Solved - Transfer Case 4x4 Issue | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transfer Case 4x4 Issue

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
I cut one off a 96 that had all the same wires and spliced then together, the harness itself was irreparable.
Did you check the pin location vs the color on both harnesses? I think you just need to compare pin outs and verify nothing is different between the two.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the pin location vs the color on both harnesses? I think you just need to compare pin outs and verify nothing is different between the two.
Yeah I followed the Ford diagram, apparently they used to have to replace these things a lot under warranty so the guide was pretty readily available.

If you’re certain the wiring is good, I’d suspect the GEM.

If you’re certain the wiring is good, I’d suspect the GEM.
I don't even know anymore, I really don't want to take the crimps off these wires and do them all over again, just gonna hand it off to a shop.

I don't even know anymore, I really don't want to take the crimps off these wires and do them all over again, just gonna hand it off to a shop.
sometimes you have to draw the line when to make you rproblem someone else's 🤣 and if this is that point for you, makes sense and well be here for anyting else you need!

I think something is wired entirely wrong, not that there’s a bad connection. Or, two wires are touching. You could always shift it into high, do the brown wire mod, and figure it out later. You’d have to leave the shift motor off, of course. At least then its drivable.

I think something is wired entirely wrong, not that there’s a bad connection. Or, two wires are touching. You could always shift it into high, do the brown wire mod, and figure it out later. You’d have to leave the shift motor off, of course. At least then its drivable.
I did that before when the 4 low wasn't working thinking I wouldn't need it, then got stuck in a ditch and barely got out. But yeah my guess is at least one of the shift motor position wires isn't crimped completely or isn't contacting right somehow and it's shorted. I'm just hoping the ABS and this are related.

Why not just replace the harness?

Why not just replace the harness?
The wires were stripped out where it fed into the harness, looked like they had been kinked or something for so long they just ripped open, so it was either rejacket them or cut shorter and find a new harness with a few inches of wire for us to play with.

96 and 99 hmmmmm something tells me those two harness are different slightly I’ll map them out

Lots of wiring changes between 96 and 99 maybe some in the t case harness too

96 and 99 hmmmmm something tells me those two harness are different slightly I’ll map them out

Lots of wiring changes between 96 and 99 maybe some in the t case harness too
I was going off this, both sides of the harness had the same connections

Picture 2.png

They probably have the same connectors. There’s no reason to ever change a connector, unless you run out of pins.

99% chance you have something mis-mapped.

Welp it's someone else's problem now, let's see what the shop says about my wiring job 😂

Dang with labor being $100 and hour plus I would make sure they understand what work you have done leading up to this so they know where to check

Dang with labor being $100 and hour plus I would make sure they understand what work you have done leading up to this so they know where to check
To be honest with you this will probably be the cheapest thing I've paid someone to do on this truck

Got the explorer back from the shop, apparently some of the wires were messed up at the crimps, shop redid the pins and now it works great, ABS issue seems like it's gone too

Excellent.

Got it.

Solved!

Thanks for getting back to the Forum with the answer. So many threads just end, and the answer is not available.

Thank you.

Yeah! We did enough here to determine it must be in the wiring. The shop did the rest! Hopefully it wasn’t $3000000 like most shops get these days

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah! We did enough here to determine it must be in the wiring. The shop did the rest! Hopefully it wasn’t $3000000 like most shops get these days
Wasn't horrible honestly, I was expecting 300-400 but it only cost about 130ish

Back