Variable Induction System

2000StreetRod

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
Does anyone know how to test the variable induction system (VIS) on a 2000 SOHC V6? My Haynes Repair Manual shows a vacuum activated valve located on top of the upper air intake plenum just aft of the IAC valve for 1997 thru 2000 models. I don't have that valve but I do have what looks like a VIS switch on the passenger side of the plenum. According to Haynes a valve opens at 3,000 rpm and a scanner is needed to test it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vacuum or PCM control?

My Haynes Manual also states that prior to removing the upper intake manifold to disconnect the electrical connections to the variable induction solenoid valve. The PCM pinout listed on this forum and in my Haynes Manual shows no electrical connection to a variable induction solenoid valve. Also, when I checked the item identified in the Haynes photo, I found vacuum line connections but no electrical connections.

Variable length intake runners

I'm still trying to get some information on the variable length intake runners that supposedly exist on my 2000 SOHC. I found a module on the right rear of the upper intake manifold with one large and two small vacuum lines attached. Does anybody know if this is what controls the intake runners?

intake manifold runner control

Another name for variable intake system (VIS) is intake manifold runner control (IMRC). If you have replaced your lower intake manifold gaskets and have IMRC on your 2000 SOHC then I need your help. I'm trying to determine if I have it on mine and how it is controlled without pulling the manifold.

Dale, I think that was only an early model design, 97 and maybe 1998. I think it went away just like the system on the 4.6 DOHC, Ford discovered they could do better with a normal intake system. I've seen a picture or two of older SOHC trucks with it. That set down in the center of the intakes with a lever of some kind on it. Vacuum or not it had issues, the fix is to install the later parts like ours.

Thanks!

Don, I just read your post on the "4.0 SOHC Seriously fast?" thread explaining that the IMRC/VIS had been eliminated. I was going to thank you on that thread for saving me from searching further for something I don't have. But now you've answered my question directly on this thread. I should have thought to ask you at first since you have so much knowledge about the SOHC.

I had asked my local dyno operator about it who specializes in drag racing Mustangs and he showed me an example DOHC VIS manifold and demonstrated how it worked. He was not very familiar with the Explorer SOHC.

So now my only remaining intake mods are fine tuning my MAFSAmp, enclosing my Spectre cone air filter, and adding thermostatically controlled exhaust heated air (like used on 1st Generation).

Back