• Register Today It's free!

Ticking

numbsun

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountaineer 5.0
I'm not real mechanical. Trying to learn. What would cause a ticking in my engine? I know it's the engine because it ticks faster when it revs higher. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site:chug:

Could be a bad lifter, or it could be the normal ticking of the fuel injectors. Very hard to tell over the Internet;)

If you were to lift the hood, and listen to engine, can you narrow it down as to which side seems to be ticking? ( driver-passenger)
It might help to have someone rev engine while you listen under hood.

I took the liberty of moving this to 1995-2001 explorer tech

Does the ticking seem to get any better or worse as the engines warms up?

Hi, I had the same story blaming valve lash adjusters, timing components, etc. there was simple solution. When I changed engine oil I put FIAMM oil filter. That is rubbish. It does not allow sufficient amount of oil to be pumped so you have rattle one second after start up and this annoying ticking sound (Just like diesel engine). so I decided to change oil with the following additions:
1. I put a 1 liter of special liquid for engine flushing to the oil and let it run for about 15 minutes at about 1500 rpm (accelerating from time to time). this liquid also cleans a carbon deposits from the valves and adjusters.

2. There was a tremendous smoke around my car but finally it stops. so I turned off the engine, drained oil (be carefull -extremely hot !!!) and put new oil filter (this time original - Motorcraft). I put 4,5 liters of 5w30 synthetic oil and after 2 minutes engine runs like new - no rattling, no ticking. at least for now.

regards

archie

Thanks for all the advice so quickly. The only one of the questions you all posted that I can answer is that the ticking is constant. It does not go away or diminish as the engine warms up. Also, yes, it does sound sort of like a diesel. I'll check the other things and see what I can come up with.

Keep 'em coming! You guys are great.

I was asking my question-because the v-8 engine will often develop an exhaust leak, which will sound like this.

Look real closely at the metal tube between passenger side exhaust manifold, and intake manifold--check rubber hoses off of it also.

Listen closely in this area--sound from there???

Just checked. Ticking seems most prominant on the driver side when I listened under the hood. Hope that helps.

Like I said, I really know very very little about this sort of thing, so if you have a specific area for me to listen to or look at, please give me at least a rough idea of where it is. I'm kinda hoping to learn as I go here, and I think I've found the right crowd, so please bear with me.

Thanks again!

A friend who knows a bit more than I listened to it and said it doesn't sound like metal, so he'd rule out rods and lifters. That's his take anyway.

Did you check your oil level? When's the last time you did an oil/filter change?

Back