• Register Today It's free!

trial by fire or learning by luck

GratefulMark

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 2WD
Greetings everyone, I am a proud owner of a 1991 Eddie Bauer 2wd. I bought this rig so I could learn some rudimentary auto mechanic skills in my early retirement (disabilities). So far I have had good experiences, albeit expensive due to prior owners lack of maintenance which brings me to the problem I am trying to address right now-the repair of windows that are not currently working correctly. I pulled the back passenger window motor today to identify the reason(s) why it will not open/close. The motor works, but when I opened the gear/drive mechanism the grease was solid "jelly" but the brushes are in good condition. I noticed that the gear is in good shape, but I didn't see any of the spacers I noticed in other posts: do 91's not have the same build, or are mine missing? Just curious, I can buy a new/rebuild if I have to, but i prefer doing/learning by my own hands.
My next project is reinstalling the aftermarket stereo that was installed before I bought it, and from what I am seeing, was done by tweekers, or electrical tape addicts. Glad to have this forum.

My '94 rear windows have track issues. There's rubber wheels that ride in a groove and want to twist, not allowing the windows to go up or down. If I straighten the rollers, the windows move freely again until they rotate.

Yes on the bushings. Pop in a new set and you should be good.

On the sticky rear window tracks, I "lube" my felts with Scotch-guard. Which also helps to preserve them and keeps the dust from sticking. Scotch-guard is Teflon for fabrics! Nice...

Back