Trckmagik goes Topless :) PICS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trckmagik goes Topless :) PICS

Well, I went and did it. I will also be adding a canvas bed cover and canvas rear window with clear vinyl to match the canvas windows I have on the front and rear doors. Much more to come but I thought I would show you the progress pics. Lots of tubing is also coming :)
3CZ43_chop1.jpg

785EB_chop2.jpg

92F57_chop3.jpg

*And here is a photoshop picture of what I am having made for the rear of the explorer. I will not have the tailgate on as shown in the photoshop picture. Let me know what you think.
attachment.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have added a photoshop picture in the first post of what my canvas will look like when completed. Enjoy and thanks for all the compliments.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Trckmagik said:
You can do this mod to yours :)

Yes, but being a complete trail rig, it would need a SAS where as yours doesnt. Plus mines a sport.. I think it would look weird.

anyone willing to help me be the first 2nd gen sport to do that then? I think it'd look sweet. Only problem i see is i'd need some form of a rear gate to keep water out... with my snorkel i tend to go into water that would flow right into my back door now.

Ohh.. one more Q, Arent you putting a roll cage in? With that photochop, how will the window go around the roll cage? Or is the roll cage, not coming out the back?

The custom canvas will have holes in it for the cage once installed. This thing isn't meant to look pretty but rather to function like a champ.

sk1er17 said:
anyone willing to help me be the first 2nd gen sport to do that then? I think it'd look sweet. Only problem i see is i'd need some form of a rear gate to keep water out... with my snorkel i tend to go into water that would flow right into my back door now.

I could be talked into throwing some tools into the back of my truck and cruzing up to NJ

sk1er17 said:
Wait. . you can't be the 1st 2nd gen crop top. . .I'm always the 1st 2nd gen (first w/ 35's, first coil-over SAS, first 700R4 swap . . ) . You're just going to have to hold off for another year. :p

Man I like it!!!! I have always wanted to cut the top of my 2dr and slant the back like a military Humvee. Not very practical however.

I need to bite the bullet if I move to lower 48 and do a chop top of some kind.

That looks pretty wicked man. I wish I could do that to mine!!!
Nice looking trail rig!!

Very cool.You use a big grinder with a cutting wheel? did you just follow the line below the window?That's the first top I have seen cut off behind the doors.Might have to do that.Hmmm...roll cage would be easy then,but where would I put my sub.......

bipolarbob said:
Hmmm...roll cage would be easy then,but where would I put my sub.......
Bandpass. Fiberglass the box and point the ports at an angle downward. Keeps the water out. Ask me how i know. :D

We used a sawzaw for all the cuts and then a grinder to clean things up and to make the turns.

Chop away boys.... Its only metal :)

After seeing that top your photoshopped. I REALLY wanna so this, but I think I should get my axles under the X first, or it may look wierd.

--Ryan

CarFreak146 said:
After seeing that top your photoshopped. I REALLY wanna so this, but I think I should get my axles under the X first, or it may look wierd.

--Ryan

Nah............. Go ahead and make the cuts :)

Hey buddy, don't tempt me, I'll do it!!!

Actually, I can't yet.... the Axle swap is number one on my list, and then after that I'll chop it when the cage is ready to go in.

---Ryan

Well I took the bent up hatch and roof to the dump today. I still love the new mod and cant wait to load it on the trailer and wheel it. :)

I have been planning on doing that to my 2 door or putting the canvas windows in. It gets pretty cold here in the winter, which makes me want to do the windows. It looks great!!!!

Me likey :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

You use snaps for the canvas right? Would velcro help keep out the water a little better? Just thinkin out loud.

It probably would if you used it in between the snaps. I really dont have a big water issue with just rain as the canvas and snaps are on the lip that the glass window originally mounted too. Now if you go through high pressure car washes then you will have a problem.
I hose my trail rig off after any run and it rarely gets in. But yes, velcro would probably help a bit if used in between the snaps :)
Thanks again guys.

Back