• Register Today It's free!

The poor mans aftermarket bumper

GPNyce

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, Tenn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
well, ive been driving around with out bumpers for quite some time because i put on a 2 inch body lift...and i didnt like the gap or how low the bumper looked on there. Well today at work i got a crazy idear...figured it wouldnt hurt to try it out. Here is my solution for a budget bumper that works with 2 inch BL. I unbolted the chrome flairs and took the plastic surround off of the stock bumper, then bolted what was left back onto the frame. I got under the truck and bolted it in until it was just starting to get tight, then i pushed up as hard as i could so the bumper would shift up to its highest level, and then tightened everything up. I dont think it looks too bad, and now my radiator has some proper protection. Plus i got my fog lights back...:thumbsup:

83c6adff.jpg

aa00b51d.jpg

5ef06935.jpg

5627c249.jpg

97fd8d52.jpg

e0da24a8.jpg

What do you guys think? Im not in it for looks, and im not gonna win any shows or anything. Purely functional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are blueprints floating around on here to make to relocation brackets for the body lifts. This way you can use the entire bumper.

I have a 3" bl on mine:
DSCF0439 (6).JPG

i think it looks like butt

lol yea if you dont care about looks then i guess it works, but it kinda brings the look of the truck way down in my opinion.

If you're going to put all that effort into a lift then half-ass a bumper, I just can't see it. But as long as you are happy....

The jeep wheels arent helping either,
The brackets arent hard to make.

actually im very happy with my jeep wheels, i got a great deal on them.

and its not half assed. its free. you guys dont have to like it, it works for me. i dont plan on keeping the explorer for more than another year, so its not like it matters. too expensive to wheel my daily driver.

Yall get off his case. Have you looked around this forum and seen some of the BS people have done to there X's. This isnt that bad and its a free mod any can do. Besides unlike a lot of other crap you can do to these things this is reversable

you can use the brackets the BL kit came with. you can only get one bolt in the frame on each side though. I used the kit brackets for both front and rear. I know they aren't strong but it looks good until i have welder access.

id get some bumper brackets made. it wont cost you much.. i like the rubicon rims though.

I traded a 30 pack of Coors Light to a guy who works at a rod iron shop (they make gates, railings, fences, security bars, etc) and he cut me 4 bumper brackets out of 1/4" plate in about 30 minutes.

I used the drawings I found on this forum, called people I knew to see if anyone had this ability. I sent him the drawings, went to buy beer, drove to meet him and traded beer for brackets. Cost me $13.99 to have factory looking bumpers on my 3" BL'd 96.

I could have cut the brackets myself with some 1/4" plate and a chop saw/grinder, thats another option (I didnt have a chop saw when I did this, now I do!)

Just FYI

I like your wheels, some people just think if its Jeep its junk, which I iunderstand.. but wheels are wheels man and factory wheels that look good are good wheels.

i believe it needs the brackets that are shaped like U's, I mistakenly thought they were for the 1rst gen and had some made out of 3/8 in steel, and could not use them, i still have them and they are VERY nice, i paid 50$ from the fabricator, they are yours for 10$ plus shipping....if you want i can take some pics and post them monday, then you can do it right. :D
here is the link to the ones i had made
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119713&highlight=bumper+bracket+template

5162front-fairlead.jpg

exactly

i believe it needs the brackets that are shaped like U's, I mistakenly thought they were for the 1rst gen and had some made out of 3/8 in steel, and could not use them, i still have them and they are VERY nice, i paid 50$ from the fabricator, they are yours for 10$ plus shipping....if you want i can take some pics and post them monday, then you can do it right. :D
here is the link to the ones i had made
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119713&highlight=bumper+bracket+template

that will work. ill take them. i really did not think i would get so much grief from doin it...just an idea i wanted to try out.

thanks chewy4x4, 410Fortune, and 98xploder for not just sayin everythin ive done to my ex looks like crap...this is my first car that ive done my own work on, and i know i dont know too much, or can afford to do the really cool or nice things, but at least im tryin.

hell yes so you are ahead of the game, I think it looked pretty good, dont worry about people on here guiving you grief, its like art class at the end of class everyone puts up there work and people will say whatever they think, just take it in stride

As long as you like it thats all that matters, and like you said you got your fog lights back and your radiator is protected a bit, beauty is only skin deep

that will work. ill take them. i really did not think i would get so much grief from doin it...just an idea i wanted to try out.

i didnt say it look bad either dog:rolleyes: I just want to help a fellow explorer driver out (while getting rid of shiz i'll never use in the process). Im glad to help out. PM me with your address, and i'll get you a final price. I work for UPS so i'll hook you up, i realize you are on a budget.
PS, it doesn't look any worse then my rear bumper that it bent all to hell! It makes it unique!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree. But do keep in mind that you need to be prepared to have skin a little bit thicker than normal when you post photos of a something a little out of the ordinary and finish it with the question "What do you guys think?" Guys will tell you what they think :)

Back