• Register Today It's free!

Traxda lift

OverlanderExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT 4wd
Hey all, I installed a Traxda lift on my 2020 Explorer XLT and for the first 2 weeks it was amazing. After the alignment it rode just like factory, and the increased lift helped us get places we would have scraped before. However, about a week ago the car started swaying when we gave it some gas. Not just normal accel, but some aggressive accel to get into traffic. It will also start swaying around long turns, like on a highway, not in city 90 turns. Other then those two things it drives normal, handles normal, doesnt do it during lane changes or anything like that. Just under aggressive accel or random long turns. We took it back to the alignment shop thinking maybe something had come loose, but no, it was fine. It could be the lift itself, but like I said, it was fine for two weeks, we even took it out on long trips and did some wheeling in it. Any thoughts? We're also going to take it to the dealership. I know anything caused by the lift is on me, thats fine, just like to have it safe to drive.

Explorer 1.jpg
explorer 2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you lift any vehicle, you raise the center of gravity and said vehicle is now more prone to swaying side to side. It's a tradeoff of lifting a vehicle. You can try stiffer shocks to help, but as of yet there is nothing available for the 2020+ explorers except the factory ford shocks.

On the flip side, the exact opposite happens when you lower a vehicle.

When you lift any vehicle, you raise the center of gravity and said vehicle is now more prone to swaying side to side. It's a tradeoff of lifting a vehicle. You can try stiffer shocks to help, but as of yet there is nothing available for the 2020+ explorers except the factory ford shocks.

On the flip side, the exact opposite happens when you lower a vehicle.
I've lifted a vehicle before. You have a point, but this is different. I'll have to hope bilstein makes some shocks soon for this vehicle

Since this is new development, you may have a blown shock or shocks somewhere, or a broken sway bar end link.

Since this is new development, you may have a blown shock or shocks somewhere, or a broken sway bar end link.
yeah i was going to check the end links in the morning. shocks are a possibilty ill look into as well, I didnt consider them because I only have 18k miles, but anything is possible

dealer aint gonna fix it w that lift id imagine.

Have you checked for the one bolt rear differential carrier and checked that the rear mounting bolt wasn't broken?

All the suspension related bushings should be released and retorqued (wheels and car weight on the level ground) after any lift kit installed.

I guess one of the suspension bushings crushed or damaged during two weeks operation.

Check the suspension bushings for damage,torque to specs,use suitable threadlockers if any original threadlocking feature equipped fastener was reused.

dealer aint gonna fix it w that lift id imagine.
Na, nor should they if the lift is causing it, what I want to find out is if it is the lift, or something else. The problem came a couple of weeks after the lift, so they may not be related, could be a coincidence. Also it might not be

I've lifted a vehicle before. You have a point, but this is different. I'll have to hope bilstein makes some shocks soon for this vehicle
Did your previous vehicles that you 'lifted' have curve or stability control like your present one?

Peter

Have you tried contacting Traxda to see if they have any ideas or suggestions?

Na, nor should they if the lift is causing it, what I want to find out is if it is the lift, or something else. The problem came a couple of weeks after the lift, so they may not be related, could be a coincidence. Also it might not be
no matter if it is or aint they gonna be like lifted caused it

All the suspension related bushings should be released and retorqued (wheels and car weight on the level ground) after any lift kit installed.

I guess one of the suspension bushings crushed or damaged during two weeks operation.

Check the suspension bushings for damage,torque to specs,use suitable threadlockers if any original threadlocking feature equipped fastener was reused.
Update, this was the problem, I had the wrong torque specs for the control arms and/missed tightening a few. I suspect wrong specs as everything was fine for awhile, they must have loosened, which is kind of scary. I was getting worse. Note to anyone doing this install, triple check your torque and have someone else look at it, then check it again. Or have someone else install it. Anyway thank you guys for the suggestions and direction pointing, I'm glad it wasnt the lift as I definitely use the extra height in my adventures.

Update, this was the problem, I had the wrong torque specs for the control arms and/missed tightening a few. I suspect wrong specs as everything was fine for awhile, they must have loosened, which is kind of scary. I was getting worse. Note to anyone doing this install, triple check your torque and have someone else look at it, then check it again. Or have someone else install it. Anyway thank you guys for the suggestions and direction pointing, I'm glad it wasnt the lift as I definitely use the extra height in my adventures.
did you use threadlock? usually on suspensionn bolts use em imo

I want to install a Traxda 2” lift on my Timberline. Has anyone added one? Should I be concerned about any issues a lift could cause to and other suspension parts?

I want to install a Traxda 2” lift on my Timberline. Has anyone added one? Should I be concerned about any issues a lift could cause to and other suspension parts?
One issue that could come into play is a possible warranty denial on any suspension parts or any other items that become faulty due to the lift.
BTW, there are a few threads on "lifts" on the 6th gen that you can find using the Search feature.

Peter

Back