Tramp is done! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tramp is done!

Ok - after about 4 months of planning and tinkering, Tramp is out!

Details:
4.56's
Detroit rear, EZ Locker front
37" Goodyear MT/R's
1.25" spacers that convert the rear to 5x5.5
D44 from a '75 bronco
James Duff coils, shocks, RA mounts
F150 outers up front
Steering by CoryL Customs

This project was a huge undertaking. I started with a stock '93, added 31's, then a 3" bodylift, then a 5.5" superlift and 35" Xterrains. After too many issues with the front end, I decided to swap.

Bought all the parts I needed, but ran into many problems along the way. From brake lines to transmission crossmember, they cam about once per week. Here is a pic of the crossmember cut and braced...
8xmembersup2-med.jpg

I have since added a 45 degree brace along the side for added strength.

Welding the buckets and the trackbar mount up proved challenging - in fact, the trackbar mount broke within 5 minutes of leaving the garage.
8brkn_mount-med.jpg

I am bringing it to a shop Monday (Mustang Motorsports of Fort Myers) to have the trackbar mount fixed and the sping buckets checked - along with the rest of the welds.

Here is the finished product!
8side-med.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions you want, as this is far from detailed.

Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats! Enjoy!

Looks great! Can't wait for the action shots.

Looks awesome Jon. What size wheel are you using, 15x** ?

15x10 is the rim size. I'll tell you what - the wheel spacers (at $65 each) was a great move. Cheaper than new axles and adds 2.5" to the width. Also makes the rear tires appear fatter....

J

WOW:eek: now that looks nice, congrats on the completed project. I'd buy ya a beer if you were closer. happy wheeling.

:chug: :chug:

Thanks guys...

It's been a long project, but it is finally done...

J

Very nice Jon. :thumbsup: Congrats on all your hard work. When do you plan to try it out?

That thing looks mean at hell man..i am sure you are proud, i would be too...congrats

Thanks guys - right now I am getting the welds re-done, front end aligned and driveshaft shortened. I'll flex it good next week. And yes - I am proud of this :D

J

Originally posted by FMExplorer
....and driveshaft shortened.

I think that's the first time i've seen someone say that!

Yes Josh, It's true, I am blessed with a driveshaft that is 2" too LONG:eek:

J

Congrats! Lookin' good.

i cant tell from the pic... i assume you used the stock EB radius arms?

welcome. finally you have a "real" explorer.
:D

dont worry folks give us 2 weeks and you'll have all sorts of flex shots tramp going through the stretches. promise.

Congrats Jon:thumbsup: Setup looks sweet. Are there any hardcore trails near your place besides mud. I have a cousin in Ft. Lauderdale, is that near you? He just bought a Jeep Rubicon and is looking for some people to hang out with. I know it's a Jeep but he's good people.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tom,
Have him get in touch with us at flexplorers.com. We don't discriminate against j##pers :)

The only wicked trails around here are construction sites - which I will visit.

One thing I should mention about the dual shocks - WELL WORTH IT! The ride is better than stock - and the view is much better too (lots of bikinis in convertibles down here :eek: )

J

Back