Truck Haven 2007 Feb. 10-11 Discussion Thread | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck Haven 2007 Feb. 10-11 Discussion Thread

Is it just me, or has no one else seen these "Big Horn Sheep"?:dunno:

Someone mentioned that over at Pirate too...I for one have not, that's not to say there's never been sheep there before though. I highly doubt it, I'm sure they feel more secure in rocky, mountainous terrain. Every once in awhile they'll show on the news here some bighorn that come down into the country clubs near Palm Springs to munch on lawns and whatnot. While we're on the wildlife tip, I think it was the Thanksgiving trip out there we saw a kit fox getting into our trash and a kangaroo rat running around the campfire and on any given night you can hear a pack of coyotes...I don't think there's any shortage of wildlife out there. If anything the new homes are providing a source of food for these critters.

This latest action just goes to show how vulnerable our wheeling spots are so anyone who has even thought about attending this upcoming run, just GO!
This prime area for 4wheeling is endangered and to lose it would be devestating so enjoy it while we can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone mentioned that over at Pirate too...I for one have not, that's not to say there's never been sheep there before though. I highly doubt it, I'm sure they feel more secure in rocky, mountainous terrain. Every once in awhile they'll show on the news here some bighorn that come down into the country clubs near Palm Springs to munch on lawns and whatnot. While we're on the wildlife tip, I think it was the Thanksgiving trip out there we saw a kit fox getting into our trash and a kangaroo rat running around the campfire and on any given night you can hear a pack of coyotes...I don't think there's any shortage of wildlife out there. If anything the new homes are providing a source of food for these critters.

This latest action just goes to show how vulnerable our wheeling spots are so anyone who has even thought about attending this upcoming run, just GO!
This prime area for 4wheeling is endangered and to lose it would be devestating so enjoy it while we can.

Wow you saw a kit fox. dont tell anyone or truckhavan will be gone for sure. I worked in the oilfields around bakersfiels area once and couldn't go near a kit fox den if i did i would be in jail. A farmer once plowed his field where they found kangaroo rat droppings and was jailed.

Is it just me, or has no one else seen these "Big Horn Sheep"?:dunno:
I saw some on TV one time, and at the Wild Animal Park there are some type of mountain sheep, and I saw a dead one that some tool shot over near Lake Havasu, but he had a permit to hunt them.....

The Explorer went into the shop yesterday, he thinks he should have it finished in "two weeks".

Wow you saw a kit fox. dont tell anyone or truckhavan will be gone for sure. I worked in the oilfields around bakersfiels area once and couldn't go near a kit fox den if i did i would be in jail. A farmer once plowed his field where they found kangaroo rat droppings and was jailed.

There are Kit foxes all over that area. I heard some barking spiders last trip too, but upon further research, it turned out to be Gopher farting to warm up his sleeping bag in the 28 degree night.

Oh, check out this article, about half way down is a picture and mention of Paul B's Explorer.
http://www.4x4now.com/sf0397.htm
I think Paul used to hang out with these guys, because all the articles have his rig in them.

Latest info on TDS Safari
http://www.tds4x4.com/safariinfo.htm

The Explorer went into the shop yesterday, he thinks he should have it finished in "two weeks".

Ahhhh..T-haven is in less then 2 weeks:rolleyes:

Ahhhh..T-haven is in less then 2 weeks:rolleyes:
He is going to concentrate on getting the doors and fender fixed, and all the glass in so I can take it then bring it back to him after the weekend. You never know, it might need more body work after anyway.

Keep him on retainer. :p:

Brian, your right about that group of guy's. Great people to wheel with.
Ecological 4-Wheeling was founded by Harry Lewellyn (aka. Silver Coyote). My very first off road trip's back in 1993-1997 were all done with this group of people, even the Rubicon trip's. Also this is were I first met Ray & Debbie Hutchinson (Moderator of the CB/Ham radio on this site) back in the 90's and RangerX. Harry has publish many off-road book's in the past, but is no longer in the business in doing off-road trips.

Also I will not be able to attend this year's run after all. I will be in Nevada that weekend. Everyone have a great time!

Also I will not be able to attend this year's run after all. I will be in Nevada that weekend. Everyone have a great time!

To bad I wanted to see the new updates the the explorer I have heard about. Any chance Winter might be bringing it out? Maybe we will see you at TDS.

Well, thatn sucks. I sure wish you were coming out.

Rockranger, I think Winter is planning on being there but not with the Explorer. The Explorer is far from being done yet. Winter is now working on the back area of the truck re-enforceing the bed area for the new gas tank and bumper. After that the cage work will start. The narrowing of the back body is all done, new 9" currie rear end and 40" MTR tires on 17" rims and King coilover shocks are all sitting here ready to be put on. One of these day's we will post some picture's as the work progress's more.

Sorry Brian, I would like to be there, but this trip to Nevada is part business.
We were trying to get this truck ready for TDS, but I don't know if that will be possible. Time will tell.

We were trying to get this truck ready for TDS, but I don't know if that will be possible. Time will tell.

I can't wait to see it, might take a ride up to Orange to get a preview. I guess TDS is going to be in Ocotillo, I don't know of any challenging trails over there.

All the better, that means Truckhaven is all ours. :D
I guess we could camp up on the mesa off S-22 during TDS. From there its about a 30-40 minute off road trip to Ocotillo. We could spend a day in the hills, then drive over there to watch the idiots.

Im 50/50 weather I will be making it out. If I do it will be even less likely I will be bringing my truck. Tracy and I will probably be having to fill passanger seats if we make it out.

I think there will be plenty of people.

"Truckhaven is about 30 minutes across desert wash from Main Street. It's a rough ride for sure. I know a lot of people who are planning on camping in Truckhaven and then coming out for the raffle on Saturday night."
I'm sure that will be the case. I meant to have referenced the comments made to Brian by the TDS "official" last year. :rolleyes:

Well this year nobody can call us...****...what was it they called us?

EDIT: Freeloaders, that was it!!
Yep, FREELOADERS, I love it, when they pay little or nothing to use the same ground we were using, but expect to get paid by everyone else.

Can you imagine the traffic jam on the pumpkin patch trail before and after the raffle??? Scary stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I'm planning on leaving SF Thursday night, and arriving sometime Friday AM (between 12 midnight and 12 noon.. Vague, eh?)

I plan to head back North to SF on Sunday.

Brian, I've never really been in the Octillo area - maybe we should do some runs over there.

Back