Solved - Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

brooklynbay, there is a grinding-scratching noise when the trans. is heated and that happens when you speed down to parking just before stoping and when accelerating ,, when the car is cold on the morning , no prob. at all ,, just after say half an hour driving all trouble starts ,, heat which you can feel from under the car , smell of hot tranny and slippage on acceleration from stop point ,, i feel the od is not ingaging too , i am not sure ,, what is the speed when the od should be felt ingaged ?
i was planing to remove the v.b , but worried that small parts an get lost or mixed while removing it ,, what do you think ?

brooklyn bay i changed the oil and filter one month back ,, actually a very small piece of metal , like a small screw head , was found in the pan ,which i dont know it came out from where exactly ,,
i did a stall test to the tc, the nosie keeps comming during the test and i feel that as if there is engagement and disengagement too ,,,the readind was 2000 rpm ,,,
so what to do ? do you advice me to remove the valve body and check it ?

unfortunately no pic , but it was a tinny piece ,, and the prob. was there even before i found it ,,,

i recently got a ranger with a 4r44e knowing it didnt have reverse. so if theres no adjustment for reverse do that mean that i need a new tranny?

ok thanks brooklyn bay. that all sounds lil bit out of scope of my ability.

im in the process of taking the tranny out. is there a special tool or a trick to get the torque converter nuts loose? ive tried many combonations of extensions, sockets, and swivels.

A deep 1/4" drive socket should work. You could use a 3/8" deep socket with a wobble extension if you need a little more power to break the nuts loose. Impact sockets are a little on the bulky side, so a regular socket might be easier since it's thinner. Use the correct size socket so that you don't strip the corners of the nuts.

I have a question for the tranny gurus. I have a 99 Mounty with the 5r55e tranny and want to adjust the bands. So here's my question. The adjusting bolts are pretty rusted so I can't back the lock nuts off to adjust the bands. If I pick up new adjusting bolts and lock nuts from Ford will the bands stay in place if I back the adjusting bolts all the way out to install the new ones? I don't want to create more work for myself and have to drop the pan and get into all that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Yeah I tried that. The threads are pretty badly eaten away.(cursed winter salt!) If I do remove the pan are the apply struts accessible or are they under the valve body?

so i got different tranny installed and when i started it theres a rattle coming from the bellhousing. it goes away when i rev it up a little bit. in my haste to get tranny in didnt check to see if there was fluid in torque converter(girlfriend unhappy by amount of time tranny swap has been taking). ive been told that if there wasnt any in torque converter that it'll fill itself. i did drop the pan and put new filter and gasket in. put about 2 qts back in. i let it idle for bout 20 mins and fluid level didnt change. any help would be appreciated!!! thank you all in advance!!

Where's the Pressure Solenoid Thread

BrooklynBay - I was reading an awesome thread earlier tonight (before I registered) where you had some great advise.

What I need to know is "How can I tell which tranny I've got". My Explorer is a 2002 XLT with 160,000 km on the clock.

THX

Sometimes a code will get thrown if the band is either broken, or out of specification. It will also feel like the 2nd, and overdrive are a little delayed, and not positive feeling. Sometimes this could be mistaken for a rotted piston. First start with the band adjustments before replacing the pistons. There are other factors involved which could make the transmission have similar symptoms. Low EPC pressure could cause weak shifts. Bad sensor inputs from the VSS, BOO switch, and TPS could create a loss of overdrive, and TCC lock up. A bad governor could cause a 1-2 shift delay when it is cold. A bad modulator could cause shifting problems as well.

I have no overdrive, and was suggested to adjust the bands. I think this is very helpful info. But in this thread you list a bunch of other possible causes to OD loss but I don't know those acronyms! Could you please explain? Also there are no trouble codes. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The VSS is the vehicle speed sensor. The BOO is the brake-on-off switch, and the TPS is the throttle position sensor. TCC stands for torque converter clutch.

Back