• Register Today It's free!

want to go wheeling in gwnf

matt97

Reaction score
City, State
windsor,virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt 4x4
looking for info on George Washington National Forest.
im not looking for any hardcore off-roading just a few moderate trails to have fun on.what do i need to bring?
how do i find the trails and is overnight camping allowed on the trails? should i have any trouble with a mildly modified explorer?

my x is mostly stock except for k&n drop in filter,warrior shackles and tt.

i hope to soon have 31x10.50 bfg's

any info would be appreciated ,thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

GWNF is a four wheekers dream. There are all types of trails. When I have been it has been in stock X or Ranger. Most of the trails are fine for a stock X. There are tons of excelent camping places. You will need to take along everthing that you need to camp. It is relatively remote. There is lots of information on this site, do the search. It is good to go with a other vehicles. I am guessing, but I expect to see a trip to the GWNF of X owners from this site in the next month.

when are you wanting to go? I have been on some, but not all. I had a blast while up there. It helps having 9" of lift and 35's.

whats up, I would like to go sometime in the next couple of months. maybe on a friday or saturday .im hoping i can get my tires by then,so i can get some grip.
maybe we can meet up and go wheeling at the same time.i figure i shouldnt go down trails by myself.
but with 35's u shouldnt need any assistance.

Matt,

I am interested in going in the next couple of months. You may want to start knocking around a few dates. That should stir up some intrest.

i am interested in going as well.
i could probably get a couple of my friends to come along!

Hey guys,
I'm thinkin of going around may 9th or 10th,would this be a good weekend for anybody else?I should have better tires by then and a few other off-road'n items.
I also need to find out a little more info on exactly where to go.Anybody interested give me a shout!

I will put that date on my calender.

Lets bump that date up to april sometime, thats my last weekend of class and I'll have to head home then to start working. One other thing, my 4x4 is broken, so I'll have to bum a ride with someone for the wheeling.

Brian you can hop in mine... Of course, I'll still have my RT/S 's so maybe you won't want to be in my truck... WHEN WILL THESE @%*# TIRES WEAR OUT?

But I'm definately game that weekend. :chug:

And Yo B? What happened to MAWD? Don't tell me JMU have given up on this organization :nono:

JMU hasn't given up on MAWD, I just needed some more space in my sig so I wouldn't get totally flamed on :eek:

Your RT/S's will do fine out there. I have Michelin LT's with a regular tread pattern and they handle fine in the mud and on the rocks...

Brian,

Have you done any of the trails around reddish knob? The last time I was up that way I went northeast from reddish knob. I think it was flagpole knob.

What other GWNF trails has anyone else explored?

GWNF info and trail write ups

Heres a link to a bunch of write ups on trails in GWNF- not all arein the GWNF but good info about VA,MD trails. It should give anyone thinking of going a good idea of the types and difficulty.

http://4x4icon.com/offroad/index.htm

Excelent link. I may be a freak but I can spend hours on end reading that stuff.

I'll keep my eye on this.

Originally posted by unclemeat
Brian,

Have you done any of the trails around reddish knob? The last time I was up that way I went northeast from reddish knob. I think it was flagpole knob.

What other GWNF trails has anyone else explored?
I've done Old Long Run, Kephart, Dictum to the rock, Dry River, Skidmore Lake and I've driven up to Reddish Knob from the road but I haven't done the trail from Reddish Knob to Flagpole Knob yet...

Originally posted by VBVASploder
Dictum to the rock,

Yeah me to, haha. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by VBVASploder
I've done Old Long Run, Kephart, Dictum to the rock, Dry River, Skidmore Lake and I've driven up to Reddish Knob from the road but I haven't done the trail from Reddish Knob to Flagpole Knob yet...

Ive done all of those, incluuding reddish to flag pole, been DOWN the rock at dictum, also Second Mountain, and a few others that are past Old Long Run( not really worth the ride IMO.)

Another in GWNF, but not near Harrisonburg- Peters Mill It's been regraded with a dozer and from all reports isnt worth traveling at the moment- Porche adopted it as a trail of theirs to promote the Chyanne(sp?) and built a bridge and the FS regraded and did a ton of work building tank traps and berms to keep the illegal wheeling down- Last time I spoke to the FS they indicated they would close it if the illegal activites dont stop. Too bad, although not a hard trail- loosing any is not a good thing. Once closed, getting a trail reopened has been close to impossible.

Kephart is in trouble too - assholes going off the trail at one point for a hill climb have really done some damage, and the FS is weighing their options. If the side trails contine to be used they will probably shut it down so tread lightly, and if you see illegal activity either report it, or talk to the folks and remind them where the trail is.

Back