Completed Project - Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread | Page 49 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Hello everybody! It's time to start the SAS on my Explorer. It will be an awesome project and the first project of this type and size that I have ever undertaken. Up to this point the sliders where the hardest thing that I have made myself. I am open to any suggestions and or insights from anyone as the project gets underway. I have bought every last part for the build minus the hard brake lines (axles, and from master to the frame) and the flexible lines that go down to the axles. Those are all easy to make so I am not worried about it for now until I get the axles put together and can see what i want to do with those.

Now for a list of things I will be doing with the project:
1995 F-150 8.8 - I bought this used rear axle that I will strip, lock with a Detroit, convert to Explorer Disc brakes, and mount to the truck. Factory rear sway bar will be used. I will be doing a spring over conversion and will also be remaking the rear V8 anti axle wrap bars to help the leaf springs out with the leverage and TQ the V8 37's and 5.13's will put on them.
1976 F-150 HP Dana 44 - I bought this used axle and will be stripping it of the Ford factory wedges, trussing, and building custom glorified radius arms. Like DB_1 runs and like Rubicon Expresses makes. Front will also have a Detroit Truetrac LSD in it as well. This Dana 44 has 1/2" thick axle tubes.
Fox 14" Remote reservoir coil-overs - I will be building shock hoops for these coil-overs, bracing them, and tying them together across the top of the engine with removable double lock tube clamps.
1995 F-150 Steering box - This will be mounted inside the frame rail and used with the factory PS pump and will build a custom steering link from the box to the column. I picked this 1 to keep it ALL Ford and 2 because they are fairly cheap and easy and can be tapped for hydro assist at some point if I want or need it. In order to fit this steering gear I also have to remote mount my oil filter so that it has room. I will be getting rid of the factory oil cooler and have a Trans Dapt remote filter relocation kit.

Project Parts Section:
-37X13.50 R17 Interco M-16's
-Fox 14" Remote reservoir coil-overs with Eibach Springs.
-Detroit Locker for the 8.8
-Detroit Truetrac for the Dana 44
-Yukon 5.13 gears for both front and rear.
-Both axles will receive ALL new bearings races and seals u-joints etc.
-All wheel studs front and rear and spindle studs have been replaced for safety reasons. To cheap not to.
-Already had EBC brakes on it so those pads on rear will be reused and new EBC 7000 series pads for the front have been purchased.
-New front rotors wheel bearings and new Spicer ball joints, going to reuse the warn locking hubs as they work great and are in good order and easily changed later if i wanted.
-1978 Ford T-Bird calipers have been bought in place of the factory F-150 ones. They are 17% bigger in piston size so will give me a little more brake up front to help stop those 37's.
-Trans Dapt Oil filter relocation Kit and addition mount to hook to the block at a 90*.
-Currie Johnny Joints and Rubicon Express Clevite bushings for the all the link ends.
-GM 1 ton tre's for the steering with a high angle tre at the pitman arm.
-Front axle truss. (wasn't impressed with it at all so will be making some changes)
-Extending current Expedition rear drive shaft and will have a custom double cardon one made for the front.
-Metal used: 2"X.250 wall DOM for lower links, 1 1/2"X.250 wall DOM used for upper links, 1 1/2"X.375 wall DOM used for trac bar, and ALL tabs and brackets will be made out of 1/4" Flat plate by me.
-Double lock tube clamps for the shock hoop cross brace that uses 2 3/8" bolts on each. These are so It can be removed.
-All Grade 8 hardware will be used.
-All flexible brake lines will be braided stainless steel Teflon lined hoses.

I like to follow others projects and often find myself wanting more pictures so bare with me there will be A LOT of pictures of the build. I hope you enjoy lots of pictures as much as I do.

First some pictures of what the truck was! Then onto some parts pictures. Build will start shortly.
1998 XLT Explorer. 5.0L with the 4R70W trans. I have the 4406 T-Case. 3.73 gears with rear LSD. Goodyear 31's. Rock sliders and front skid plate. Links to those builds are in my signature.

P1020388.JPG

P1020410.JPG

P1020476.JPG

P1020488.JPG

And here is some video links! :) There are a few videos of me wheeling in CO with nssj2!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well congrats on the newest child, and Momma making it through all that. 2 of them that close together, will be almost like having twins. Fun times a coming!

Now, if you would put a clamp on it, and get back to making Mods instead, I can continue to enjoy watching your rig progress into the pure awesomeness it is. K?

Lol, think 4 is enough for us. And technically they are Irish twins they are both born in 2018. The 4th also has a Dec 27th birthday and so does my 1st.
Want to do some cool stuff just need to get the basement finished then back to a bit of play time. (BTW 2 kids that close is a lot of work, I mean after they are born as well ;))

Great looking rig. Amazing work. Congrats. Question on your brakes, It looks like you bypassed the ABS system by re-routing the lines. Can you explain the effects and how has it worked for you by doing this? Are you getting a constant ABS light or Did you remove the ABS light from the dash?

Yes, I kept the ABS control module, it is needed for my VSS. I only removed the HPU portion and it has worked well. In gravel or sand the fronts lock a bit before the rear which is perfect and predictable never felt any ill effects off-road or on road even on slick roads. I do however have oversized front T-Bird calipers and the factory rear explorer calipers. I also have 2 permanent ABS codes 1 for each of the front wheel speed sensors having no signal. I have simply removed the bulb and its never been a bother and haven't really been interested in making tone rings or correcting it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

BTW, now that I have 4 kids I need 6 seats. Anyone have any great ideas or options for adding an old school seat in the rear?

BTW, now that I have 4 kids I need 6 seats. Anyone have any great ideas or options for adding an old school seat in the rear?

Time to upgrade to a 3rd gen.......

There's been a few people to do the volvo style rear facing seat. Not sure I'd want to be riding on trails facing backwards but kids can do this easier than us adults.

Congrats on all the littles!!! I also have 4 kids with my youngest 2 being twins. They have definitely slowed down my sweet auto builds in favor of a bigger house, bigger car for momma and we could use a cow now going though at least 5 gallons of milk per week.

Lol, think 4 is enough for us. And technically they are Irish twins they are both born in 2018. The 4th also has a Dec 27th birthday and so does my 1st.
Want to do some cool stuff just need to get the basement finished then back to a bit of play time. (BTW 2 kids that close is a lot of work, I mean after they are born as well ;))

Yes, I kept the ABS control module, it is needed for my VSS. I only removed the HPU portion and it has worked well. In gravel or sand the fronts lock a bit before the rear which is perfect and predictable never felt any ill effects off-road or on road even on slick roads. I do however have oversized front T-Bird calipers and the factory rear explorer calipers. I also have 2 permanent ABS codes 1 for each of the front wheel speed sensors having no signal. I have simply removed the bulb and its never been a bother and haven't really been interested in making tone rings or correcting it.

Thank you.

To be clear, you bypassed both lines entering the ABS module going direct to the front/rear brakes. Did you plug the open ports on the ABS block to seal it.

Elec. connections to the ABS block are connected as normal.

My Ex is a 97', I put a D30 under mine, going through the ABS module, brakes appear to function normally, minus ABS functions of which I have a light on the dash.

Thank you.

To be clear, you bypassed both lines entering the ABS module going direct to the front/rear brakes. Did you plug the open ports on the ABS block to seal it.

Elec. connections to the ABS block are connected as normal.

My Ex is a 97', I put a D30 under mine, going through the ABS module, brakes appear to function normally, minus ABS functions of which I have a light on the dash.

You can detach that block from the electronic part and get rid of it altogether. BTW when I did it, I found it a bit unclear whether the front or rear port of the master cylinder is for the front or rear brakes, so I used the front port for the front brakes and it seems to work just fine. After the fact I think I remember reading that it's typically supposed to be the other way around, but on the stock 2nd gen masters it doesn't make a difference. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that though.

Let me guess, you went off roading in the back yard? Most people have to drive hundreds of miles to get that kind of scenery .:laugh:

explorer looks awesome

Thanks 410, and BK almost. However that a very good guess minus being stuck at the house this year. But what that did mean is some new parts are on! :)

Looks like you stepped up to RCV's. I have them in mine. Other than the hit to the wallet I love them.

Kait and Kyson.jpg
Kait and Kyson 2.jpg

I was going back through the last few pages of this thread seeing what I have posted and came across these 2 pictures a few pages back. Crazy to think how much bigger they are now. They are over 3 years older now than in these pictures.

We went wheeling over Christmas break in Sand Hollow (in southern Utah) and they still have the same smiles, grins and giggles as they show in these pictures. I need to take them out more for sure. It was the first real trip the 2 youngest boys have been on and they LOVED it. Was fun to listen to everyone giggle as we hit the sand dunes and some great slick rock. Broke on day 2 hence the new pictures of the RCV's. :bounce:

I know they are pricy, but I have not had an issue with axles since I stepped up. I run Detroit locker in the front of my Bronco and ARB in my Monsterneer. You will also notice that when you are turning in 4WD they work much more smoothly than normal axles. None of that lobey feel pulling against the steering wheel.

This is from a year ago. But if we are going to go wheeling as a family it needs to sit at least 6. So I made a 3rd row including harnesses.
20200407_163150.jpg
20200407_164301.jpg
20200407_202738.jpg
20200407_203140.jpg

Lap Belts are bolted to the lower frame portion and the uppers just go around the seat and bolt to the upper frame portion. This is easily every bit as good as the single lap belt in the center of the 2nd row.

20200419_132935.jpg

20200419_142833.jpg

20200419_153121.jpg

Well done! Rzr seats are perfect! Flat bottoms and 4 point harness!

Thanks for sharing

Back