Upgrade Torsion Bars? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade Torsion Bars?

I am not certain if this is true for all Ranger FX4's, but mine came with "1" torsion bars according to the door jam (the part number that Ray provided looks like what I saw too).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone been able to find out the

answer to this question?

Are Sport Trac code 1 bars stiffer? Are they interchangable between explorers? I have "B" bars but would like to upgrade.....but the dealerships are lacking in any help. They say the only way to tell if they will fit is to try it.....but I would have to buy the part first and pay the labor ....even if they don't fit.....and they will not take the bar back..... I just want to know if anyone has done this yet?

Karol

Karol, yes they are stiffer and yes they will work. The Sport Trac front suspension is the same as the SLA explorers and rangers.

Jason

sorry to ask this over and over and for being a pain in the a$$ ....but is anybody really sure that these torsion bars will fit a 96? The sport trac didn't come out until later....I want to be at least 95% positive that they will because I will have to buy them and hope they will fit...... I can always sell them on ebay I guess but I don't want to go that route if I don't have to.....

Karol

Bump

I figured I would bump this since no one has actually fitted them. If so.. they haven't said anything. I am referencing the "1" rated bars.

I don't know either FOR ABSOLUTE sure... I got back from overseas a few weeks ago and forgot about this thread. Ford is generally pretty good with interchangabilty between different model explorers and suspension parts. I know my shocks and leaf springs are interchangable. If that isn't ambiguous enough for you :rolleyes: All that I have read is that the Sport Trac Front is the same as the Explorer with a Ranger (strengthened) frame, and it is made in Louisville with the Ex and Mounty.
:chug:

Talk Johnstone into a SAS with his bada$$ Sport Trac, and see if someone can do some research with his T-Bars :D

Re: We may be on the right Trac

Originally posted by GJarrett

What about Expedition bars or (fill in the blank)? I'd go around crawling under vehicles tonight but it's raining cats and dogs here right now.

So get this.. In my attempt to find longer torsion bar adjuster bolts, we went to our local FoMoCo and had the parts guy look up the torsion bolt of an F150. Its actually the same size as ours, and the wierder thing was, the Explorer torsion bars and the F150 torsion bars had the same part # (Both were B rated). I always thought that F150's had longer torsion bars, but the part #'s were the same....

Take out of that what you will...:monkey:

:rolleyes: :eek: :banghead:

i give up...

Well we are about to find out

I purchased rated 1 bars and JDraper is doing my lift....when he takes out my B bars he will attempt to put in the rated 1 bars.....so I will keep everyone updated ...when I hear you will hear..

Karol

definatly interested in keeping up to speed on this

Well, we know know that "1" bars will fit an Explorer. I test fit them today and they are the same length and have the same mounts as the B Bars. I haven't installed them completely yet because I am waiting on the T-Bar isolators to arrive. The B-Bars I took out measure 1.065" in diameter, and the 1 Bars measure 1.110" in diameter, so they should be stronger, all other things being equal (metallurgy, heat treat, etc)

Thanks

I am really glad you kept us up to date on this... Aprreciate it alot

Thanks!

I'm relieved that I didn't have to lug those bars into the UPS and ship them to you for nothing!!! damn things were heavy.....

Karol

Well I just finished putting my Fathers day present in today and I concur that the rated "1" bar do infact FIT!
I did get some height back, but not as much as I had hoped for. The drivers side is cranked all the way in, and the passenger side has got about 1/2" left.
Now I must admit that the 200 pounds of winch and grill guard don't help, but I thought I would get more height. They are setting at about 5 degrees past horizontal. Better than them sitting flat with them cranked all the way. I do not believe that they are that much stiff than the "B" rated bars.
I do have pictures of the installation in my gallery if anyone has any questions about what this stuff looks like.
JDraper, Thanks for the info. I took your advice and just bought the universal gear puller, it worked just fine. :thumbsup:

Ray, you might want to consider rotating your t-bar arms one slot to get more height. With Karol's truck, I had no problem getting her truck back to where it belongs with a winch, skid plate, rocksliders, etc on it. Now, she also has the 4" superlift, but take a look at Gerald's writeup on his torsion bars. If I remember correctly, he rotated them because he wasn't getting enough lift out of them.

Ray, glad to hear that they fit, and I am sorry that they weren't too much of an increase... but hopefully at least worth the labor to do the job :) Jeff, I haven't read it in awhile but I think Gerald discovered that his Tortions were a rotation off of what they should have been from the factory.... ie; faulty install from the beginning; although it's definately worth a shot.

Now, something else I have been thinking of is (and just a bit off-topic) will a Sport Tracs leaf Springs give a standard explorer (sport/4-door) a small to moderate lift in the rear?? Just wondering :confused: Not that it would be that much more cost effective for anyone, but for if it did work out; it may help some that don't want to use an AAL, or lower their back-end with trail ride goodies :D I know the Sport Trac supposedly has more of a payload (I think 1K-1.5K) or so... so it only makes sense..... it seems?!

I had similar results with mine. After putting on the new bars it barely made a noticable difference with the winch and brushguard on there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been driving it around and do have to admit that it does ride smoother and more responsive than the old T-bars.
I might try and move them a notch and see how they work.

Back