Transmission Service Recommendations? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Service Recommendations?

hexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Cumming,GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hey all,

I'm inheriting my wife's 97 XLT Explorer soon... So I thought I better start learning how to service and repair it etc. It has been great for 8 years!

All I've done is change the oil every 8K, completely redo the brake system and recently plugs (that was fun).

Anyhow, it struggles in the morning to pop into gear and make its progressions. I don't think any service has ever been performed on it. :D WHat would anyone recommend I do to service it?

Flush and ??

Thanks!
hExp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would drop the tranny pan and change he filter. Then after adding the ATF back, I would do a complete flush and make the switch to synthetic ATF. It might be a wise move to add an external filter at this time too.

Good luck....

Sounds good. SHould be fun!

Thanks for the advice.

h

It struggles??????????? A little fluid can only do so much. Assume this is a V6 and you have checked fluid levels. That transmission has a history of valve body gasket problems that come about from a couple of bolts becoming loose. One of these is on the low/reverse servo cover plate which is used in guess what two gears. If the fluid isn't too nasty, a little tightening might help on this and the valve body. These only takes a very light hand twist, about 8 ft-lb. Just something to check when you drop the pan. Almost everyone has found loose ones on the 5R55E.

If you have 80,000+ miles and never changed the trannie fluid, I would drop the pan, change the filter and replace the fluid lost when droping the pan. Do this a few times (every 3 months) until the fluid gets clear. I would not recommend a FULL fluid change because you may loosen up some grit and it may find its way to clog something. This happens pretty often when people never change their trannie oil then decide to change it at 80,000 + miles.

Back