Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
Uwahrrie, NC Run Late November

This place has a lot to offer, and is centrally located for alot of us ECX guys.

The trails here are very "moderate" with only a couple of "more difficult" trails. However, none of the trails can be attempted with a "stock" LWB 4x4.

Last time the turnout was a measly 3 people :rolleyes: , I know we can do better than that!

Here's a link to some pics, a brief description, and a trail map.

Dead Link Removed

So who's game??? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LWB, does that include an extended cab ranger with 32s. Cause I want to come up there, but your "However" kinda makes me wonder.

If you have 32's your rig isn't stock.

You'll be fine!

dang... i'm planning on heading to tellico with the big dawgs in early nov (as passenger unless i win the lotto). i probably can't get outta here twice in a month for wheelin. i'll see if i can though!

jason.. could i handle these trails?

Jason-I can't remember, are your running boards removed? If so, you will be able to do most trails.

how about me? when i get the 32's (hopefully!)on the X.

will i get body damage?

if i go can my best friend come in his j**p?

yeah.. the have been sitting in the garage for a while....

Originally posted by jasonb
yeah.. the have been sitting in the garage for a while....
Sweet. I hope you can make it. It's more fun than some of those trails in Georgia because you're not constantly worried that your life is in danger :D

Originally posted by Digger196
how about me? when i get the 32's (hopefully!)on the X.

will i get body damage?

if i go can my best friend come in his j**p?
Of course you can come. Assuming you are 18 or older, if not you will need a parent with you.

Body Damage is a relative thing. Hopefully you won't get a huge dent or anything.

Oh and yes, your pal with the jeep may come too, assuming he is 18 or older.

man i hate that rule. i'm only 16! that sucks, and Dad won't come. oh well

Originally posted by Jason_25

Sweet. I hope you can make it. It's more fun than some of those trails in Georgia because you're not constantly worried that your life is in danger :D

haha.. i remember the heart beating pretty dang hard a few times on that first amicalola trail! anyway... i'll keep watching the thread and i'll see what i can do to make it! looks like a fun place from the pics on that site.

I could be persuaded to make a trip down there from jersey... :D

I can walk a LWB Ranger through that I bet, Stock....are 31's good:D

Heh, I was one of the 3 last time. :)

From my experience, a 4 door with 31" tires will get body damage. Not from the obstacles, those you can handle (with the right line and spotter), but the little 'hills' all over the trails that keep the rain from making huge ruts in the trails. Every time I went over one (even the first one into the trails) I basically set the frame on the top of the hill and had to drag the truck over it. The fact that I have a 3" body lift made this possible since the bottom of the doors is now higher than the bottom of the frame. Otherwise I would have been sitting it down on the rocker panels/running boards instead of the frame.
A torsion twist and 31's may make it so the 'hills' give you no trouble, but I doubt it. TT and 32's, maybe.
If you have a body lift, you're good to go. Just have to drive it right.
Factory skid plates are a must. If not, you will have no more gas tank after about 15 feet into the trails.

If you have a 2-door model, you will probably be okay with just 31's and a TT. I don't know, I'm just guessing. Jason had the TT and 32" tires and didn't hit any of the 'hills' all day long. The shorter wheelbase makes it so the back tires start up the 'hill' before the middle of the truck hits the top of it.

A Ranger should be fine.

I must admit that this was one of the most fun trips I've had. I wasn't afraid of rolling over or seriously tearing something up on the trails. (there were other trails I would have, but I didn't do them and there were times I could have, but proper spotting got me through) But, each 'hill' we came to (seems like there were 1000's of them :rolleyes: ) was an obstacle for me, so the entire day was testing my abilities. Jason on the other hand drove over them like they weren't even there. :)

I might make it down there again this time. We'll see as the date gets closer. (have to survive the GWNF run on the 9th and 10th first) ;)

I don't understand why you need to 18 to go. For liability reasons?. Or is that a Park rule?.

Originally posted by bonnich
For liability reasons?
Yep. No parent is gonna sue me for their kid getting hurt.

I'd be interested in coming up to Uwharrie for a day or a weekend.

Hopefully, I'll have some mods done to the Ex by then, but I don't know. I might have to ride shotgun again.

Do we have an idea for what date this might be?

I'm thinking the weekend after thanksgiving. Sound alright?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking Nov. 29-30.

Back