Torsion/Coilover Conversion | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion/Coilover Conversion

How hard are you actually gonna use the truck??

LOL. I don't even know how to start that answer - look at my avatar and read some of my trip reports. I've probably got about the most long-term abused 2nd gen Explorer here that hasn't done a SAS. I'm on 35's, got lockers front and rear, etc... and I use them.

The short answer would be as a daily driver onroad and occasional heavy towing of a very large boat, plus a few times per year fairly extreme rockcrawling and trail 4x4ing. I don't do desert/fast Baja'ing so there's no need for reservoirs or other heat/dissipating custom high-dollar shock stuff.

I went ahead and did a test order... I'm gonna do the entire installation on my left side and see how it works/fits. RCD brackets with a QA1 shock and a Hypercoil 800lb coilover spring - both should arrive sometime next week, hopefully in time to do the mod over the holiday weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Id look at more gusseting and a possible simple engine cage/bar tying the two shock towers together. Thats one of the things im looking at for if i go coilovers, i really dont think that stock upper mount can handle much abuse at all. Id wasnt designed with holding the weight of the truck in mind.

Ohh yeah the other plus to the fox shocks is being totally rebuildable and revalvable. You can make it ride and perform how you want, and it will be the last pair of shocks you ever have to buy.

I'm going to weld the RCD gussets onto the shock towers; they don't look like that much extra but I figure that they must have tested them enough to have confidence in them.

Brian, I chose 800lb after reading a couple of other threads with posts by other members that have done this sort of mod with lifted 2nd gens... it seems a couple have tried 700~750lb that settled down after a few months, plus I've got a brushguard and other heavy stuff, plus I'd like to finally put a winch up front at some point, and have coils heavy enough to take it. Another factor is that the QA1 shcoks are not gas charged to 200lbs like the Foxes are and so may need more coil load.

I only ordered one shock and coil in case it doesn't work out I can adjust accordingly without wasting extra money.

cool, im definitely following!

Theres a guy on ranger forums that did this in conjunction with the superlift and used a 750# hypercoil spring, but like i said he has a superlift.

I think your on the right track GJarrett with the 800# coil with the bumper and winch, let us know how it turns out.

And yes GJarrett has beat up his 2nd gen, i got the 'bug' from watching pics of his explorer back in 2000

I just got the QA1 shock and am waiting for the Hypercoil. This shock is way bling, LOL. I may have to shine up the ol' Ex once I get them installed :)

can't wait to see it all together... please do an extensive writeup and approximate cost as well as sources if you don't mind.. which i am sure you will as you have in the past!

Good luck!

:feedback:

I just got the coils yesterday :rolleyes: and have been sent out of state for most of the week for work... will get back to it this weekend hopefully.

Well I had time to get the coil on, but haven't adjusted it yet for height or welded the shock tower gussets on yet. Here's a couple of photos that show it can be done on a non-lifted Explorer.

DSCF0793.jpg

DSCF0792.jpg

This is real preliminary. I usually wait until I'm finished before reporting but know that some of you wanted to know where I'm at with it. Remember I still have a snapped tranny crossmember to rebuild and the shock tower gussets to weld before it's driveable. Plus I just had the battery totally crap out on me so now I have to go buy a battery.

Until then I won't know if 800 lb coils are too much or not with these QA1 shocks that aren't gas-charged to 200lbs like the Foxes are. I can report that the QA1 shock with the 14" extended length worked absolutely perfect and any of you interested in doing this to a non-lifted Explorer should give serious consideration to getting these instead of Foxes. They have 12 dampening settings (I'm sure it will take awhile to finetune the dampening settings and figure out the best one to use) and the extended length is about a 1/2" shy of full CV angle, so the shock itself can be used for the droop limiter. The problem with the Foxes was that there was none that came nearly this close to the compressed/extended length needed for non-lifted application and the QA1 is nearly dead-on. Plus the QA1's are a heckuva lot cheaper.

I do note that the brake line is dangerously close to the coil and might actually end up residing between a couple of the coil levels.... I will probably need to figure out how to reroute the brakeline. The second photo does a pretty good job of showing the brakeline sitting in harm's way waiting to get pinched. There's so little shock travel (3.5" or so) that even at full compression the coils may not close enough to pinch it, but that is yet to be determined.

Otherwise there were no surprises. As expected, I had to cut off the bumpstop mount to clear the coil, but I did NOT have to grind out the upper control arm (which others have said was required on the lift) so maybe the non-lifted aspect keeps the upper arm further out of harm's way than when lifted.

The coil is REAL close to the axleshaft but it does clear it, so I'll call that as a miss is as good as a mile. As the photo shows, it is angled from vertical pretty good, but that was also expected. I don't know at this point if that will have any noticeable effect.

We are going on vacation next weekend so it may be another two weeks before I get it operational and moving again. Once that occurs I'll post a report on actual performance and if any problems cropped up.

Looks good GJ, keep us updated on your progress...

I've been thinking of getting a 4dr X for a DD, and if i do, i would like to do this.

Excuse me for butting in-

Is there a complete parts list for this conversion somewhere?

Gerald, This is looking good. I do hope i get to see this in person in a few weeks:thumbsup:

Jon, this all started on this thread http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186393 which is now about six gazillion posts long and would take a whole day to get through. However the first post has all the part numbers of the RCD brackets needed. RCD designed their kit for Rangers and has a policy of not selling to Explorers, so you'll need a friend at one of the distributorships that sell RCD kits, or buy it for your Ranger ;)

You can go online to RCD to save and print install directions and figure out how to install the parts. They are all bolt-on except for the shock tower gussets which need to be welded, and you'll have to trim the bumpstop to clear the coils. After that it's a matter of researching and figuring out which shock you want to install and the spring rate of the coils that will work.

Okay, I took Herc for a test drive today and have learned a couple of things.

First the bad news. I may have underestimated the shock length; the QA1s with 14" extended length are IMO a little shy of the length I want. There's not enough droop. I now think the QA1 shocks that are one inch longer will be the perfect fit and may in fact be perfect length to use without a limit strap.

Now the good news. I may have lucked into the perfect setup without having to mess with any finetuning. With the 800 lb coils and the dampening set halfway at six clicks, this thing rides absolutely perfectly. Remember that at this stage I have the coilover conversion on my left side and the stock torsion twist on the right. I was expecting Herc to act really squirrelly with two totally different suspensions on each side of the front but there's no problem at all. I played with steering back and forth while driving at highway speeds and had no problems at all. The 800 lb coils are a little stiffer than the right side feels, but not that much different. It does ride like a truck, not a car.

For my vehicle (a 4dr with 4wd) and carrying more added weight up front such as rocksliders and brushguard, I think the 800 lb coil with a QA1 will prove to be the way to go. If I had a 2dr and less trail weight, or wanted a less-trucklike ride, maybe 750 lb coils will be better.

I plan to drive Herc on a 600 mile roundtrip this weekend and will report how the suspension settled down. Yes, I'll be driving across two states and fourwheel in sand dunes on NC beaches with two totally different front suspensions, LOL.

Should be interesting, eh? If ya'll will stay tuned for another month while I fine tune this, I should be able to designate exactly what to do in order to do this mod on your vehicle without wasting the money I am on wrong-length shocks and other misc items.

Do you foresee any problems with the shock tower, considering it's now holding up the entire weight of the front end? I have always wondered if it would hold up without reinforcement or gusseting or something along those lines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you foresee any problems with the shock tower, considering it's now holding up the entire weight of the front end? I have always wondered if it would hold up without reinforcement or gusseting or something along those lines.

x2. looks really good and im glad its working out for you. id gusset the crap out of that upper mount though. ive personally seen them snap right off with the desert guys.

Back