Water last weekend, now it won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water last weekend, now it won't start.

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I went through some deep water last weekend, maybe 18"-20" and now my car won't start. I get all the accessory lights and the fuel pump runs, but when I turn to start I just get the loud click. Do you think this has to do with the water, or has the starter just gone bad??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, I've had it running a few times this week too. Started normally.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a classic bad connection at the starter. Have you tried arching the starter solenoid? This will send more power to the starter then the key will, it may get you going.
Mine would start when it would get hot, I ended up re-doingthe entire wiring down at the starter, I soldered the small lead toteh starter and I soldered the O ring connector to the wire instead of just the crimp connection it had. I also ran new wires and installed yet another starter solenoid. This fixed it for along time, but the other day it did it again! I just pop the hood, put the key in the on postition and jump the solenoid, starts right up. I need a new starter. The 4.0L starter has a built in solenoid, I fear this is my problem. I had a new starter in there but when I converted to an automatic I had to go back to an auto starter and I didnt have the $$$ so my auto starter has about 140K miles on it.

It;s the connection at the starter...I'll bet you $5.
Also may be the perfect time to replace that sucker.....

How would I go about jumping the starter solenoid. Is that the one right next to the battery on the inner fender?

Thats right. Basically there are three wires.
The small red/blue wire is the signal wire from the key switch that activated the solenoid. It;s working because you are hearing a click.

The one post is the + wire directly from the battery. You can follow it for 10" and see it goes right to the + post.
The wire on the other post of the solenoid (should be alone)is the one that goes to the starter, This is the signal wire to the starter that tells the starter to crank. The starter then also has a 10 guage wire that goes directly to the + battery post as well. So you see you actually have two starter solenoids, except one is built into the starter, this most likely is what is going out on your truck.

Use a screwdriver or pocket knife, make sure the key is in the ON position and the truck is in PArk or NEAutral (Stick) and arch the two starter solenoid posts together, the starter will bump. If it does, it could be your fender mounted solenoid is bad (doubt it)

the reason the starter may crank is because you are simply sending a little more juice to it's built in solenoid and thus you can get a few more miles out of it....

Try it and let me know if it works. If not, you can test the fednder mounted solenoid, if that checks out it;s rebuilt starter time! About $80 at a local alternator/starter guy.

Ok jumped the solenoid and got it to start. Also turned it off and got it to start with the key after a couple times with the clicking, so I'm guessing its all down in the starter built in solenoid....how hard is it to change a starter....

Starter is pretty easy to change. Disconnect the battery, disconnect the wires from the starter, unbolt the starter and drop it out. Put new starter in in reverse order. Should take less than an hour. It helps if you put the vehicle on ramps first.

Back