Transmission Issues....of course! Lol | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Issues....of course! Lol

Gard04

Reaction score
City, State
Howell
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer XLT
What's up guys!
New to this community here. So I have an 04 Ford Explorer XLT. It won't allow me to go in reverse unless I set myself up on an incline so I roll backwards haha anyway, I see this is a very common issue with explorers. Have any of you rebuilt transmissions or replaced them? If you re built them, was it simple? Thanks for your help any info is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's up guys!
New to this community here. So I have an 04 Ford Explorer XLT. It won't allow me to go in reverse unless I set myself up on an incline so I roll backwards haha anyway, I see this is a very common issue with explorers. Have any of you rebuilt transmissions or replaced them? If you re built them, was it simple? Thanks for your help any info is appreciated!

The 5r55s transmission are easy to rebuild... I have a rebuild manual if you need it just PM me your email...

I replaced mine. Best Buy Transmissions is where I got it, good folks! Less than $2000 for Transmission and fluid.

I replaced mine. Best Buy Transmissions is where I got it, good folks! Less than $2000 for Transmission and fluid.

That sounds like a good deal. I would like to ask some questions. Was the transmission refurbished? How many miles/years warranty did they give you? Did the price include the cost of swapping them/putting the new transmission in?

And why do you recommend that shop when your transmission was failing again after 5040 miles?

"Follow up...Having the Transmission replaced again (luckily under warranty)! After 5,040 miles I had to take it to a shop near me (the shop that installed it is over 200 miles from where I live). It was slipping to the point I didn't trust it on the approx. 9.5 mile drive to and from work, much less any further. The shop verified that the tranny was bad and the company I bought it from immediately sent a new unit along with the fluid to fill it (I had purchased their fluid with the initial unit).. The shop is working on getting the new unit installed now. I'll post more on this after I get it back from the shop."

Back