Water Leak | Page 54 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clogged A-pillar drains. I didn't realize that the carpet was wet too. They're pulling the front carpet, drying it out, replacing the jute underneath, of course clearing the drains, all to the tune of $750.
If the drains from the moonroof are not draining properly you will get water in the front foot wells or the 2nd row footwells depending on whether it is the front or rear drains.

Peter

14 Explorer Drain Tubes.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the drains from the moonroof are not draining properly you will get water in the front foot wells or the 2nd row footwells depending on whether it is the front or rear drains.

Peter

View attachment 97594

Yeah, I know. I didn't realize it was wet because of my Ares floor mats.

sunroof is the only thing I wanted I didn't get on mine. :rolleyes:

Possible, but with everyone having leaks one never knows until it's found. My 2011 just turned 6 years old May 25th. We have never had the leak problem until two days ago. My wife came to me cursing because water was running down the seat belt by the rear hatch on the drivers side during a heavy rain. I found that the large rubber grommet seal near where the hatch hinge is was the culprit.

Hi,
I just found this issue with my 2011 Explorer as well. I found a pool of water in my spare tire well, so I asked the dealership to figure out where the water was coming from, and they said that I had a serious leak from the roof rack on the right side. It was pouring down the seatbelt like you described into the spare tire well. They told me they couldn't do anything to fix it, and that I needed to go to a body shop because there was a crack in the rack where the bolt is in the back and they also found a crack under the front part of the rack. Can I ask if you got yours fixed and what did they have to do to fix it, and how much did it cost? I have no warranty left and the insurance company won't cover it because it is a defect and not covered under comprehensive.

Hi,
I just found this issue with my 2011 Explorer as well. I found a pool of water in my spare tire well, so I asked the dealership to figure out where the water was coming from, and they said that I had a serious leak from the roof rack on the right side. It was pouring down the seatbelt like you described into the spare tire well. They told me they couldn't do anything to fix it, and that I needed to go to a body shop because there was a crack in the rack where the bolt is in the back and they also found a crack under the front part of the rack. Can I ask if you got yours fixed and what did they have to do to fix it, and how much did it cost? I have no warranty left and the insurance company won't cover it because it is a defect and not covered under comprehensive.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
In many cases the dealer called in 3rd party that repairs these kind of issues (Water Doctor). If you are saying you have cracks in the roof side rails I don't know if that would allow water penetration. The mounting points themselves should be sealed.

Peter

Found the 3rd row drivers side storage area right below the window full of water. I hosed it down but didn't see any more water. I will have to keep an eye on it.

Recently had the passenger footwell collect about an inch of water. Passenger side front moonroof drain was clogged. Tried to run a weed-cutter string through and push the crud out. Couldn't get that to work. Partially removed the passenger side wheel well liner and was able to locate the drain and clean it from that end.
The drain is behind the liner and is pretty high up in the well, I was not able to see it but found it by feel. Lots of "stuff" glommed onto it. Brushing the "stuff" away with my fingers and pinching the exposed tube caused more debris to dislodge followed by the water I'd poured into the moonroof track.

Hi,
My dealer first thought my water leak was coming from the hatch so they puddy'd it all up with gray bondo looking stuff, which you can't see once the panels are put back on but next good rain - water presented again from the right rear seatbelt assembly. They brought in a 'water expert' and put my vehicle in a water room and determined the roof rack bolts had rusted through. It was fixed @ their body shop at no cost & they also put me in a rental during the downtime of about a week. I was outside of my 3/36 warranty as well. The water leak is a well-documented issue with our year(s) of explorer. Can you call Ford Corporate to have them open up a case?

Hi,
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I fixed the leak myself by passing silicone on the grommet and reinserting it back in the hole. So far so good.
It is a common problem but has many causes, and you can even find videos on youtube showing all the leaks that are known on the Explorers. Good Luck!

My dealer first thought my water leak was coming from the hatch so they puddy'd it all up with gray bondo looking stuff, which you can't see once the panels are put back on but next good rain - water presented again from the right rear seatbelt assembly. They brought in a 'water expert' and put my vehicle in a water room and determined the roof rack bolts had rusted through. It was fixed @ their body shop at no cost & they also put me in a rental during the downtime of about a week. I was outside of my 3/36 warranty as well. The water leak is a well-documented issue with our year(s) of explorer. Can you call Ford Corporate to have them open up a case?

Hi juliehopson63,
Thanks for the post. I will definitely have to look into calling Ford Corporate to see what they may be able to do. Have you had any experience with opening up a case? I'm concerned because it just blows my mind that they have not issued a recall for this issue and fixed it anyway, so I'm not sure how far I will get. :( Thank you for the advice though. Gladd you were able to get yours fixed at no cost to you.

Hi juliehopson63,
Thanks for the post. I will definitely have to look into calling Ford Corporate to see what they may be able to do. Have you had any experience with opening up a case? I'm concerned because it just blows my mind that they have not issued a recall for this issue and fixed it anyway, so I'm not sure how far I will get. :( Thank you for the advice though. Gladd you were able to get yours fixed at no cost to you.

Recalls are issued due to safety issues. Brake failures, power steering failures, suspension issues, potential fires, bolts not secured, parts not installed properly to cause an accident etc).

You will not see a recall on something like this.

Hi juliehopson63,
As blwnsmoke stated, you won't see a recall on this. I'm guessing that overall there haven't been enough of these issues to warrant the issuing of a Technical Service Bulletin. Your Explorer is 6 years old and almost 7 model years. I doubt that you will get anywhere calling Ford corporate. I'm not sure if your insurance company is right in calling it a "defect", especially if it just started leaking a month ago.

Peter

Hi juliehopson63,

I would post on their Facebook or Twitter page wall and indicate your problem. They are pretty good about acknowledging the issue in a private chat & setting up a case with Ford Corporate and getting your vehicle into the dealer for inspection. Seemed like my dealer wanted Corporate $ kicked in. So for both the interior water leak, as well as paint/corrosion issue - I've had Corporate involved. Just to echo what everyone else has said - they wont recall for smelly interiors or bubbling paint !

Hello, all. I have a 2013 Ford Explorer. We bought it used at the end of 2013 and purchased the Ford PremiumCare Extended warranty plan. After a big rain storm a few days ago I noticed a water puddle in the back of my 3rd row storage area. I took my car to my local Autonation Ford dealership and they ran a water test on my vehicle. They are stating the leak is coming from the rear hatch seals. They also stated they found a leek in my sunroof (drains are clogged). The dealership called to say none of the work is covered by the Premium Care extended warranty. When we purchased the warranty we were told it was a bumper to bumper warranty and covered all repairs. I called the Customer Service center and filed a complaint and just received an email stating it has been escalated but the claim has been denied. Does anyone here have any experience with this?

Hello, all. I have a 2013 Ford Explorer. We bought it used at the end of 2013 and purchased the Ford PremiumCare Extended warranty plan. After a big rain storm a few days ago I noticed a water puddle in the back of my 3rd row storage area. I took my car to my local Autonation Ford dealership and they ran a water test on my vehicle. They are stating the leak is coming from the rear hatch seals. They also stated they found a leek in my sunroof (drains are clogged). The dealership called to say none of the work is covered by the Premium Care extended warranty. When we purchased the warranty we were told it was a bumper to bumper warranty and covered all repairs. I called the Customer Service center and filed a complaint and just received an email stating it has been escalated but the claim has been denied. Does anyone here have any experience with this?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your issue is NOT covered under the ESP warranty. If you check the document you will see at the very bottom, issues that are not covered. Here is a copy of the part that applies to your situation;
Generally Covered by Your Auto Insurance –
Examples include: fixed (non-moving) body parts, bumpers, glass, moldings,
ornamentation, paint, rust, sheet metal, structural underbody framework,
side and rear view mirrors (glass and housing), water leaks, wind noise,
weather strips, wheels, wheel studs, wheel covers, convertible top and bow.

Peter

2018 Platinum

So I've had this for 10 days..not even 500 miles on it AND I HAVE WATER LEAKS IN THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! I noticed some water in the cargo area a few days ago but wasn't really alarmed as it's been really snowy here and I'm always in the back w/ the gate up so I figured some snow got in...Until I started researching these problems and kept seeing water leak issues with Explorers I started smelling a rat...

Sure enough I washed the car yesterday in our garage and water is coming in throught the electric seat control panel on the left rear of the cargo area...GRRRRRRRRRRR..the water drips out through that and seeps behind the light then drips down into the car...Water is also coming down that rear seat belt and puddling on the floor..I did purchase the rear cargo mat so hopefully the water isn't creating too much damage...

I'm going to be calling the dealershgip in a few minutes...I'm really freaking out..not only do I not feel safe anymore this water issue is pi**ing me off...I do not want to be stuck dealing with issues for the next 5 years...

Anyone else have issues like mine or suggestions?

Sorry for the book..LOL this is my first post ;) AND my first Ford..Never owned one and now I hope I don't regret it...

That could be the seal for the roof rack rails or hatch seal. Sorry this is happening and hope the dealership and Ford step up as they should.

That could be the seal for the roof rack rails or hatch seal. Sorry this is happening and hope the dealership and Ford step up as they should.
Well I just got back from the dealership and they said it was a design flaw in the sunroof drains and there was an updated part to put in..Why they didn't put the better part on the line IDK...but I have a loaner..and if it's more than that I hope they can find it...I'll update when I hear something..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2018 Platinum

So I've had this for 10 days..not even 500 miles on it AND I HAVE WATER LEAKS IN THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! I noticed some water in the cargo area a few days ago but wasn't really alarmed as it's been really snowy here and I'm always in the back w/ the gate up so I figured some snow got in...Until I started researching these problems and kept seeing water leak issues with Explorers I started smelling a rat...

Sure enough I washed the car yesterday in our garage and water is coming in throught the electric seat control panel on the left rear of the cargo area...GRRRRRRRRRRR..the water drips out through that and seeps behind the light then drips down into the car...Water is also coming down that rear seat belt and puddling on the floor..I did purchase the rear cargo mat so hopefully the water isn't creating too much damage...

I'm going to be calling the dealershgip in a few minutes...I'm really freaking out..not only do I not feel safe anymore this water issue is pi**ing me off...I do not want to be stuck dealing with issues for the next 5 years...

Anyone else have issues like mine or suggestions?

Sorry for the book..LOL this is my first post ;) AND my first Ford..Never owned one and now I hope I don't regret it...
In your other post in another thread you mentioned that you were told that the water infiltration was the result of the moonroof drain tubes being frozen. Although I can't saythat isn't the cause I doubt that is the issue since past post on plugged drain tube issues resulted in water pooling in the front or 2nd row foot wells. See the diagram I posted; Water Leak Water coming in where you indicated was usually from leaks where the roof rails were fastened to the roof or from cracked welds along the top of the liftgate. As for the drain tubes, I haven't had that issue with the vehicles I've had and you can be sure it gets plenty cold enough at times here to cause freezing.

Peter

Back