Tired of my black 20's- need opinions on the replacements | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tired of my black 20's- need opinions on the replacements

I have grown tired of my current wheels. When I got them 3+ years ago, black wheels weren't very common; but they are way too common now and dont give a "high performance" vibe. I was wanting to replace them with some 18" Saleens or Cobras, but found these while looking on eBay. What do you guys think? They are 20x8.5 (same as I have now), but are 20mm offset vs. my current 35mm wheels.

ZMCLASSICS1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GA-2...d=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:15|39:1|240:1318

Here is what I have now....

truckside.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

keep the wheels you've got just get them highlighted or something. make them that little bit different.

Your explorer is gorgeous

Si

I like the silver wheels myself. Those look alot like the ones I just got (FR500's)

How heavy are those current 20'S?

I like the silver wheels myself. Those look alot like the ones I just got (FR500's)

How heavy are those current 20'S?

Mine are pretty heavy- like about 80lbs for the wheel/tire combo. I like the FR500's, but I cant find any 20" silver ones.

If you don't mind me saying so I'm really not feeling the look of your current black rims... They are very blocky and not very stylish... I could see them on an all blacked out truck but your ride is tan... But it's YOUR truck so it's a matter of what your taste is, not mine....

If I had a black Ex I definitely would have gotten rims similar to these:

Zinik Z9 Sabini

zinik_z9_blk_c_lip_ci3_l.jpg

Something with a nice radial design...

Pics of my Ex can be found here

If you don't mind me saying so I'm really not feeling the look of your current black rims... They are very blocky and not very stylish... I could see them on an all blacked out truck but your ride is tan... But it's YOUR truck so it's a matter of what your taste is, not mine....

Zinik Z9 Sabini

When I bought these, there were very few black wheels available. I am pretty sure I am not going with any more black wheels. I either get people telling my they love the look of my truck or they hate it- there seems to be no middle ground. I am not a fan of the mixed black/polished wheels like you have; although yours are probably the best looking of that style I have seen. I really like the "mesh" style wheels like I pictured above; I have seen them on a Cayenna and a Touareg and they look great. I wish I could go staggered, but I'd run into AWD issues.

I'll check and see if I can find some. By the way, I weighed just the back rims (18X10) and it was 22 lbs a rim.

It may feel like you added a pound of boost once you get rid of those heavy rims.

I think a wheel that's about the same silver as your trim would go good on your ride. Or (like I'm about to do) get a silver wheel of your choice and make the trim match.

I'll check and see if I can find some. By the way, I weighed just the back rims (18X10) and it was 22 lbs a rim.

It may feel like you added a pound of boost once you get rid of those heavy rims.

I think a wheel that's about the same silver as your trim would go good on your ride. Or (like I'm about to do) get a silver wheel of your choice and make the trim match.

My new 70mm turbo will also help :burnout: I started on the twin turbo swap, but scrapped that idea for a single large turbo. I also am about to swap my stock manifolds for the FMS headers and redo the entire exhaust. Then comes the air/water intercooler.

Those look good, and I'd like to see another wheel on your truck. Finding a wheel that you like is really hard for me. Some people can live with lots of different looks, but I can't. Keep looking though, at some point a wheel will pick you.

I'm glad to hear that you will do some more with your truck. Maybe I can get you to build the A/W IC starting with the same intake as I'm planning for. When I found the link to a TFS "R" intake and an IC on it, it seemed like it would be a popular set of fabricated parts. I have not called them about it though, to find out what they do want for the adapter pieces. I'd like more than a 2" IC though, it's good to find out that many sizes are available. They just aren't cheap.

Attachments

• air_to_water_intercooler4.jpg
    air_to_water_intercooler4.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,740

I like that intake. I've been kicking around ideas to replace the plastic one I have. Dad would love another welding project, I just know he would.

I'd try to find something that is as close to the shade of gray as your fender flares as possible. Also, I'd personally go for a backspacing that would put the tires even with the edge of the flares. There's just something about 2nd gen fender flares that make the vehicle look "fat" to me... like it has love handles. By setting the tires even with the edge of the flares, I think it'll make it look more stable and planted instead of top heavy. I'm not trying to bust any balls or anything, but I don't think your current wheels compliment your X as well as some others would. Gold and silver is a hard combo to work with, imo.

Here's a quick PS:

SilverWheel.jpg

I am pretty sure these wheels are going to be a gift to myself for finishing this project. I'd like to order them now, but I wont be able to drive it anytime soon. Anyway, here is a straight on picture if someone wants to photoshop them for me :)

IM000084Large.jpg

Meh. Don't really like 'em. Too 'stringy' looking and not beefy enough. I'd get 5 spoke gunmetal color ones, but that's just me.

Yeah I was going to say the rims you picked up are very similar to wheels I've seen on a lot of smaller 2-door cars (Honda's/Acura's/etc)... Not really a wheel I've seen on an SUV before....

You can do what I did, take a good side profile picture of your truck (which you already have) and find someone who's good with Photoshop and have them photoshop the wheels onto your vehicle so you can get an idea of what they'll look like.... That's what I did before I purchased my wheels and it convinced me they would look good on my truck:

Photoshopped Picture BEFORE:

explorerzinik.jpg

Actual Picture AFTER:

Picture006.jpg

Meh. Don't really like 'em. Too 'stringy' looking and not beefy enough. I'd get 5 spoke gunmetal color ones, but that's just me.

I cant find any 5 spokes I like in 20's except for Torque Thrusts- which are still a possibility.

Zinik Z9 Sabini

I agree with you man, they just seem like to "blocky" but i love your ex :D

I love the rim ANHEDONIC posted, although I think black rims need accents, as in like black body, or if its white, black handles, pillars, etc...

Id only get black rims on a black or white truck.

I like the ones you posted from ebay though...those would make it look pretty sporty :p

justin, how about some of these...
DSC_0485.jpg

DSC_0480.jpg

justin, how about some of these...
DSC_0485.jpg

DSC_0480.jpg

Those are nice- but I am unsure how they would look on my truck. I dont think I want anything chrome or polished.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love the wheels (touring style), but not sure about them on an explorer. Maybe if it were a little lower.

justinwheels.jpg

It is as low as it can be in the front without turning the torsion bars. My adjuster bolts are in my desk drawer. Its funny how 20's look small on my truck :rolleyes:

I have wanted to try this style of wheel on my Explorer since way back when I first saw this. These are just 17's though....

SUV-199812-2.jpg

Back