Transmission dying going into gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission dying going into gear

LOCKONS7RA7US

Reaction score
City, State
Everett washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 , eddie bauer
Callsign
Taco Run
so lately i have been having the issue of when i go start me explorer starts fine and idles fine , cranks over and after it gets to temp and go to put it into reverse it will just die and stop idling and will have to put it in park and start it over again . I can get it to go if i goose it with the gas and then try to put it in drive but then it will die if i put it in drive . but its super inconsistant and sometimes living on a prayer it wont be a mad at me and will be fine . i think its gotta be some type of internal electronic part in the trans due to the fact that it idles and starts fine and will run an drive fine if you catch her on a good morning or day . but the fact is that as soon as i put it motor on a load ( meaning i put it in a gear ) that it dies in gear . i plan on getting the trans serviced here soon and just already went through this for other reasons

Fuel system - new gas sending unit in the tank

New starter , new MAS , new battery , new alternator , new stater solenoid , new high temp silicone vacum line ( including the trans vac line )

im ganna replace the fuel filter under the car but im kinda just going over and open for feed back on what this could possibly be and if its something cheap and stupid that i havent looked into yet or the trans is just taking a crap on me or something

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a check engine light? Did you add a fuel system cleaner when you replaced the sending unit? Maybe the injectors are partially clogged? Did you clean the intake, and the idle speed control air bypass valve when you replaced the mass air flow sensor?

Do you have a check engine light? Did you add a fuel system cleaner when you replaced the sending unit? Maybe the injectors are partially clogged? Did you clean the intake, and the idle speed control air bypass valve when you replaced the mass air flow sensor?

No check engine light , i did add 2 bottles of the chevreon complete fuel system / injector cleaner to the gas tank from O'Reilly when i replaced the fuel sending unit also run the car on 92 . I did not clean the intake nor i have cleaned the air control bypass valve when changing the mass air flow ..
Would these things stop the car from running as soon as it goes into gear though ?

Stalling when placed in gear sounds like it could be an issue with the torque converter being locked up.

Stalling when placed in gear sounds like it could be an issue with the torque converter being locked up.
I had a friend tell me about that with his jeep Cherokee.. could it be low on fluid or the filter .

What would be the best cause of action to fix the torque converter issue

It could be a combination of several things. You could remove the oxygen sensors to clean them too.
Would it be a bad idea to clean them out and would standard throttle body / intake cleaner work or brake cleaner .. also would seafoam be a good idea or option

I had a friend tell me about that with his jeep Cherokee.. could it be low on fluid or the filter .

If the lockup torque converter is not disengaging that would cause a stall. It could possibly be a bad torque converter clutch switch or solenoid.

Use a multimeter to check resistance of the solenoid.

If the lockup torque converter is not disengaging that would cause a stall. It could possibly be a bad torque converter clutch switch or solenoid.
Where is that located ?

The TCC solenoid is in the valve body. Your wiring harness has 3 connections for the TCC & OD solenoids. The middle connection is a positive constant connection. The other 2 connections are computer controlled ground connections.

so update : transmission has bent looked at yet but hunting some places down , also recently got some codes going to work on the freeway got code 124 and 157 , i did a check engine code while running and got code 167 . so idk what to make of this anymore feel like im going in circles with these codes ive been fighting . i will retest for 167 code again , but idk if its my TPS bad or if the Hypertech chip i have is causing issuies so i might pull it and see what happens ..

Back