Tube doors | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tube doors

Hey that stuff looks really good. I have a question --- now I know the doors on the Jeeps are street legal.... what about these? I have a feeling they aren't because they aren't from the factory like that, but I have always wanted doors like that. Again, great product!

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Leagality- I'm not sure, but here where I live people still ride horses around town ;)

nice...

Jefe said:
Not sure when it changed, but my door switch is actually a part of the door latch (door side).

I plan to put multi-pin connectors on the harness between the door and body, so that I can go doorless when I want to. I will just make up some spare connectors with a jumper for the door switch that I will install in place of the door (and will also protect the connector from the elements).

Thats how the switch is on my Ranger too, first gen Ex's have that push in type switch don't they?

^^Yep

i have the same idea as jefe. since i live in illinois and my truck is a DD, i definitely want the door option. what are the laws on having no doors? do you have to have something and thats why you guys put in tube doors, or is that just personal preference. i see jeeps without doors all the time, so i figured it was legal. and i bet removing the doors takes alot of excess trail weight away.

it also takes away from the structural integritty of your cab when you remove the doors, so you might wanna think about that before you go driving everywhere withouth doors. (read roll and/or full cage, then remove doors)

I'm thinking of doing like what RockRanger did to his old truck door. I'm might get another set of doors and chop them in half horizontally and weld a cap on them.

I'll find a pic.

101WidowmakerMatt.jpg

Bringing this thread back from the dead....

Anyone know what Jeep those latches came off of? (TJ/YJ/CJ/etc) I'm building some tube doors like Rick's, but I will probably use these latches because I could still use the stock door striker(or did you have to modify the striker to work with the Heep latches?) Thanks

bmxking5 said:
Bringing this thread back from the dead....

Anyone know what Jeep those latches came off of? (TJ/YJ/CJ/etc) I'm building some tube doors like Rick's, but I will probably use these latches because I could still use the stock door striker(or did you have to modify the striker to work with the Heep latches?) Thanks
:confused:
First post:
hvac man said:
I fabbed mounting tabs to hold a jeep CJ soft door latch. . .

Thanks and sorry for my stupidity :eek:

Actually, after talking to the Jeeper that had the CJ latches, he said that those latches ARE NOT CJ latches. He said they're YJ latches. He said the CJ ones have a different type of latch and wouldn't be able to work with the stock door striker. He showed me this: http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=50

These YJ latches look identical to the ones used on Hvac's tube doors.

could have just asked, besttop latches ;)

Back