Trail Master 4" lift install and questions 1994 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trail Master 4" lift install and questions 1994 XLT

SBJ420

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor NS
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I picked up a 4" trail master lift today. Came complete with leafs. I paid $800 Canadian new at a local auto store.
I plan on installing this in a weekend with some help.
First I have a few questions,
will I need to get my drive shaft's extended?
What are the best extended brake lines?
I will post lots of pics every step of the way.
liftkit1.jpg

I am installing this on a 1994 XLT, auto....... Tranny was just rebuilt a few months ago. around 245,000KM
only mod it has now is a 3" body lift and 33x12.5x15 TSL super swamper's.
eagleridgejan0608009.jpg

eagleridgejan0608023.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm are those leafs for a ranger? Just looks like the center bolt is on the wrong side but maybe not.
After installing my 4in lift the driveshafts did not have to be extended, I think if you go over 6in then you have driveshaft issues.
I'm not sure on the brakes lines as I didn't want to wait for them to arrive so I used some from a 04 Superduty since the local parts store had them in stock. They work just as good and are 4 in longer than stock.

Its not for a ranger, all the part #'s line up.
Thanks for the info on the drive shafts!
How much where the break lines?
What do you do for the rear breaks?

The only trucks that I know had problems with the 4" lift where the extended cab rangers with the 2 peice shaft, since you have a 1 peice you should be fine.

Stainless braided are really nice, but may not be worth the price of admission :dunno:

Do you have a good cutting wheel on an angle grinder? you will need it to get those rivets out of the stock TTB brackets?

I just got a new 4.5" grinder, I work at a Industrail Parts store called Kaman, we sell the best cutting disk's and I can get 1000's of them. I was thinking about those rivtes today. Is there any more other than the radius arm brackets and the TTB brackets?
Will I need to drill anything out for this kit to bolt on?
The kit lacked instructions

One thing to watch out for is the drop bracket for the passenger beam. Grind the corner of it down or you might end up with a hole in the aluminum diff.

A lot of people run the Procomp extended lines.

I was lucky enough to not have any rivets on the radius arm brackets because the previous owner already had the radius arm bushings replaced. Those rivets on the drop down brackets are a PITA to remove, that took the longest of the whole installation.

Thanks alot for that site. Seems to be the same, other than the rear.
I am going to price out the Pro Comp brake lines. Any good sites online that sell them? What U-Bolts can I use for the 8.8, as I am using new leaf springs.
I take it this can be done in a weekend with air tools and a grinder, and two people

Also what will I need to do to the rear brakes?

I have the same lift on my rig and I did not have to extend my driveshafts.
Good to see another lifted Ex. in the lower mainland.:thumbsup:

Check and replace any old bushings and ball joints while the suspension is apart.

The rear brakes are a single line that runs to the center of the diff and then is sent to either side.
IMG_0175-1.jpg

(Thats my Ranger, but that is a Explorer8.8 diff)
I don't think I even used a extended line on mine(just let it loose from some of the factory clips on the frame, and no problems). I used Skyjacker extended braided lines on my 94( on the front anyways, no sense in taking a chance).

I have the same lift on my rig and I did not have to extend my driveshafts.
Good to see another lifted Ex. in the lower mainland.:thumbsup:

:ca::ca:
good to see! :thumbsup: Where abouts are you located?
Thanks for the pic of the brake lines in the rear, I will do the same.
I plan on doing all the bushings and bearings and brakes when I do the swap.

I just need to find some shocks that I want to use and figure out what U-Bolts I need to get and get my brake lines than the swap will start :thumbsup:

I'm up in North Vancouver. Once I get my new manual shift BW1354 transfer case together(tired of fixing the silly shift motor) we should do an outing somewhere. Latley I'v been mainly running on logging roads(as per no 4x4 lol) up in Squamish to go shooting. "Squamish, you can shoot anything up there, I mean anything" - quote from North Van RCMP when they pulled us over on the way up there one day with a rig full of non-restricted guns.

Oh on other thing I wanted to mention, I had to modify one TTB drop bracket because the aftermarket one didn't fit in the frame so I had to round off a few corners to make sure it sat flush on the frame cross member. You just need to watch for that type of stuff.

I'm up in North Vancouver. Once I get my new manual shift BW1354 transfer case together(tired of fixing the silly shift motor) we should do an outing somewhere. Latley I'v been mainly running on logging roads(as per no 4x4 lol) up in Squamish to go shooting. "Squamish, you can shoot anything up there, I mean anything" - quote from North Van RCMP when they pulled us over on the way up there one day with a rig full of non-restricted guns.

Yeah lets do that. The last few runs we have just went up to Eagle Ridge. Have you been up there? In Coquitlam... I am just over the bridge in Surrey....
:shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot::ca:
Thanks for the info guys. Can't wait till next weekend to put this in. I think I may just get the Trail Master shocks and the pro comp lines :thumbsup::thumbsup:

hey man i got my stainless front lines from mopac in langley i can get you that part numbers its 2 fittings and a line... for each side cost me like 80 bucks out the door for the fronts and its nice because if you pinch a line the line itsself is only 18 bucks the fittings are the exspensive part.

yeah that would be great. Hook me up with the part#!
That mopac is huge. What brand are they?
so its $80 a side or $80 total?

80 total for both sides i didn't do a rear line when i did my soa i just bent the metal line down a bit and it was fine but for the front lines the fittings and steal line are made by russsle you'll need 4 fittings and 2 lines im going to the shop today soo all try and get the part numbers the boxes are still there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

part # would be great. Sport truck and North shore are quoting me $121 for the set. Comes with the rear line as well. I got some pro comp ES3000's today, $38 each. thats the 4" extended ones

Back