Top radius arm bracket/stud removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Top radius arm bracket/stud removal

Nick_Good

Reaction score
I cant seem to get the top radius arm stud/bolt off of my 93' "x". I cant budge it with a 1 1/8" wrench. My socket is not deep enough to fit it due to the height of the stud, so i cant get my breaker bar and pipe on it. any ideas, is there any where i could get a deep enough socket to fit it? Please reply ASAp because this is my first day off in a long time and I wanted to get as much done as possible.
Thanks,
Nick Good

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes you need a deep socket, 1/2" drive and extension to get through the top of the coil bucket. Then a breaker bar to help get it loose.

If you can get a wrench on it through the winding of the coil (if you jack the trucks frame way up and let the axle droop it helps) use two wrenches together for leverage.

They are tough from the factory, torque rating is like 150 ft lbs :)

yep basically everything 410 said

i always use a foot long extention, and like a 3-4in on top of that so i can go in through the top of the coil.

I have the axle off the explorer. the coil is off and so is the retaining washer. To be able to get the stud/bolt off the socket would need to be about 3" deep due to the lenght of the stud. A normal deep socket is not fitting it.

wrench or socket its your only choice, you can put two big wrenches together for leverage.
You can also try to heat up the stud with a torch before removing it.
It will come out, they are tough to get

leverage is the key

Liquid wrench/PB blaster?

I just measured my Craftsman 1 1/8" deep socket. Bolt can go in 2 1/2". If your bolt is longer, maybe trim off a little.

Back