Titanvs F150 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Titanvs F150

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
My son is in the immediate market for a new truck. He has narrowed it down to a Nissan Titan a Ford F150.

We went shopping this morning.

Man, was I disappointed with the Ford. I have been a Ford owner for years and have purchased many new Fords over he years.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks ........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would take a Titan any day. The F150 just doesn't match up.

Hartman said:
I would take a Titan any day. The F150 just doesn't match up.

Thats what we determined this morning.

The F150 was an XLT model and was very cheap looking. The back seat leg room was no where near as much as the Titan. The Ford seats were uncomfortable. And the Titan was almost $10k less money for a lot more truck.

I know a guy who bought the four door model. He told me a story about him and his went out with an ATV in the bed to do some muddin'..... On their return trip home he had to slam on the brakes (for some reason or another) and the bed flexxed soooo much that the ATV handle bars smashed the back glass. An in-law of mine bought a new F-150 Lariat extended cab with the 5.4 and I think that thing kicks a$$. Just my opinion though.

It just seems as if Ford just refuses to make a truck with a competitve engine or a decent interior. I love the look of the new F150, and the suspension improvements are nice, but thats it. Since the F150 is the best selling pickup, I don't think they try as hard to create a more refined vehicle. They are just sitting on their lead right now.

Nissan did a good job with the Titan. It's about time too.

Performance wise: I'd take the Titan
Looks wise: The F-150

I don't think that Ford was that concerned with the power rating of the F150s. If you want a fast truck, they want you to buy the new Lightnings, which will be VERY fast with a 6 speed. Titans got the DOHC advantage for the extra power also.

I have not driven a Titan yet, but my roommate had an rental F150 quad cab while her car was in the shop. Smooth riding truck, nice and quiet, and even the base V8 had enough grunt for my tastes.... But... the interior still seems cheap. The shifter, the plasticy center console, the feel of the switches and stuff like that. I like every switch to have a very positive snap or click and the interior has a lot of hard, cheap plastic that looks easy to scratch.

I'm sure the Titan will have similar if not equal ride quality. I would expect the quality to be better. As far as looks, I really don't care too much, I'll put my money with quality first.

The only thing that would scare me about the Titan is that it's a new truck and Nissan hasn't ever done a full size before. They did plenty of research and seem to have gotten it right (dana axles, 5.6L V8, Rancho shocks, etc) but Ford does have an excellent track record with its FSeries pick ups.

That said trusting Car and Driver and other reputable magazines to make up for a lack of personal experience, I'd get the Titan.

I've got an '04 F-150 SuperCrew XLT that I've had for about 6 months now and I love it. I'll agree that it's not made to be a fast truck, but I didn't buy it for that either. I've heard there's some good aftermarket tuners that make it respond a lot better, if that's what you're looking for. As far as ride quality, it's the smoothest ride I've ever felt in a truck. Personally, I like the looks of the interior. I've grown up on Ford trucks and have never driven anything else, so I don't have a lot to compare to, but it's by far better than any other truck I've driven.

Buyers nowadays are looking to have towing capacity, a smooth ride, a semi-plush interior, AND a good amount of power. So a statement like "if someone wants a fast truck, they will buy a lightning" will not suffice for most buyers.

Dad's got an '05 F-150. These are NOT slow by any means. This thing will scoot. It rides really nice, handles well, and can tow fine. The seats sit like crap, and the interior is not the greatest, but the exterior styling owns the Titan any day.

BeauJ said:
I don't think that Ford was that concerned with the power rating of the F150s. If you want a fast truck, they want you to buy the new Lightnings, which will be VERY fast with a 6 speed. Titans got the DOHC advantage for the extra power also.

Didn't they stop making the Lightning?

Titan:
nissantruck_titancrewcab_le4x4_2005_385x192.jpg

F-150:
fordtruck_f150regularcab4x2_145inwbxlstyleside_2005_385x192.jpg

I bought an 05 f-150 and love it. First off it looks TONS better than the Nissan. The seats are alittle stiff to start off with but once they break in their really comfortable in my opinion. It has decent power even with the smaller v8...could be alittle better but it's not bad (am planning on a chip, exaust and intake for it). I'm sure the Nissan is a good truck...but i'm not going to buy one anytime soon :D

Hartman said:
Buyers nowadays are looking to have towing capacity, a smooth ride, a semi-plush interior, AND a good amount of power. So a statement like "if someone wants a fast truck, they will buy a lightning" will not suffice for most buyers.

That statement is not aimed at all people. If someone is looking for a truck to compete with a luxary car speed wise, then they could turn to a Lightning. People have different opinions and objections to what is "fast". Some may feel it fast enough for them, others may want faster. I said the statement to make someone realize they're driving a 5500 lb. truck with 300 hp, not 500 hp.

aldive said:
Didn't they stop making the Lightning?

Ford stopped the SVT program until 2006. But then the new Cobra and Lightning will be out :thumbsup:

I am an American. There are more than enough American vehicles to choose from. There are hundreds of total new American vehicles. Looking at used different years and models, there are thousands of American choices. There is no excuse for ignoring all of those American vehicles, and buying an Asian vehicle.

All of the profit from any vehicle ends up in the country of the manufacturer. I don't mind people buying European vehicles, or other North American vehicles, but the countries in Asia are the worst abusers of human rights, and fair trade practices. Those large corporations, and countries who have a financial connection to them, are buying America, with the money that "we" give to them. They are investing their profits by buying American real estate, American companies, etc.

The bottom line is that, as consumers we have power, tons of power. But buying foreign products is simply a voluntary way that you/we are giving our country away. When there is an American product to choose from, do not buy the foreign product. If you want to complain, complain to the American companies and make them make what you want. Don't give your money to Asia.
Proud to be an American,
CDW

CDW6212R said:
I am an American. There are more than enough American vehicles to choose from. There are hundreds of total new American vehicles. Looking at used different years and models, there are thousands of American choices. There is no excuse for ignoring all of those American vehicles, and buying an Asian vehicle.

All of the profit from any vehicle ends up in the country of the manufacturer. I don't mind people buying European vehicles, or other North American vehicles, but the countries in Asia are the worst abusers of human rights, and fair trade practices. Those large corporations, and countries who have a financial connection to them, are buying America, with the money that "we" give to them. They are investing their profits by buying American real estate, American companies, etc.

The bottom line is that, as consumers we have power, tons of power. But buying foreign products is simply a voluntary way that you/we are giving our country away. When there is an American product to choose from, do not buy the foreign product. If you want to complain, complain to the American companies and make them make what you want. Don't give your money to Asia.
Proud to be an American,
CDW
Amen. :thumbsup:

wired_af said:

look at some other brands as welll...mabey just not the Ford...but keep it American :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CDW6212R said:

Proud to be an American,
CDW

You said it. :thumbsup:

Back