Titanvs F150 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Titanvs F150

the Nissan Titan beats the Ford F150 in anyway you could think of, i wouldnt think twice bout wich one to buy, ur son made the right choice the new F150 its a joke my 5.0 *96* its faster then the 5.4 F150 *05*
trucks are not made that good anymore older F150's had awesome power.... i just question Ford...where did the power go?????? i guess Nissan took it all =]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can we discuss these two vehicles without posing our comments in such a way as to insult other members and start a flamewar?

Hear this now, read the rules at the top of this forum. This forum is for mature, polite, discussion of other makes and models that are not the Ford Explorer. Discussion and comparison of vehicles is the whole point, BUT do not disparage another vehicle or another member's choice simply because it opens the thread to arguments and flames.

If you're going to be an #######, don't post in my forum.

FexplorerV8 gets a warning too.

Hey guys, i have raced a 4.6L f150 (havent raced a 5.4 yet), but i passed it like it was standing still, as for the titans a couple of guys on my board have raced them with their hemi's and they said that 1st gear they are almost even and then after that they fall off, if i had a choice i would def get the f150 over the titan, IMO its too small and i dont think its built as good as the domestic trucks, and i agree with Fexplorer that they need to do something about this lack of power

98Sport said:
...they need to do something about this lack of power
I have the 5.4 in my F-150 4x4 SuperCrew, and unless the Explorer is modified, you're not going to be able to beat it in a drag race with a '96 Explorer V8 (yes Mike, your Dodge is quicker than my F-150 :mattmoon: :D ). The 5.4 3V motor is rated at 300 hp, 365 ft-lb torque, vs the '96 5.0 Explorer being rated at 210 hp and 280 Ft-lb torque. The Explorer does weigh less, but not enough less to make up a 90 hp and 85 ft-lb torque disadvantage.

The 0-60 time on the 2005 5.4 F-150 Super Crew 4x4 is listed at 6.9 Seconds, and the 1996 Explorer 4door 5.0 is rated at 9.1 seconds.......I know who wins that race....

The Titan is slightly quicker to 60 than the F-150. The King Cab 4x4 (comparable to my Supercrew 4x4) lists at 6.8 seconds, but the F-150 has a greater bed capacity and a higher towing rating.

My last vehicle was a '01 Explorer SOHC which was rated at 205 hp, and it was nowhere near as quick as the F-150. We also test drove an '05 Explorer back to back with the F-150 and were amazed at how much quicker the F-150 really is.

JDraper said:
I have the 5.4 in my F-150 4x4 SuperCrew, and unless the Explorer is modified, you're not going to be able to beat it in a drag race with a '96 Explorer V8. The 5.4 3V motor is rated at 300 hp, 365 ft-lb torque, vs the '96 5.0 Explorer being rated at 210 hp and 280 Ft-lb torque. The Explorer does weigh less, but not enough less to make up a 90 hp and 85 ft-lb torque disadvantage.

The 0-60 time on the 2005 5.4 F-150 Super Crew 4x4 is listed at 6.9 Seconds, and the 1996 Explorer 4door 5.0 is rated at 9.1 seconds.......I know who wins that race....

The Titan is slightly quicker to 60 than the F-150. The King Cab 4x4 (comparable to my Supercrew 4x4) lists at 6.8 seconds, but the F-150 has a greater bed capacity and a higher towing rating.

My last vehicle was a '01 Explorer SOHC which was rated at 205 hp, and it was nowhere near as quick as the F-150. We also test drove an '05 Explorer back to back with the F-150 and were amazed at how much quicker the F-150 really is.

Jeff how about I race your new F-150 with your Mach :D

Blee1099 said:
Jeff how about I race your new F-150 with your Mach :D

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Ain't no way you're driving the Mach!!

JDraper said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Ain't no way you're driving the Mach!!

I figured so.. I was just trying to add some humor to you & Sue's life.. We all know that old people need to stay happy.. :mattmoon:

Blee1099 said:
I figured so.. I was just trying to add some humor to you & Sue's life.. We all know that old people need to stay happy.. :mattmoon:

We stay happy by laughing at you young whippersnappers :D :confused:

Man I just read through this thread and there be a wee bit of assinine commentary :rolleyes:

For my .02 though I tend to agree with the gist of some of those assinine posts. Buy the blue oval and leave everything else for the rest. :thumbsup:

Sorry but all I have ever owned is fords with one exception. That one exception was a VW and I was grateful to finally trade it in on a Ford.

True true I have no point for comparison as I have not owned a wide variety of makes, but I do most of the mechanical work for all of my friends and co-workers. Repair wise my truck gets maybe 5% of the issues that others have had.....Likely due to constant maintenance and their lack of, but my point is simple. I like ford and would prefer not to own any variations :D

Now to con the GF into trading her Kia in on a ford :p

Good choice with the Nissan! I looked into buying an F150 a year ago and you should see the problems the owners are having with these things already. Lots of TSB's. I will never again buy a newer Ford. I used to own a 2002 Explorer, what a piece of junk! Had it in the shop something like 13 times! Got rid of it (was only able to get $15,000.00 for it) and bought a 2005 Toyota Sequioa (Limited) and could not be happier. Toyota and Nissan build far superior vehicles.

Considering that I work for one of the parts suppiers for the Titan/Armada/QX56, and I know about the people in Mississippi since I live in Mississippi, I'm still a little too scared to buy a Canton, MS-made vehicle for now. I know too many people at the other suppliers and at the Nissan-Canton plant and know too much info at these plants to buy something that I plan to keep for over 5 years. This is one of the reasons why I recently bought an '05 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 instead of an '05 Titan SE Crew Cab 4x4.

However, if I was planning on leasing a new truck for only 2-3 years, the Titan would be pretty tempting....

Rscotts1 said:
Good choice with the Nissan! I looked into buying an F150 a year ago and you should see the problems the owners are having with these things already. Lots of TSB's. I will never again buy a newer Ford. I used to own a 2002 Explorer, what a piece of junk! Had it in the shop something like 13 times! Got rid of it (was only able to get $15,000.00 for it) and bought a 2005 Toyota Sequioa (Limited) and could not be happier. Toyota and Nissan build far superior vehicles.

I haven't had any problems with my f150 which i've had for almost a year. There was a cold start issue the day after i bought it, but after the starter got broke in abit not a single other problem :D

JDraper said:

where did you get this info?

what i have heard an seen is..

96 2wd 5.0 V8 explorer 0-60 does it in 8.8
http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/spec1996.htm

2005 f-150 super crew 4x4 5.4 does it in 8.9
http://motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/112_0503_up_ford/

i'm just going to go by those numbers because i dont want to argue about what we have seen/heard in the real world). i have drivin a 04' super crew 4x4 5.4 an it feels very sluggish. i blame that on the throttle(sp?) by wire. our '03 5.4 feels quicker..but again it has a real throttle cable. but the '04-'05 f-150 is surely not quicker then a 5.0 X(stock to stock). IMO the X is alittle quicker. but thats not what these numbers say. they say they are about dead even..

but i had allways seen the 5.0X putting down 8sec flat to 60

and the new f-150s somwhere in the 9sec range to 60.

but i cant base that on fact right here. so lets just say they are pretty close.

and OMG i have to say those new f-150 lariats are amazing..i dident want to give the one that i was drving up. it was soooo nice cream white interior was like a luxo car :D

EDIT i just found this link. this sounds more right to me. it says the 0-60 time of the super crew f-150 5.4 is 9.9 sec. that sounds alittle more like it. but who knows
http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2302.shtml
"2004 Ford F-150

Engine 5.4-liter SOHC V-8

Horsepower 300

Torque 365 lb feet

0-60 mph 9.9 seconds

1/4 mile 17.4 seconds @ 81 mph

60-0 mph 150 feet

EPA Mileage 14 mpg city
18 mpg highway "

I just got a new f150 too...and so far...I love it. It is an 05 Screw FX4 fully loaded. I like the power and such of the Titan, but cant stand the styling. Since getting it 2 weeks ago, I have tinted the front windows to match, installed rain guards, added a soft tonneau, and put on a custom dual IMCO setup. I like her even more now. ;)

Attachments

• truck.gif
    truck.gif
    91.6 KB · Views: 189

96limitedX said:
where did you get this info?

Well, since ya waited a month after I posted, I'm having all sorts of fun finding the info again :rolleyes: . I shoulda put the links in....my bad. However, it was pulled off a google search (I think from my work computer since I was on the road on business that day, so I don't have the search saved on this computer) and I did another one.

From http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib_autos.php/year=2005/modelid=136/range=4 they list 05 F-150 4x4 with the 5.4 0-60 times anywhere from 6.7 to 7.2 seconds, with my exact truck listed at 7.2 (http://www.pricegrabber.com/show_car_specs.php/vid=100148/)

I'm having trouble finding the data on the 1998 Explorer (outside of stuff from this site). Even if 8.1 is correct, the #'s on the 05 5.4 F150 say it should still win.

Between 04 and 05, Ford did a significant change in the computer programming of the 5.4 motor that drastically improved the throttle response and the acceleration. You are correct that the '04 has anemic throttle response as it came from the factory, but there is a computer upgrade that is supposed to fix that issue.

The other reason for the discrepancies may be gearing...My Lariat has the towing package which gives me the 3.73 rear axle, which is significantly better off the line than the 3.55 stock ratio. I have driven both my stock F-150 and a stock 5.0 Explorer, and the F-150 feels quicker. Hopefully one day I'll be able to go head to head against a 5.0 Explorer to see who wins :)

i would like to see that also. the '04 i drove was built in 8/04(idk is that is a late/early build date) anyway it had 3:73s also. it just felt like there was a huge hesitaion..but it did sqeel off the line nice. but it did not feel(again i have no numbers.. just seat of the pants feel) anywhere near faster then a 5.0 X. and i am comparing this to our '97 AWD 5.0. but then again every truck is different. and the fact the the 5.0 is 8 years old may have bad/good effects on proformance..who knows

i was just saying i have never seen numbers that low for a super crew 4x4 unless it was blown. and the experance i have had with them it did not feel anywhere near those numbers.

and i dident wait a month after your post. i just dident read in here untill today..sorry about that.

anyway i think the only way to know for sure is to head to the track with any car/truck to find out its true "numbers" are.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know it may not mean a lot, but seat of the pants is real hard on these trucks. I know 3 people that own new f150s and we have all said, it is very easy to be speeding and not know it. The feel of "speed" in this truck tends to be off. There are many times when i have caught myself going 35 down the side street and it DEFINATELY did not feel like i was going that fast.

Back