Upper Intake Removal (to install heat spacer) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper Intake Removal (to install heat spacer)

KurtAbbott

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
Weekend warrior mechanic (not even that good) looking for step by step on how to remove upper intake to install a 1" heat spacer. The key is step by step since I don't completely know my way around. I'm dying to install the heat spacer for my 1997 5.0L Explorer I've had in my garage for the last three months! Any tips or tricks to cleaning the area for maximum results is also appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kurt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a 1" thick spacer. Sorry should have given that detail.

Kurt

That does make a difference.
The egr tube will be the biggest PITA
Not only is it hard to remove in the first place--
It will need to be stretched to make up for the sitance. Since it is a hard pipe, it is an issue

I don't have the external EGR tube. My 1997 Explorer was built in 8/96 so I have the smooth tubes headers. So, I'm thinking the EGR stretching would not be an issue. I might be wrong about that.

Kurt

Thanks Mountaineergree. I really appreciate it. Good luck with your project.

Thanks for everyone else for their input too. I appreciate it.

Kurt

I don't have the external EGR tube. My 1997 Explorer was built in 8/96 so I have the smooth tubes headers. So, I'm thinking the EGR stretching would not be an issue. I might be wrong about that.

Kurt
That makes it much easier--
I would recommend waiting on Evan to post a how to--he's pretty good at this.

I had mine off three times in two weeks last year.
The aforementioned ERG tube was a bite as was acessing the two rear torx screws that hold the intake on. That said I just noticed you have a 5.0 and i have a SOHC so I might not be of help.
Sorry

Back