rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
I have an extra 8.8 carrier and was wondering if it is possible to weld up the spider gears in that carrier (spider gears only) and install in the axle that's under the truck now?
My plan is if I don't like it, I could just put the stock spider gears back in.
Would this just be a straight bolt in job after welding?

Don't think with the 8.8 carrier that you can weld the spiders and actually get them out of the carrier... To get them out you have to roll them till they release on the open side so if they were all stuck together, I don't think they would come out as one big ball...

If you want to weld them, you'd have to weld them in the carrier.

Or do you mean switch out the whole carrier if you don't like them? In that case you'd have to do a set-up of your gears again. Although if you knew what shims you needed for both carriers, it would really only need to be done once, then just keep the info around for when you swap the old carrier back in.

Or buy and Aussie... I love mine and I've done a decent number of highway miles. Just clicks in parking lots and stuff, but no scrub, and she's locked as soon as I step on it. Best bang for your buck for sure.

What he said. I welded mine but my truck is just an off road rig. If I had to drive it ALOT on the highway then I wouldn't do a welded diff. Over all I like my welded diff.

Back