timing chain cover OHV, remove engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

timing chain cover OHV, remove engine?

Raster

Reaction score
Hello everybody

I've got a 91 eb edition and its been dumping coolant everywhere I go. I got the pressure test and they said it was the timing cover gasket, 700 bucks to repair. Not wanting to pay them 700 dollars, I want to take this one myself. In my haynes manual, it says you have to remove the oil pan to remove the cover. Removing the oil pan means removing the engine... is this true?

Is there a way to get the cover off without removing the pan? Is there enough room to get the oil pan off with the engine still in the vehicle, even if its 4x4?
Thanks for any help,
Jon

I thought you could remove the cover without removing the engine... if not, then I suppose the only way to do it without removing the engine would be to remove the front axle and whatever else happens to be in the way... No clue though, I've never tried myself... It might just be easier to pull the engine itself...

I've generally found that if the manual says it must be done, it probably does. Sometimes there are shortcuts tho like just loosening mounts and raising engine up enough so that you can clear crossmembers while pulling the pan. With that big crossmember under the engine, you will not be able to remove the pan with it mounted how it is. :thumbdwn:

Hm.. not the answer I was hoping for... I bet I can get away with just refilling it for now, as its my only vehicle, until I can get my hands on an engine hoist....Thanks for the help guys

Back