Solved - Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adjusting the od band worked. Trannsmission shifts good now.

OooooKkkkk..... think I just messed up. *facepalm*

I have a 1991 with A4LD Trans.

The instructions were easy enough, on the OD band, I broke the lock nut loose and began to back it off, till I realized that the adjustment bolt was loose as well and, while the nut was moving, it was only because the bolt was moving. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this till I had backed it out a good bit.

So, I tightened it back up, and, holding the bolt tight with a socket, I backed the nut off till it would come all the way off. Then, adjusted my torque wrench to 130 inch lbs (Glacier said he tightened his to 15 ft lbs first, then to 10 ft lbs), intending to back it off and then go to 120 inch lbs. Well, the torque wrench never clicked. Before it did, something in the trans popped, and now I can screw the bolt in all the way by hand.

What did I do, and how can I fix it?

FWIW, I adjusted the other band just fine,and backed it out 2 full turns. Of course, this was AFTER I first learned the hard way on the OD band.

Uh, I don't like the tone of voice you typed that in. Sounds like a funeral voice.

Is there anything to do about it? Or, just replace the trans?

I admit I know almost nothing about a trans, though I have done almost everything on the rest of the vehicle (diffs excluded), even rebuilt them. But, I am willing to dig in if you think it's worth it.

Ok, BB. Again, I'm not much on trannys, but I do have a mechanical mind.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, since I broke the band for the OD, I should still be able to drive the EX, just not have OD, right? I can just back that bolt out a bit, and tighten the lock nut real snug, and she should be good to go in D, no?

That'll get me by till I can afford to either rebuild the trans, or replace it with a used or rebuilt one.

I just went thru Glacier's A4LD Rebuild Diary, and I think I can do that. With a little help from the great people on this site....

You don't have to rebuild the entire transmission to get to the overdrive band. The intermediate band is deeper inside, and harder to replace. Drop the transmission, and remove the bell housing. The overdrive band is accessible at this point.

I was wondering about that. I had seen that in Glacier's diary. Just wasn't sure if it was worth dropping it and going into it without at least doing a soft rebuild.

Am I right to assume I can continue to drive it as is?

i have a 94 xlt...i recently put a trans in it from a 91 (mfg tag says 04/91) I ALREADY ADJUSTED THE INTERMEDIATE band beings i know its a single wrap regardless of which year of trans it may be... is there a way to tell beings that there is not a tag anywhere on the trans telling me what year it is... i just dont wanna adjust the od band and tighten it as a double wrap if it can possibly be a single wrap... thanks in advance

The 91 might have been rebuilt with a single wrap, but there's no way to know unless you open it up.

so should i start with treating it as a single band... or should i adjust it as its a double wrap band first.. since that seems to be my only way to find out....

The end snaps onto a part which looks like a ball. The other side has a horse shoe shaped clip pressing against it.

I tried popping off the end of the shift cable (01 Sport Trac - 5r55e) to get a better looksie for the torque wrench on the intermediate band (3/8" drive - in/lb torque wrench) and used "reasonable force" in an attempt to "unsnap it" without breaking it and it wouldn't come off. Does it really take a large amount of force to pull the end off? Should I spray it with wd-40 to lubricate it a little first?

Given that it looks like plastic and it's endured many 100+ degree days in NorCal and it's 9 years old I'm not one to tug too hard on this piece.

Some 'monkey' rounded the OD band locknut fairly well. Off to the tool store to get a nice slightly offset 19mm wrench for this one and a couple of new locknuts.

A question regarding the low/reverse servo - It required a bit of a tug to get it out when removing the valve body, but it seemed to go back in quite easily. Is this normal?

band adjustment on a 99' 4.0 explorer 4x4

Ok, so I have the 5R55E 4x4 tranny, did the band adjustment on the intermed. band and it worked great. 2 full turns back. The OD band however made it worse turning 2 turns back. It wouldn't go back to normal until 4 turns back. By the way it shifted hard in 3rd originally and I'm getting the P0732 code, incorrect gear 2 ratio. The OD light is still flashing as well. Anybody have a clue why my 2 bands are different? Is one really worn?

I adjusted it 3 times. Is it hard or expensive to replace a band? I will be doing it myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back