Very dumb question but im new to the 4X4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Very dumb question but im new to the 4X4

xxixt4nkxixx

Reaction score
City, State
Denham Springs, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Sport Trac
2001 Ford Exp. ST 4x4

Wondering how many fluids im going to have to change when i get home im redoing ALL FLUIDS.so far i have:

engine oil
transmission
coolant
brake fluids

what am i missing?

also possibly makeing sure all fittings are greased properly any tips on what types of grease to use.

whats the best way to actually clean the outside of the motor im looking for a SMALL oil leak somewhere under neat the engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transfer case
Front Differential
Rear Differential
Power Steering

Best way to clean the motor is to get one of those high strength foaming degreaser (in an aerosal can) and spray the motor down. Doing it at a coin op car wash to use the pressure washer works well. Bring ramps or a jack if you really want to get up and under it. You may want to do it during an off-peak time though.

For cleaning the engine the best quickest way is to use brake clean and a rag or hose to get the really hard stuff off.

You'll need to change the transfer case lube, front differential lube and while your doing all of them the rear diff lube, power steering fluid. Yep I think that's about it. there great how to threads in this section, the '95-01 stock Explorer section and on the projects section on the mysporttrac.com site.

Transfer case
Front Differential
Rear Differential
Power Steering

Best way to clean the motor is to get one of those high strength foaming degreaser (in an aerosal can) and spray the motor down. Doing it at a coin op car wash to use the pressure washer works well. Bring ramps or a jack if you really want to get up and under it. You may want to do it during an off-peak time though.

FYI, most coin op places around here have signs that say no engine washing. Hell they get pissed when I come there all covered in mud and leave a beach behind.

The place im living i dont think they really care lol

anyone wana recomend oils/lube/fluids for the vehicle to keep optimum performance its at 120k miles

Opinions on fluids are all over the place.

Personally, here's what I use:
Wal-Mart synthetic 5w-30 in the engine (that's right, I said Wal-Mart oil)
Wix Oil Filter
NAPA Mercon V ATF in the transmission with Lube Guard
Red Line Gear oils in the differentials (wanna say 75w90 in the front and 75w-130 in the rear- but don't hold me to those numbers)
Some super slick synthetic stuff in the transfer case that the shop put in after they rebuilt it
Coolant- I think I used Peak mixed to about 65%(ish) water to 35%(ish) coolant with Red Line Water Wetter
Power Steering..... factory fill?
Brake Fluid.... factory fill?

Oils and fluids are all going to be pretty similar in function but everyone is going to have different opinions. Some feel the need to justify the money they waste on Royal Purple, lol.

Personally, I stay pretty middle of the road price-wise. Valvoline stuff has always worked great for me. Been using the Valvoline High Mileage stuff in my '69 Cougar since I bought it. Using it on the truck now. No problems, no need to change.

I do think you get what you pay for in filters, though. Mostly, I just stay away from Fram.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil and filter
Prestone antifreeze
Royal Purple Gear/Differential lube
Valvoline Mercon V transmission filter
K&N air filter

Engine oil is a personal preference.
I use Prestone antifreeze and distilled water. To drain it I don't bother with the petcock, I just pull off the lower hose. Refill with distilled water, drive it around, and drain it a few times until it comes out fairly clear. Change it every 50k on all my vehicles.
For the transmission the best way is to have a dealer or shop flush it with a machine to get ALL the fluid. Every 30k.
Transfer case is easy to do yourself if you get a suction gun to fill it. I use Mobil 1 ATF. The manual says to change it every 60k but it will look like tar by 30k. I do mine every 25k.
Really the only way to do the front diff is to have a shop change it with a suction machine. There is no drain plug and you will NOT get the front diff cover off with the diff in the vehicle because of the crossmember. The Valvoline Qwicky Lube here charges $39.95 an axle. At that price it wasn't worth the bother of doing the rear myself either. Now I have a Gen 2 Trac which has a drain plug in the rear but not the front. Did the rear myself and put Mobil 1 75w-140 in it.
New brake fluid whenever the brakes get changed.
Every 10k I will drain the power steering as much as I can with a turkey baster and refill it with Mobil 1 ATF.

Back