Upgrading TV's to LED in RV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading TV's to LED in RV

My latest project is to upgrade the TV's in my 2005 Winnebago class "A" to LED. I have wanted to do this for awhile for viewing pleasure, and to update the look of the coach (most 2007's and newer have flat screens). I forgot to take some "before" pictures, but a found a few of the front TV.

DSCF0004_Large_.JPG

DSCF0157_Large_.JPG

You can see how the old TV mount hung down and partially blocked the view out the windshield when standing in the coach.

I picked up a 32" Samsung today from Costco that appears to fit the width of the space left from the old TV, slightly overlapping the opening 1/2" on each side. This particular model has a flat lip that should rest against the cabinet nicely. It has rear mounted speakers, but they are aimed down instead of to the rear like most new flat screens. I also ordered a marine grade 22" LED/DVD combo for the bed room that runs on 12 or 110 volts.

I have done this update on my parent's Dolphin and my sister's Dameon with success so I thought this would be easy. Until I removed the old TV from the front panel. The other two coaches had the TV framed with wood and bolted in metal supports. Good old Winnebago has a heavy welded frame supporting the TV that goes behind the cabinets to both sides and the roof of the RV. It is bolted in several places and I would have to pull the cabinets to get it out.

Old TV removed:
IMG_20150110_114010444_Large_.jpg

I never liked that big, heavy TV hanging over my head while driving.

Winnebago TV frame pics;
IMG_20150110_114044224_HDR_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150110_114951838_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150110_114940621_Large_.jpg

The bedroom TV was a 10 or 11" portable that sat on a wood shelf in the corner near the ceiling. A real head knocker when trying to sneak into bed at 2am without waking the wife after a great time around the fire. The shelf was fairly easy to remove, I just pried the front trim off, removed the bottom paneling and unscrewed eight large wood screws (need to fill some holes)

IMG_20150112_104756750_Large_.jpg

Front TV: The plan is to cut out the bottom flat part of the mount and the three supports out so they end slightly above the bottom of the cabinets. I can then use the supports and the top portion to mount a fabricated hinged mount for the LED (still working on the design of the mount). The LED TV is much lighter and does not have to rest on anything, so I will not need that flat steel plate. I will need to trim down the cover for the removed plate so it fits flush with the bottom of the cabinet, with a cut-out behind the TV for access and sound. I want to reinforce it to securely hold the rear facing camera monitor, more for peace of mind than actual necessity. For that, I picked up some 1/4" plywood.

Since the ceiling is curved, and there are existing screw holes to cover on the cabinet face, I will also need to cut-down the original trim around the old TV to match the new. If the ceiling was flat, I could have mounted the new TV flush against it, like I did with my parents and sisters coach.

The bedroom TV is just going to be mounted with a pull-out type wall mount, the smallest one I can find.

More to come.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spent some time on this today. Got the bottom of the TV frame removed. It was a pain because I could not just get in there with an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel due to all the wood, electrical, fiberglass and other stuff inside the RV that does not respond well to heat and sparks. Ended up cutting out the bottom, then propped the sides out so I could cut them off with a reciprocating saw with a short blade.

Then I spent about two hours measuring and pondering, then cut out the pieces for the new TV mount. Still need to figure out the bottom section cross piece for the lower mounts. Lately, I have turned into a think about it, measure five times and cut once kind of guy.

Also filled all the holes in the wall left over from the shelf mount in the bedroom with wood filler.

Cut out piece (weighs about ten pounds);
IMG_20150113_111046788_HDR_Large_.jpg

Empty space to work with;
IMG_20150113_123830439_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150113_123818677_HDR_Large_.jpg

Partial mocked-up new TV mount;
IMG_20150113_170011507_Large_.jpg

I think the lower cross brace is not going to be necessary when I weld on a 28" wide piece of angle 90* across the bottom.

Gonna have to watch this as our front tv fell out in our laps while driving down the highway! Almost squashed the dogs!!

Gonna have to watch this as our front tv fell out in our laps while driving down the highway! Almost squashed the dogs!!

That should make it easier to replace.

The TV I pulled out weighs about 40 pounds and the new LED TV is about six. When I first picked up the box I thought it was empty.

Looks like a good project so far, Brian. A couple things I utilized while adding TVs to the RV was this dood and this dood.

Made it possible to plug hard drives, camera, etc. into the TV for video playback. EDIT. I should add that mine was a flat mount.. no tilt type deal. But the extension cord still makes it handy so your device isn't hanging from the USB port.

Thanks. I am planning on having a cut-out on the flat cover to get a hand up in there to plug / unplug stuff, and am leaving extra HDMI and RCA cables already plugged in and resting in the empty space behind the TV for temporary accessories. The bedroom TV has a built in DVD, USB and card reader.
The way I have always set up the TV's in RVs is to slave the bedroom TV to the cable that comes from the front TV. Then, I only need one DVD player in the coach. But if someone is watching a DVD on the front I am stuck watching same. With this new TV for the bedroom being a combo, I can keep it slaved to the main TV, but still watch something different if I choose.

We are not really big TV watchers in the RV, and don't even have satellite, but the old stuff was just too crappy to watch anything with anymore with what I have in the house.

Nice. Looking forward to continue watching this!

Got some more done today. Got the mount finish welded, cleaned up and painted.

IMG_20150115_160855802_Large_.jpg

Installed:

The top bolts are stationary and it pivots on the hinge for access. The two pieces of flat bar are used to hold it in place with bolts once every thing is mounted (TV, wiring, etc.) This way there is no mounting visible.
IMG_20150116_164119168_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150116_164133720_Large_.jpg

The lower bolts are accessed through the side cabinets via new holes so I can remove the TV with the bottom cover attached. Bottom cover is screwed into the bottom of the cabinets from inside the TV well:
IMG_20150116_164248547_Large_.jpg

TV in place to make sure it all still fits. I still need to cut down the trim piece to fit on the top and sides:
IMG_20150115_123801778_HDR_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150115_123859339_HDR_Large_.jpg

Then, I did the tedious job of pulling out all these staples to get the cloth covering off the bottom cover so I can cut it down to fit and stiffen it with some 1/4" plywood supports so the rear camera monitor does not vibrate. It should only end up below the cabinet a few inches, and above the bottom of the TV so the speakers will be unobstructed. I want it to wrap around the contour of the backside of the TV with a hand sized cut out for wiring access. It should also be nearly flush with the bottom of the cabinets at the windshield side.
IMG_20150116_164048623_Large_.jpg

If you look at the second picture, this cover fits between the three steel supports on each side and the bottom edge of the cabinets. It used to be screwed into the wood with screws. I am going to screw through the steel supports instead, wedging the cover in and locking the bottom of the supports in place.

Kitchen counter, but hey.

Bottom cover cut out to fit
IMG_20150117_124510120_Large_.jpg

Supported with a bunch of screws, construction adhesive and 1/4" plywood pieces. It is very rigid now.
IMG_20150117_135147988_Large_.jpg

Tomorrow I am hoping to be finished with the front TV install as all I need to do is cover the bottom cover with the original material and cut down and stain the oak trim around the TV.

Got this project all wrapped up today. I am pleased with the results. More visibility out the front, new TV's and updated the look of the coach.

Pics of front TV
IMG_20150123_160356122_HDR_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150123_113726614_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150123_111901298_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150123_163901732_Large_.jpg

It took a while to get the trim just right around the front TV. All day yesterday, in fact. Then I had to pull the TV off the mount to adjust the mount to get it all square. Finally got to hit something with this project with a BFH. One whack, and it lined up.

Bedroom TV/DVD combo
IMG_20150123_163822971_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150123_163844124_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150123_152422428_Large_.jpg

I was getting worried about the bedroom TV mount because I could not find any part of the wall strong enough to carry even this little TV. Drilled a bunch of tiny exploratory holes in the side wall with no luck. Then, I started knocking on the wall and noticed that the wall between the bedroom and the bathroom seemed to be much more solid in one spot. Drilled one more hole and hit a metal stud.....Score!!
TV looks small on the bedroom wall, but it has a 12" larger screen area than the old unit. Besides, the room is very small and I liked the idea of having a DVD, USB, card reader, built in. Might have to drop it down about four inches to get a better viewing angle.

Nice job :thumbsup:

Now you just need to upgrade your goofy looking back up camera monitor :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update:

During the trip to Tierra Del Sol, the 32" TV did not squeak or move at all. Rear-facing camera monitor did not shake, rattle or roll. The rear TV was still solidly mounted on the wall when we got home, and I watched a little TV on it during the trip. Sound quality is not great and the picture is very directional, meaning you have to have the screen facing near directly at you to get the best picture. If it was in the living room area it would not work, but in the bedroom with limited viewing area, it is fine. Still pleased with the install with no plans to change anything. I think I got it right the first time.

Might need a new inverter in the future as I can hear the fan bearings for a few minutes after start up in the current unit. Thinking of splurging and getting a larger remote unit that can run the entire rig while remote camping.

Back