Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
04 Silverado 4x4 5.3 213k Miles.

Driving it today it threw the check engine light and I lost first and fourth gear. It would only up shift or down shift manually by changing the shifter on the column. When I got home I ran the scan tool and had one code. P0758 Shift Solenoid B Electrical.

From my google searches it looks like the B solenoid is not working and changing it should solve my problem. It sounds like it is somewhere in the Valve body but I have not been able to find a picture that shows where it is before I drop the pan and start messing with it.

Anyone have any pointers to help point me in the right direction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Matt, Besides my smart azz remark trading in your cheby for a ford:p: I looked around a bit on the net for you.

It looks like your trans has gone into fail safe mode. So you only have R, 2, 3 I'm guessing. I believe it's a bad shift solenoid in the trans. There are two a 1-2 (Driver-side) and a 2-3 (Passenger side)

Solenoids look like this (Center and Right)
0905gmhtp_34_z+4l60e_electronic_controllers+to_shift_and_and_contol_line_pressure.jpg

here are the solenoid locations

4L60EValveBodyTypical.jpg

So to drop the trans pan you have to remove the exhaust, remove front drive shaft, and remove the shifter linkage on the side of the trans that is bolted to the top. Glad they made it so easy. Off to install the new solenoids next.

DYI with major assist from Stico! :thumbsup:

Very Cool! :thumbsup: Glad it worked out, the internet is a wonderful place:D

Back