V8BoatBuilder's Off Road Buildup: Spring 2008 | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8BoatBuilder's Off Road Buildup: Spring 2008

Here are my plans for my 1997 Mountaineer V8, and the official buildup thread.

The Goal: Fitting Interco TrXus MT 33x12.5R15 with style and offroad prowess.

The Plan:
Front Suspention: Superlift 4"
Rear Suspention: SOA, stock springs, warrior shackles.
Rear Axle: Originally belonging to IZwack, it's a 1998 with 4.56 gears and SOA perches. Limited Slip.
Front Axle: 1995 Explorer, with Central Axle Disconnect. Being regeared to 4.56. Open, perhaps an Aussie Locker.

New tire mounted on rear axle:
RearTire1.jpg

New 33" TrXus MTs vs 31" BFG ATs:
Tire-Comparison01.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aaron, it looks great! Nice work! :thumbsup:

More pics, too, if you can. :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

31's? Why not 33's?

33s will come, wanted to work out any kinks on "known" tires before I slap the 33s on. But I'm itching to finish!

wheres the pictures... i wanna see her!

wheres the pictures... i wanna see her!

Ask, and yee shall receive:

Something has changed.... hrmm....
RearTire31-01.jpg

One of these things is not like the other...
RearTire31-02.jpg

Not too bad!
FirstFlex02.jpg

FirstFlex01.jpg

Still have a bit of work to do, but she's road worthy and a whole lot of good looks.

Very nice pics Aaron!.. It certainly looks like you have put a bit of time into the old Mounty to get it to the point it is now.. It must be awesome off road..

Mounty is lookin good Aaron!!!!:thumbsup:

Drool...:D

Thanks for the compliments. I still need to:

1) Get alignment. The toe is fine, (tracks straight) but I have no idea about camber.

2) Finish front axle disco wiring. Everything is led to the cab, I just need to mount my switch and get the harness plug for the axle sensor.

3) Grind away the torsion bar adjuster skid plates, the pre 98s won't fit directly to the Superlift brackets.

4) New speedo gear. We'll see how far off it is.

That looks real good. Those tires look sick on there. I want 'em

I can't wait to see how they perform, they look "wicked hawt." I think 33s are the smart/safe choice for pleasing the local law enforcement and appeasing the IFS gods, but the first thing I thought was, "shoulda gone to 35s!"

AARON! You're officially hired to help me put in my 4'' lift when I pull the trigger. Nice work bud! :thumbsup:

I want one, too!!! Max jealousy ensues....

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908331+4294907830+4294924667+115&autoview=sku - :(

Anyway, looks great Aaron! I also played with your profile a bit. :D I'm such a sneaky SOB. Hopefully you can make the June 21st run to break it in as well as get some new shots for ya. Oh, and what rims are those?
http://www.dirtyjerseyoffroad.com/aaron.html

-Andy
D.J.O.R. Netzhauptmann

AARON! You're officially hired to help me put in my 4'' lift when I pull the trigger. Nice work bud! :thumbsup:

And you, Jason can help with my BL.
I'll stop hijacking now....

I also played with your profile a bit. :D I'm such a sneaky SOB. Hopefully you can make the June 21st run to break it in as well as get some new shots for ya. Oh, and what rims are those?

Thanks for the update, Andy. Here are some clarifications:

Drive: True 4x4 Conversion, BW4406 Electric T-case, Selectable Disconnect Front Axle

Wheels: Cragar Nomad II 15x8

Tires: 33x12.5R15 Trxus MTs (They're installed, finally!)

Lift: Front 4" Superlift, Rear SOA & Shackles

Beautiful job, Arron (as if we expected anything less from you):thumbsup:

looks great darling... kudos.. when r we takin her out for some local mud runs!

looks great darling... kudos.. when r we takin her out for some local mud runs!

Next week! When are you free in the evening?

looks great, be sure to post up pics of the first run

Put about 60 miles on her today, about half of them at highway speeds. Not too bad!!! No unsafe vibrations or funky road manners on dry or damp pavement.

The TrXus have a nice mudder howl, but I think I'm still getting a driveshaft howl as mentioned above.

Tomorrow morning she goes to Firestone for an alignment, the front camber is off enough to see it in the wheels.

Back