Solved - Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found receipts in the glove box of the 95 Explorer I bought that show a rebuilt tranny bought and installed for $1795 in 2000 and another for $2150 in 2005. Neither here nor there, but interesting.

Anyways, if you remember, I was trying to adjust the intermediate band and the screw would just go all the way in without getting tight. Soooo, I removed the valve body and fished out the missing adapter pieces that push on the band (both of them on both sides). Now what I am looking for is some way to put the passenger side one on while knowing the piece is in the slot of the band, then holding it in place, while installing the driver side piece (knowing that the band is in the slot on that piece while installing). I mention this because it is near impossible to see the point where the band touches the extension pieces on either side once they are installed.

Any tips or tricks? Thanks

I removed the valve body, found the missing 2 adjusters/adapters that actually push on the intermediate band to adjust it, adjust the band, then reinstalled the valve body. Ooops, forgot to put the lever inside of the manual valve, so when I put in in reverse, it went forward. Drained the pan and removed the valve body again, installed the amnual valve correctly and reinstalled with fluid. Started the truck up with the back wheels off the ground. I had reverse and all gears, however if you put it in a forward gear with the brake on, the engine automatically stalls very similar to a manuaol transmission coming to a stop with the clutch out...obviously a TCC issue...but what? This is the 1st time for this problem so it is obviously something I installed incorrectly on the last valve body correction for the manual valve. Wondering since I had to remove the complete valve body if I somehow got the TCC solenoid not fully installed of not in place?

did you adjust the band again after you install it

After installing the 2 pieces from the intermediate band, yes.....as did I ajust the overdrive band. Since I did not move or have really aything to do with the bands by removing the valve body (twice), I saw no reason they would need adjusting again.

As I said, the day before when I installed the valve body without putting the lever in the manual shift valve, I did not have the apparent TCC problem, just no reverse (plus the gears were shifting in odd places of course)....but I definately did not have this obvious TCC issue. So, in my estimation, it had to have happened during the intallation of the valve body this second and last time.

just making sure you might have some burnt together clutches it could be why the pieces was off the band

but ofcourse if the ntermediate clutches are burnt together it will only go forward

One of the bolts that held down the valve body was on the end that also held down the TCC solenoid and if I remember correctly, that particular solenoid was like spring loaded, meaning I had to push and hold it in while I bolted it down. I wonder if somehow it came out of its bore a little and I did not catch it, and tightened the bolt down with the solenoid out too far?

Regardless, next step is to RE-drop the pan to inspect LOL

just making sure you might have some burnt together clutches it could be why the pieces was off the band

Ahh way back in the start of my posting in this thread I mentioned that originally I found the intermediate band hold down nut backed almost all the way off. I suspect that someone backed the adjuster off too far, thus causing the adjusters to fall out. Thats my guess anyways.

Ahh way back in the start of my posting in this thread I mentioned that originally I found the intermediate band hold down nut backed almost all the way off. I suspect that someone backed the adjuster off too far, thus causing the adjusters to fall out. Thats my guess anyways.
can you go back words now after its all together

Oh yes. I jacked up the rear wheels and ran it through all the gears, forward and backward and they are all there.

Next part of the story.... I found a friend with a 95 Explorer that had an engine locked up going to the pick and pull lot, so he let me take whatever I wanted. I took the TCC solenoid and installed it and now it shifts perfectly....however the O/D light flashes from within 5 seconds of start up (havent checked codes yet). I have so far driven it approx. 10 miles and it is shifting fine (so far). I also found out that I have the trans. that has the 455 numbers, not the 4ALD. Found this out because I went to purchase a TCC solenoid and got one for $10. Brought it back and it looked nothing like the one I had. After phone diagnosing the model with the trans. parts guy, we determined mine to be the electronic 455 one and the TCC solenoid for that one was $135 my cost (thats why I borrowed the used one from my friend).

Waiting to check codes tomorrow to see what I got. Very anxious as I have hardly ever even sat in a Ford, much less worked on the valve body of one LOL.

Well the band adjustments totally fixed the 2 out of range codes and the shifting issues. Took 2 drops of the valve body and 3 drops of the pan to get there but I did. When I was done with the bands, I had a blinking O/D light 2 seconds after start-up but it was shifting okay. Finally got the code checked and found it to be the transmission temp. circuit open and remembered on the 1st valve body drop, I had accidentally pinched one of the temp sensor wires under one of the valve body bolts. When I pulled the bolt back out I could see metal in the wire, so thought it just to have been skewed, so I cut a piece of vacuum line to put around it to keep it from grounding against something metal. Well, once I removed the pan for the last time and pulled on that wire, it pulled right apart so I had broken it, not just pinched it. Soldered the wire, reinstalled the pan, and it has been fine now for over 300 miles.

Thanks to all you pro's who helped me out. You guys rock!

I have a 2002 explorer 4.0 (5r55w) and I have the tranny out. Because the end of the intermediate band was bent/broken and I found the metal piece in the pan.

Now that its out, is it just a matter of taking off the torque converter, shaft and pulling the pump out with a slide hammer ??

I have a manual but there seems to be a lot if unnecessary steps, can anyone give me the low down.

thanks in advance.

Edit:

I used a U clamp from homedepot ($1.39) and the long J shaped piece in my 20 dollar slide hammer. Similar to the one in the pic, but I had to make a piece of metal with two holes because the plate that came with it had slotted holes and the clamp just bent open when I tightened it.

17042.MM250UPC_4.jpg

2009-01-09-slide-hammer.jpg

Just a general question, should a new gasket be used every time the valvebody is removed ? Mine is in good shape.

I think the gasket is bonded to the seperator plate and I would have to open a whole can of worms if I need to replace.

Thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi,
explorer 92 4x4 eb. , i did band adjustment as described just to try to solve chronic transmission overheating , slipping and shakes,,,, no use ,,, same problem ,,,what to do ? when i run the car and go driving for about 30 mints , then the tranny oil becomes very hot and i can feel the heat from under the car coming from it and starts slipping and hesitating ,, engine also over heats when moving and not when parked and running !! is the t.c gone ? or the v.b needs service ??

Back