Torque converter to flywheel/flexplate bolt alignment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque converter to flywheel/flexplate bolt alignment

Xylene

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT V8
I just rebuilt my 302 5.0l engine and have a question about the torque converter to flywheel/flexplate (I can't remember which one is which for an automatic) bolts. Does it matter what bolt goes where? There are 4 of them, I marked the bolt to the flywheel before removing it, but didn't check when I reinstalled. Will this lead to isssues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No worries.

They aren’t balanced as a unit.

It was advised to me to use new nuts with a dab of blue loctite. Not sure if it is necessary, but I haven’t lost one yet

They aren’t balanced as a unit.

It was advised to me to use new nuts with a dab of blue loctite. Not sure if it is necessary, but I haven’t lost one yet
I have been on the hunt for new flanged nuts grade 8 (it looks like what was on it) but I haven't been able to find any

I bought a set on eBay as i recall.

This is where I find stuff like this McMaster-Carr <<catalog
Nuts>> unless you have a part number Then buy that

I love McMaster Carr, just wish they had smaller sizes. When I need 4 nuts and they sell batches of 100 lol

I love McMaster Carr, just wish they had smaller sizes. When I need 4 nuts and they sell batches of 100 lol
Yep fastest delivery period
Lol if you can't find what your looking for in their catalog then look again lol

I don't mind the extra
Needles to say I have collected a bit of hardware over the years
All stored in Christmas cookies tin containers

The Mr Gasket p/n should be 6717. 3/8-24 flange nuts.

Look closely at the factory nuts. They are kinda "smashed" looking, the threaded hole is slightly ovaled to stake the nut in place once torqued to spec. Reuse em if they arent rounded off.

Look closely at the factory nuts. They are kinda "smashed" looking, the threaded hole is slightly ovaled to stake the nut in place once torqued to spec. Reuse em if they arent rounded off.
I was able to reuse 3 of the 4. I wasn't able to find an exact replacement for the 4th so I ended up buying a self lock flange nut from Ace Hardware. If this isn't a good idea I can order a set online (no local stores carry them). I was trying to finish up my project this week, but if I need new bolts I can wait for them to come in the mail. I would rather do it right, then have to deal with it later.

Back