firestone shop)

OR

I can get the BFG A/T KO's mounted, balanced, tax included for $460 (from Sam's club)

Both are 235/75-15's

MY QUESTION IS: Which of these is better in snow? and are those good prices?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i myself like the revos and think that they will compete a lot better then the regular A/T Dueler

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

old mechanic said:
Whatever that means.
In my experience (riding on A/T Revos since mid winter), that means they are 'usable' off-road but not terribly rough and noisy on the highway.

The Revos do have very thick sidewalls and can be aired down without worry, but on appearances I certainly wouldn't consider them over something like BFGs for trail use. My experience is limited as I have only had them for a few months, two minor winter storms and mild trail use, but thus far they are flat out the best A/Ts that I've used in the snow.

For anyone interested in the tread differences, here are some pictures. A few pics of BFG or other tires closeup would be nice if anyone can take some.

OE Firestone Wilderness A/T (P255/70/16)
wilderness-at.jpg

Kelly Safari AWR (P255/70/16)
safari-awr.jpg

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo (LT265/75/16)
at-revo.jpg

Big Bear Bob said:
As far as hydroplaning goes I have never had a problem hydroplaning on the BFG's either, and believe if you drive unsafely enough to hydroplane on them you'll likely hydroplane on anything out there. Get what you want, but have enough sense to read what the maker has to say about the tires before you make a decision.
BTW I have BFG A/T KO's on my 2001 Dodge Laramie SLT Off Road 4X4 truck. I replaced the OEM GoodYear Wranglers and again a night and day difference.

I have problems with hydroplaning on my BFG A/T KO's even at low speeds. We have some roads here in South Jersey that have developed grooves or indents that tend to pool water in heavy rain. Most cars will hydroplane in that kind of condition... the difference is that my Explorer hydroplanes at a lower speed than my other cars and than it used to with the stock tires.

I tend to blame the hydroplaning more on the fact that it is a 32" tire. I'm willing to guess that if you had a Revo at 11.5 " wide you'd have the same problem. Mud Terrain tires probably don't have as much of a problem with hydroplaning even at larger sizes because the open tread probably breakes up the surface tension and channels the water better... but I haven't tried MT's yet to test that.

So I think we need to make sure we are comparing apples to apples... I'm curious if anyone with a near-stock sized or slightly oversized BFG A/T's have hydroplaning trouble.

Ed

From my own experience the Bridgestones and the BFG's are both excellent tires. All of my buddies are BFG loyalists and have had excellent results from the sets they have had. I had Bridgestone Dueler A/T's on my old truck and they were very good tires. Not as grippy offroad as the BFG's appear to be, but still a good tire. Tread life on them was terrific. I now have Bridgestone Dueler M/T's on my Ranger and love them. They are an awesome tire! I plan on getting at least 50,000+ from these tires and maybe more. Just as a side note, my last set of tires on my Ranger were Yokohama Geolander A/T's. When new they were very good in mud, dirt, and rocks, however, they do wear pretty quickly and loose their effectiveness. Good luck to everyone on your tire choices.

My 31" BFG AT hydroplane pretty bad. When I had 30" Pirelli Scorpions I never had a problem with it.

Back