Trail Run at Casparus Mine Trail near Connellsville, Pa. 22nd of Sept.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trail Run at Casparus Mine Trail near Connellsville, Pa. 22nd of Sept..

MidnightRebel07

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
I'm getting a trail run together for the 22nd of this month. It's going to be near Connellsville, Pa. on the Casparus Mine Trail, if you go on YouTube you can see a couple videos of trucks running the trails. I have four trucks going so far.

If you are interested then please post here so we can get as many members and non members together for this trail run.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just be prepared for scratches because a lot of it is grown in with some brush, besides the main trail which was widened and smoothed for logging that they did. The trails are mainly through state game lands 51 and some of it is on land the quarry owns. As long as the trails are respected there should be no issues as there are always people riding mountain bikes, dirt bikes and quads around the area. I know some of the trails but not much...

We could prob have a picnic style lunch somewhere up there as there are some open places.

Jerry, make a list in your post with who all will be attending.

Also, if you don't want to get your ride dirty you can park in somewhere and jump in with someone else.

sounds like its gonna be an awesome run rebel, wish i could get out there with my fellow sport trac bretheren, but im all the way out here on the west coast. in fact, me and the gf just got back from a three day trail run through the sierra mountains where we camped, hiked, fished, and went swimming in lakes and rivers through the tahoe forest. we are dead tired this morning. take lots of pictures bro!

Lol, I don't care if my truck gets dirty. you've run the trails down there so how are the trails looking? Are they swamped out or good to run without sinking to the doors? Get as many rigs together down your way as you can. I gotta get the names and rig types that said their coming from both sites.

Ok, Kyle M. from MyST is coming. He has a 2003 ST. You have a 1997 Ex Sport. My 2003 ST.

Lono, between you and Luke talking and posting pictures of trailin' out on the west coast and in the mountains I'm seriously gonna have to start playing the lottery and win so I can move back out there.

I'll see if my buddy wants to take his lifted ranger fx4 out. He need a new cv joint first though.

Tell him to run it as is and kill it the right way. Then he can replace it and save the new one from all the mud getting into it. Lol. Just put the word out to anyone you see with a 4x4, the more the better. I'm going through all the threads I posted on different sites to see who's all going.

Its pretty shot, it makes all kinds of noises already.

I don't even recognize those trails on the video, there is a lot up there. Someone should bring a GPS unless someone has a smartphone with one that way we can navigate which way we need to go to get back out.

There is a swimming hole somewhere I've been told. I know of a hole to swim with a cliff for jumping that is a short drive over to where there are some other dirt roads and such as well if anyone is into that stuff. Bring lights to go into the caves as well.

Good, I don't really wanna do any of that type of mud bogging until I do my solid axle swap, even then I still don't wanna play in the mud too much. I'm talking with a couple other guys, trying to get them to go too.

dont worry about the CV joint, i drove 600 miles to smorr with a bad one, wheeled it until it broke, then spent 2hrs fighting the ball joint pinch bolt on a 1/2hr job. I got my money's worth out of the joint though

Good, I don't really wanna do any of that type of mud bogging until I do my solid axle swap, even then I still don't wanna play in the mud too much. I'm talking with a couple other guys, trying to get them to go too.

Its been so dry most of the puddles are dry. Lot of them are mainly watery puddles that you can creep through to stay clean. Me on the other hand, I don't fear the mud. I may hit yankee lake this weekend.

I would rather him fix it now, I want no parts of messing with a cv on the trail!

Yea, it was not fun working on it on the trail, a high lift, a bottle jack, and 2 come-alongs to keep it from rolling

LOL, I don't care aout getting the truck muddy at all but it wreaks havoc on suspension and steering parts, all of which I just spet a bunch of money replacing everything since last spring. Since March I've replaced the...

shocks
leafsprings
upper/lower balljoints, control arms
outer tie rod ends
hub bearing assemblies
CV axle shaft seals (which still leak)
lift shackles
u joints

so I'd like them to last atleast two years until I do my SAS, SOA.

Ok, I have a couple other guys with their trucks coming and maybe two or trhee other members from mysporttrac.com.

Good to hear. My buddy with the ranger is a no go. Tell your buddies they may get a few scratches from brush, best way to prevent them is a good coat of wax. I got all mine out last time because the wax protected the paint pretty good. Does everyone have a RBV or do we have some others?

We need to make sure we have a good recovery strap. I do not have one. Ill throw a chainsaw, and a few shovels in my car just to play it safe as well.

One guy has a modded FJ, the other two have built up Jeeps, should have three Sport Trac's and a Blazer. The guy with the FJ is gonna talk to his buddy's he offroads with to see if any of them wanna go, they've never been down there so you'll be the local guide. Lol. I'll bring plenty of chains, straps, 2x12's boards and some tools.

this sounds awesome, make sure you guys get some pictures! btw, you dont have to win the lotto to move out west. there are plenty of places out here that are very inexpensive to live, especially up north toward oregon, which is right up your alley rebel. its beautiful up there, i visit at least twice a year to the northwest, and cheap too compared to the bay area and so-cal.

Just remember to stay on the trails.. I heard the PA DNR has been issuing citations for going off the trails near the closed up mine/cave.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just remember to stay on the trails.. I heard the PA DNR has been issuing citations for going off the trails near the closed up mine/cave.

Yea, going through the woods is a no no. Technically you cant park right at the caves there is a sign there that says no motor vehicles but that is the only sign I recall. Also the caves were closed by the state but the gates are open, I've walked in before, I suppose they could ticket for that if they wanted to. There are always people riding up there, haven't seen anyone get ticketed yet but thanks for the heads up.

Back