• Register Today It's free!

True dual exhaust...

Nate_V8

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5L AWD
Has anyone here run true duel exhaust on their 5.0? I was thinking about scraping my mufflers and running (2) 2.5" straight pipes back with an H-pipe for mid. Even with stock manifolds there should be an increase in performance and MPG since it has more flow.

TM headers I will get eventually but they are expensive and then I'm assuming with a bigger collector, so I would have to upgrade my cats as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have true duals pipes with one Flowmaster 40series being used as an H-pipe. Sounds great and seems quicker. With TMH it doesnt have a bigger collector so no need to modify or replace the down pipes.

My exhaust is 2 1/2 pipes, one Flowmaster 40 dual in-dual out, 2 1/4 pipes to fit around the spare tire, 3 1/2 slash cut tips.

I'm talking about no mufflers lol. I had the explorer on the hoist and it can be done! I'm going to remove the rear cats, and in that spot, install an H-pipe then right after, bend each, one towards the drivers side under where the DS connects to the tranny and the passenger side will go right and they will both, on each side, go under the frame rail and travel down along side it, then cut an area at the end of each running board and have side exit exhaust something like 99-04 lightnings.

The back cats aren't really cats. I think they are silencers.

Well it should be pretty cool lookin and sounding for sure!

ok so it's installed and good freaken god its waaay to loud and sounds like ass.

How can I quiet down my exhaust when I only have room for bullets? Best thing I can buy is like magnaflow 20" bullets, 4" round, 2.5" in/out ....I know 2 of them would be quiter then what I have, but how much quiter? any other Ideas in a bullet style?

"true duals" is a term thats thrown around a lot, and I've always wondered: what exactly does "true duals" mean? To me "true duals" means no crossover, and thats an inefficent design.

There is a 5.0 exhaust thread. Why people ignore the guys in front of them, like myself, who have gone through 5 or more combinations, is beyond me.

:dunno::dunno:

So someone has done this? then tried to correct it?

attachment.php

been there

the thread is a sticky at the top of this forum

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97

What risks are you talking about? and mine stick out in front of the rear tires, looks nice but too loud, so looking to see what bullets or resonators will quiet it down, it's a really nice free flowing exhuast but waaay too loud, need to figure out how to fix it.

i eventually wanna put true duals on my 01 sport

make sure you get mufflers!!!! explorer cam does not sound as good as the mustang cam. maybe with TMH it sound better with no mufflers, but with stock headers it sounds like a chev under loud....BLAAAAAAAATTTT BLAT BLAT

Bullet mufflers were just what it needed!!! and no performance loss because they are straight through. if your looking for a great mellow sound that's loud but not too loud and sounds great then I highly recommend this setup! I installed 2 magnaflow 4"round 20" long mufflers in between the frame and running boards, fit perfect! and then dumped the tips each in front of the rear wheels. perfect setup!!

On my first 5.0, I had glasspacks in place of the muffler and 2.5" pipe all the way back with 3" slash tips. I loved the sound, but sacrified my spare tire.

I still didn't learn with my 2nd 5.0 and again went with duals, but this time I replaced the stock muffler with a 2.5" dual inlet/dual outlet Flowmaster Super 40. Again, I loved the sound, but sacrificed my spare to get it.

I just had a dual 2.5" inlet/single 3" outlet Magnaflow XL 3-chamber installed on my current 5.0 today. I haven't ran the tailpipe yet, so right now it stops under my back seat, but it is EXTREMELY loud. I like a loud exhaust, but I hope the tailpipe will tone it down considerably. I kept the spare this time.

well where the rear cats were, I cut those off and put in an H-pipe, then immediately branched the pipes off right and left, the drivers side goes right underneath where the driveshaft and tranny meet and then both go under the frame rail (it has a slope going up so its perfect and doesnt hang as low as the lowest part which is the gas tank) and then both run back between the frame rail and running board on each side and dump out just infront of the rear tires. it's truly perfect! I get my spare, loud but not to loud exhaust with a great mellow tone from the those mufflers I'm using now. no resistance and sounds great, can't go wrong! You could also try and X-pipe for higher throatier sound.

Back