Viscous coupler BW4404

mikes02ls1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Casa Grande, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD
Can you make a BW4404 stronger by removing the weak link the viscous coupler? I like the awd setup for drag racing but seeing the coupler sucks on big power. I’ve search the internet and didn’t see my answer. Second wonder how hard it is to swap a NP120 trailblazer SS transfer case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No.

I don’t believe you can weld it up. It’s full of silicon, it’s not like a standard center diff. You wouldn’t want to anyways. If you need something that will handle more power switch to a 4406, and do your launches in 4wd.

Based on the numbering system from NVG a 149 would be stronger than a 120 and the people that have used both cases tend to agree. I know the 149 can fit the ford transmission if you swap out the input shaft. It can be found in various GM vehicles and it was an option on the 04 Grand Cherokee.

Based on the numbering system from NVG a 149 would be stronger than a 120 and the people that have used both cases tend to agree. I know the 149 can fit the ford transmission if you swap out the input shaft. It can be found in various GM vehicles and it was an option on the 04 Grand Cherokee.
That model still uses a silicone fluid filled coupler

Is that stronger than the BW 4404, and similar as an AWD TC? Is the VC for that "149" TC easy to come by, feasible etc? the BW 4404 is scarce, only one brand makes it, last I looked, and it went up to over $360.

The viscous coupler is not functioning like a clutch, trying to transmit all power through to another shaft. The VC only works to maintain the speed of each shaft at the same level. If the traction is equal, than the VC has no load on it, and the power capacity should be based on the strength of the shafts, input and output. The chain might be the weak link for power, it is a medium sized TC, not as large as the BW 4406 etc.

Is that stronger than the BW 4404, and similar as an AWD TC? Is the VC for that "149" TC easy to come by, feasible etc? the BW 4404 is scarce, only one brand makes it, last I looked, and it went up to over $360.

The viscous coupler is not functioning like a clutch, trying to transmit all power through to another shaft. The VC only works to maintain the speed of each shaft at the same level. If the traction is equal, than the VC has no load on it, and the power capacity should be based on the strength of the shafts, input and output. The chain might be the weak link for power, it is a medium sized TC, not as large as the BW 4406 etc.
The coupler can be rebuilt in the 149 for a lot less than the cost of a new unit. $180-300 depending on where you look, some places want to rob you at $500+. The NP120 and 149 both can take some serious abuse. The 149 is far more common as it was used in many popular vehicles from Cadillac, Tahoe Grand Cherokee, etc. Millions of them out there. The Jeep Liberty I'm swapping a diesel into, I want to turn the power up and be able to do awd burnouts. I'm going with the np242HD. Planetary gear setup, the awd setting is rated for over 2k lb/ft of torque and I like that it has high/low range part time 4 wheel drive.

The coupler can be rebuilt in the 149 for a lot less than the cost of a new unit. $180-300 depending on where you look, some places want to rob you at $500+. The NP120 and 149 both can take some serious abuse. The 149 is far more common as it was used in many popular vehicles from Cadillac, Tahoe Grand Cherokee, etc. Millions of them out there. The Jeep Liberty I'm swapping a diesel into, I want to turn the power up and be able to do awd burnouts. I'm going with the np242HD. Planetary gear setup, the awd setting is rated for over 2k lb/ft of torque and I like that it has high/low range part time 4 wheel drive.
Sick swap you will have. Yeah I’m definitely not a awd or 4wd guy. Just a Camaro just that bought a 5.0 Explorer cheap for a daily. Definitely want more power out of the daily to keep smiles per gallon up. I need to get a freaking hybrid for a daily daily that way I won’t modify it. 🤣😂

Sick swap you will have. Yeah I’m definitely not a awd or 4wd guy. Just a Camaro just that bought a 5.0 Explorer cheap for a daily. Definitely want more power out of the daily to keep smiles per gallon up. I need to get a freaking hybrid for a daily daily that way I won’t modify it. 🤣😂
They turn the electric motors up, too. To answer your original question, you would need a custom input shaft for the np120, same as i stated for the 149. AWD is a good thing if you turn the power up, you don't want to end up like a mustang leaving a car show.

They turn the electric motors up, too. To answer your original question, you would need a custom input shaft for the np120, same as i stated for the 149. AWD is a good thing if you turn the power up, you don't want to end up like a mustang leaving a car show.
We had one of those a couple days ago. 427 Cobra went sideways leaving a car show, went into one of those steel cable guardrails, decapitated the driver completely and the passenger partially. Both fatal, obvi. Sad.

Very interesting. So the NP149 and NP120 are just a simple AWD like the BW4404, but the 149 should be tougher? They look very similar, but the front output looks like it takes a slip yoke shaft like a common rear shaft. Is that front driveshaft type easy to find parts for, that rear flange or slip yoke?

I will already have to make the trans extension for my 98 project, to mate the 6R80 trans to the older TC. Choosing a different TC wouldn't be any harder or quicker to make that part. I don't need a lower gear and the AWD is ideal for street only, that might be a good option.

Anyone have pictures of your shifter setup after you swapped in a BW4406

1685671768390.png
1685671803241.png

With some electronic work you could also add the electronic shift version of the 4406.

I have done plenty of 4406 manual t cases and I have done plenty of 4406 electric shift cases. What I have not done yet is the 4406’control trac case….
Some dudes on this forum years ago were making a stand alone control trac control module, they even designed a print it at home
Circuit
Board for this controller

This would be a wicked awesome
Setup for dirt or ice racing or
Maybe even drag launches

I do have one 4406 control trac t case sitting here

When doing the manual shift version we use shifter boot parts from the f150 or ranger they fit the explorer tunnel just like a factory part

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back