Things you would like to see in a Gen 2 Bumper | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Things you would like to see in a Gen 2 Bumper

whitemage25

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Callsign
W5LVN
Ok so after lots of looking around the web and browsing this forum it seems to me that there are no real great choices for aftermarket bumpers for the gen 2 X. So I've decided to have one custom made. The shop I went to specilezes in bumpers and rock crawlers for use in Moad. They said that after I get mine made thay can save the design and mass produce it for anyone elase intrested for around 600-700 dollars a bumper.

They design so far is a cross between an ARB bumper and a Pre-Runner/Baja style bumper. What I want to know from you guys and what kind of features would you like to see in a Gen 2 bumper?

Thanks, Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm working towards the same goal here, just been slow going getting my shop up to 100% before I can get anything made, infact I was planning on posting the same question
What does everyone want to see for custom bumpers? My current plan is for a plate (arb/trail ready) type based bumper with tube brush/tree/light bar (possibley removable) winch mount, recovery rings, front hitch, possible "frenched" light mounts in the bumper its self
Other problems I have though about is the bumper going to be a 1 size fits all? think body lifts... none, 2" or 3"
There is a load of other issues to get in to about making a "mail order" custom bumper thats going to fit everyones 2nd Gen

I'm partial to the one that Dixon Brothers Racing is making (as posted by Forum member DBR-EDGE) - clicky

But, I'm not really interested in the large skid plate and would like a second 'bumper' tube below the first.

Also, would you consider making a KD (knocked-down) version as well? That might save on shipping charges and alow the purchaser to custom fit the bumper to the truck. Then it would just need to be assembled and welded.

Thanks for asking - Dave.

Okay the problem I have seen with Gen II's is the departure angle.
I cannot tell you how many times I have seent eh Gen II truck not able to tackle an obstacle because the rear bumper is dragging in the dirt.

So the higher up and the closer to the body you can get it, the better.
Just ask Jefe or Gerrald, they'll tell ya! hahaha can you say Widowmaker?

Oh and I am not one to talk, both tims on that obstacle I took the bypass. :)

Make sure you add towhook points to the front as well. Maybe a few tabs to mount lights off of as well.

Widowmaker will also get first gens as well on the leafspring hanger mounted under the frame.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the Bulletproof Mfg. front bumpers and carriers: http://www.bulletproofmfg.com/

I really like the plate & tube combination. If not a combo of both, I like the plate style bumpers better than all tube. The one from Protofab that BKennedy modified for his X looks awesome. If it has to be an all tube bumper, I like the combination of Rick's upper guard and the Daystar lower from Jefe's comments in this post: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100945&page=1&pp=20&highlight=Tube+bender

Requirements:
Front: (1) Winch mount, (2) light tabs - at least four, (3) D-Rings, (4) radiator protection - it hangs pretty low on the second gens, (5) wrap-around corner protection, (6) front receiver hitch like the Bulletproof FF1 & FF5 models. (This front hitch mount could double as radiator protection.)

Rear: (1) Hi-Lift, Can, Tire Carrier that can hold a 36-37, (2) receiver hitch, (3) wrap-around corner protection, (4) License plate holder, (5) CB antena mount, (6) light mounts?, (7) D-Rings.

HUGE Thumbs-Up :thumbsup: to you both for tackling this. Can't wait to see what you put together!

410Fortune said:
Okay the problem I have seen with Gen II's is the departure angle.

more LIFT!!! cmon everyone, together now, LIFT!!! :confused:

I am sorry but more lift would not necessarily help you when you are standing the truck up on the rear hatch. plus a higher center of gravity would make it more difficult/dangerous on many of these obstacles.
Lift is not always the solution, articulation, traction, and skid plates are.
Also we are talking abot tow very well build and capable rigs right there, Gerrald and Jefe :)

ahah well our definition of what a suitable departure angle differs. being pretty much stock, a good departure angle for me is probably like 2 degrees.. on a good day, if the temperature is right ;)

I have a friend up in WIS who is going to be making me a custom front bumper with in the next few months.
I'm not good a describing too well, so I'll use other bumpers as refs. The basic design is going to be much like yosh18981898's, but with tubes for braces instead of flat plate and it will also have a 2" receiver in the middle. It will have a pre-runner hoop similar to Josh S's bumper with 4 light tabs and finally it will have the lower tube in a little further than the top one kind of like svande8952's rear bumper.
I already have a front skid-plate, so I won't be having one put on the bumper, but that was ones of the designs. It is going to cost around $300 - $400 depending on material costs and actual labor. Being it is the first he has made for a Explorer he couldn't give me an exact price.
Thats the best I can describe it, I'm just waiting to save up cash and then the Explorer will be going to his shop to have it installed.
I mentioned people may be interested in one for themself and he said bring it on, once he has done mine he will have all the measurments and any others would be a pice of cake.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99820

Keep an eye on that thread. With in the next 2 months I should have my new front bumper and maybe even some custom tube bars and a rear bumper. By the way he's quoting me $350 right now for the front bumper.

I believe that JoshC's front bumper is one of the best 2nd gen front bumpers. I like the prerunner style with the winch mount. Mine will look very similar to his.

Attachments

• JoshC1.jpg
    JoshC1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 886
  • JoshC5.jpg
    JoshC5.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 883

Bronco638 said:
Also, would you consider making a KD (knocked-down) version as well? That might save ship on shipping charges and alow the purchaser to custom fit the bumper to the truck. Then it would just need to be assembled and welded.

Thanks for asking - Dave.

I was thinking about doing some pre-cut weld it yerself "kits" once I get rolling and get a CNC plasma table, what do you guys think about getting plate bumpers that req the frame to be cut off if the truck has a body lift? cause a stock hight bumper IMO isnt going to fit right on a 2"-3" BLed truck, on the flip side of that a bumper made for a 3" bodylift will hang down 1" on a 2" lift and 3" on a truck with no body lift
On a side note, how many of ya would want precut/semi welded rockslider mounts, other words 4 bolt on frame mounts (pin locked reciver style) but add your own slider tube?

97XEB said:
Requirements:
Front: (1) Winch mount, (2) light tabs - at least four, (3) D-Rings, (4) radiator protection - it hangs pretty low on the second gens, (5) wrap-around corner protection, (6) front receiver hitch like the Bulletproof FF1 & FF5 models. (This front hitch mount could double as radiator protection.)

Rear: (1) Hi-Lift, Can, Tire Carrier that can hold a 36-37, (2) receiver hitch, (3) wrap-around corner protection, (4) License plate holder, (5) CB antena mount, (6) light mounts?, (7) D-Rings.

HUGE Thumbs-Up :thumbsup: to you both for tackling this. Can't wait to see what you put together!

I agree with all maybe not the tire carrier ( thats what the roof is for) Does anyone know the differance in frame width on the cherokee, ranger and the 2nd gen EX.

Tim

94ZebraRanger said:
I agree with all maybe not the tire carrier ( thats what the roof is for) Does anyone know the differance in frame width on the cherokee, ranger and the 2nd gen EX.

Tim

cherokee frame? what frame, they are unibody, I dont know about the diff on the rangers and 2nd gen yet, I hope to have 2nd gen specs soon

Savage Wolf wrote:
I was thinking about doing some pre-cut weld it yerself "kits"
The problem I have with this is that I can't weld. So, it wouldn't make sense for me to pay for the bumper twice... once to you for the parts and a second time to someone else locally to weld it together, test-fit, adjust, etc. If I'm gonna have to go through all that with a local welder anyway, why not have him make the whole damn thing exactly the way I want it??!! :confused:

Savage Wolf wrote:
what do you guys think about getting plate bumpers that req the frame to be cut off
I am going to be running a 1" body lift and personally, do not like the idea of cutting my frame at all. :thumbdwn: There are other manufacturers that make bumpers that work with Body Lifts... Maybe you need to have different versions or different mounts / attachment points.

Savage Wolf wrote:
cherokee frame? what frame, they are unibody
94ZebraRanger was probably alluding to the fact that the Jeep Cherokees and Ford Explorers are almost exactly the same overall width, and that Cherokee bumpers would probably be an awesome / easy starting point. In fact, a number of members here have modified Cherokee bumpers to fit their Explorers. (BKennedy is a prime example of such awesome work.) Since there are so many already AWESOME bumpers available for Cherokees - from so many different and equally impressive aftermarket vendors - maybe you should start with making a kit to adapt Cherokee bumpers to the Explorer, or selling modified Cherokee bumpers?

Keep us posted.

tire on roof = High COG = no thanks. A 35" soare weighs about 80# or more, putting that weight up on your roof REALLY raises the center of gravity. I keep my spare as low to the floor as possible, actually it sits where the rear seat once was.
I can tell a big difference when I wheel with the tire on the tailgate (4 seat mode) and then with it strapped to the floor (2 seater)

410Fortune said:
tire on roof = High COG = no thanks. A 35" soare weighs about 80# or more, putting that weight up on your roof REALLY raises the center of gravity. I keep my spare as low to the floor as possible, actually it sits where the rear seat once was.
I can tell a big difference when I wheel with the tire on the tailgate (4 seat mode) and then with it strapped to the floor (2 seater)

I have my spare on the roof and it does get hairy in some off camber situations
(in one event, i knew my X was going to fall over sideways so i gassed it cauz there was an uphill which levelled me out - TOTALLY understimated that depression on the trail cauz it was covered by leaves as it was fall season).

Fitting the bumper

Some D rings would be cool.
As for fit. My guess would be that 95-100% of the 2nd gens to buy a custom offroad bumper would have a 2 or 3" body lift. If they could be made to perfectly fit a 2" BL it would still fit a 3" bl better than we could fab up our old bumper after a 3" body lift. So its real simple, make it to fit a 2" bl and everyone will be real pleased :thumbsup: . So now, how hard would that be to do?
OK now put me down for one.

Oh yeah, I dont like the prerunner stuff. I would like something more like an ARB or Smittybuilt type of bumper. ;) With a good approach angle. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hahaha prerunner stuff. :) You mean tube with a stinger?

Back