• Register Today It's free!

Track Night?

whadeduck

Reaction score
City, State
Estero, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Has anyone ever taken their 6th generation Explorer, an ST to be specific, and gone to a track night at a road course track? I have a 2022 ST and was thinking about seeing what it can do in a controlled environment at Sebring Raceway. Has anyone already done that? I think it might be fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be cool.

Never tried that. Ford used to offer an ST driving experience at a few tracks in the U.S. to new ST owners. I think the pandemic killed that. In the end, it's an SUV so I don't know how good a track experience it would be. As John Steinbeck wrote and someone once used when talking about old Porsche 911 racers, "You can't make a race horse out of a pig... but you can make a very fast pig."

Actually the ST driving experience is back on, has been for a while now. I went to Ashville NC back in April. You have 1 year from day of delivery to register and it's all free and paid for by ford. You just need to show up on your dime. There are two locations, Ashville North Carolina and Park City Utah. I heard they are also offering a real track day, but that one will cost you about 1600 from what I hear.

Never tried that. Ford used to offer an ST driving experience at a few tracks in the U.S. to new ST owners. I think the pandemic killed that. In the end, it's an SUV so I don't know how good a track experience it would be. As John Steinbeck wrote and someone once used when talking about old Porsche 911 racers, "You can't make a race horse out of a pig... but you can make a very fast pig."
Carrol Shelby said something like that about the Mustangs.

Just be sure to call ahead & make sure they'll let you participate.
I remember when I used to do autocross, there were a few SUVs/Trucks that would come out. Very few were declined, the ones most common were Forester XT & Ford Lightning or Tacoma.

And be wary if you only have the 1 bolt cross member. There are a couple videos out there with the one bolt breaking on a hard launch.

Carrol Shelby said something like that about the Mustangs.

I like this Shelby quote:
There is no such thing as too much horsepower. Just not enough traction.

Back