• Register Today It's free!

V8 idler pulley? Where to buy?

Mneofreek

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Cites, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 V8 XLT AWD
I found out that the idler pulley on my 5.0 is shot. Its not the smooth one on the top of the engine, its the ribbed one on the bottom near the tensioner. No auto parts stores seem to have it. Is it a part I am likely going to have to get from Ford? Or am I just asking for it by the wrong name?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I robbed mine off another 5.0L because no auto parts places had the ribbed pullies, also the idler they sold me was the wrong sixe to fit over my tensioner, the Car Quest computer was WRONG, nice hua?

Junk yard, replace just the bearing, or Ford unless you can get the Ford part # and then find the correct pulley that way....

Frequently the bearing is replacable, is that the case here?

I blew tha5t one also wheelin. 13$ from pep boys and i was on my way

mine makes a whinding sound.....time to replace i guess. is this so?

ya. i tracked it down. I placed a wooden broom stick on the pulleys and the idler was the one that made the sound. THe cps was the second thing i was worried about. At first i thought it was the alternator. I hear a lot of jeeps and other fords make the same sound. THe sound started after i went through some headlight deep muddy water.(yes my intake was dry)

I was able to pick one up from Ford. $31 for it though. It even came with a new bolt and everything. I will get it replaced tonight.

To tell how it was bad I just took the belt off and spun it. It made a nasty sounding noise so I took it off and the bearing had separated and had metal shavings in it. It was a matter of time before it was going to go out.

[QUOTE='97 V8]THe sound started after i went through some headlight deep muddy water.(yes my intake was dry)[/QUOTE]

Actually the alternator, belt tensioner, and idler pulley all started making bad noises at around the same time. It was after a big rain storm and I had went through some big puddles. Water does a number on the pulleys that Ford put in. The idler pulley just happens to be the last thing I have to replace.

as for buyin pullies, you guys should try our site sponsor. www.fastpartsnetwork.com they have the pulley and everything needed for 27 bucks.

Or you can replace the bearings for like $3 ea :)

410Fortune said:
Or you can replace the bearings for like $3 ea :)

im always for a savin money...can you point me to a direction in where i can buy bearings?

[QUOTE='97 V8]as for buyin pullies, you guys should try our site sponsor. www.fastpartsnetwork.com they have the pulley and everything needed for 27 bucks.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that but I was afraid that it was the smooth top idler pulley. There was no picture on the site. BTW it was that price at Ford for the one I got...plus tax though. I do like that site its just that with things like this you have gotta make sure you have the correct one or your just wasting time and money.

[QUOTE='97 V8]im always for a savin money...can you point me to a direction in where i can buy bearings?[/QUOTE]
Napa, Auto Zone, most any electric motor repair shop.

take the bearing out, look at the number on it, find new bearing.
G&S auto parts here in Littleton has the bearings.

Back