torque monster headers.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

torque monster headers....

19explorer

Reaction score
Any body modify or have some made with 2.5" collectors? 2.5" out all the way just seems proper for a 5.0.... especially with headers.
My ideal exhaust would be TMH with 2.5" collectors then run dual pipes with a crossover, then 2 spintech 2.5 mufflers and dual 2.5 tails whether there on the same side or traditional one on each side tails. I guess i just miss the mustang sounds im used to. Hell i don't care if the hitch and spare and hoist have to go....extra weight :)....and yes i read the exhaust thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try calling and asking Bob @ TMH to see if he could build a set the way you want?

He just built a set for me with a different exhaust flange to match up with my Trick Flow Heads rather than the GT40's.

ok cool...my ignorance lead me to believe that there was probably tooling to make these...did not realize they were hand built.......by the way your ex is the same color as mine....what do they call it? pearl white?

Ya those headers are made one at a time. He does use jigs to make the headers repeatable and then sends them out to get coated.

I believe it is referred to as pearl white. Not my first choice, but right now its more about go than show.

TMH Headers should be one of the first mods you should do to your 5.0

i purposely bought a 2wd 5.0....i lost my 6 figure job.....sold 04 cobra......have a 5 yr old son and a daughter coming in about 3 weeks.......my wife is cool as sh*t she says" honey, just get a 5.0 explorer, you've built tons of those motors and i know you can make it the fastest kid carrying brick on the road" god bless her. Whats the best forum for people like you and I that don't care about lifts and bling so much, but making power instead?

Well, we have the need for speed section here.
Sorry to say, this is about the most you'll find about modifying n explorer either way.

Seems people who have the resources to build a fast vehicle choose something other than an explorer as a running platform.

That being said, just use what you know from 5.0 mustangs and work it into the truck. Be sure you look things over well before ordering parts.

Good luck.

Thanks Turdle, I know these things are heavy, but so was my cobra, and I like the idea of a cammin' off explorer with the kids in the back. I have never personally seen or heard one with good exhaust, custom cam, and a proper tune in person or online, there again i have just started looking so maybe it's there and I haven't found it yet. The ONLY joy of losing a 6 figure job is gaining a life and time, unfortunately with little money to embellish the aforementioned.

well holy sh*t i was speaking with the owner of said truck!
Ever dyno it or take it to the track?

well holy sh*t i was speaking with the owner of said truck!
Ever dyno it or take it to the track?

Not any longer-pufferfish now owns that Mountaineer.

I took it to the track one time, and only got 2 passes in. I think somewhere around 14.6 was the better of the 2 passes.

That letter cam likes the 347, no lack of torque there....any tranny mods? I've always been a get a wideband and tune it myself kinda guy, figured sct pro racer software and wideband. Did you build the 347 yourself? What options did you choose? I myself always built 331's for turbo stangs. But the na 347 makes more torque better for this application. Hmmmmm anybody done a flipped header turbo yet?......im not crazy about remote mount, but it looks tight in there....Hmmmm I wonder how much room is in the wheel wells.....I gotta stop! :)

sorry new to the forum....art carr 3000 stall...hensen tune....answered some of my questions

Thank you kindly sir, I assume that troll is a username for a fellow that also enjoys going fast?

Hey, I asked in another thread and did some searching, but to no avail. Is there an advantage to getting rid of the restrictive 90 degree adaptor after the throttle body? It seems like it would kill flow and throttle response. Ive got mustang throttle bodies, iac's, tps', egr.'s, throttle cable, cruise cable, etc. laying around. Can/should it be converted? I could easily build an intake track after that, just not sure if theres an advantage.

Not sure if there is any advantage or not to taking out the elbow. If there is I think it would be minimal. If you are running aftermarket intake and TB and forced induction maybe then. I have a trick flow intake and it has a 75mm opening and the explorer elbow is 70mm. The explorer TB is 65mm. I will be running a 70mm acufab TB with the stock elbow. The good thing with running the stock elbow is that the throttle and cruise cable brackets are maintained.

I believe Turdle ran a 45 degree elbow with a custom rigged throttle cable bracket, but lost cruise control.

It seems like a waste of time mod.....my carbide bits are dying for use...ill pull it off and see if theres anything to be gained.....i used to always port the gt40 lower so i might go ahead and do that too. Do the gt40p heads have emission "****" in the exhaust ports?

Back