well I've finally bit the bullet SAS | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

well I've finally bit the bullet SAS

well I've finally bit the bullet: Curtis' 3-link SAS

I'll be picking up my D30 from a TJ with 4.10s (to match the 4.10 i already have) plus, its 50% day at the JY :D i will be making my own custom three link, using ballistic joints on the frame side & Rustys superflex joints at the axle, lower links are 1.5" DOM .120 wall sleeved with 2" DOM .250 Wall. Third link is 1.5" DOM .120 wall with a Creeper joint at the frame and stock jk end on the axle.

bracket.jpg

bracket2.jpg

Ill also be using an adjustable track bar from an XJ that im getting for free, the coil buckets are from ballistic and the shock towers are f250 ones. The steering box will be from an ifs Toyota with a trailgear pitman arm, the return line is stock while the stock pressure line was lengthened, ill also be using a hybrid shaft from the toy box and stock explorer shafts. all the steering on the axle will be chevy TRE over the knuckle with 1.25" .250 tubing and the drag link is the same tube with 3/4 heims. Brake lines will be from Rustys, going to use Wild Horse EB 5.5" springs and shocks are Bilstein 5125 12" travel and im going to SOA the rear with the stock shocks mounted in the top sway bar hole.

I moved the axle 3" forward for a wheel base of 105" and will be using a hybrid driveshaft from a first gen and my 95-96 front shaft. Now has 35/1250/15 new MTR's on 15x10 black wheels (don't know what kind) and kept the spacers up front.

And my 4.10 front diff and 2" body lift with custom brackets will be for sale, if anyone is interested PM me

Im sure ive forgotten something but heres the budget brake down so far:
Axle $60
Mounts $100
Custom 3 link $200
Dana 30 Lock Right $75
Axle Seals & Synthetic Gear Oil $70
8.8 Aussie $280
Ruffstuff 8.8 diff cover $135
Ruffstuff D30 cover $125
35" MTR's $714
Wheels $0
Extended stainless brake lines $62
Steering box $50
Shock towers $60
Ballistic buckets $85
WJ brake swap $300
One ton steering $200
Sliders $150
Shocks $175
Misc Items (cutting wheels, welding wire, bolts, etc) $100

Total so far $2981

pics to come.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribing--this is looking really good! Cant wait to see the finished project---well, not sure if projects are ever finished... But rollin on those 35's !!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Looking good.

Wondering why you modified the crossmember? It shouldn't have caused any problems as it was.

Looking good.

Wondering why you modified the crossmember? It shouldn't have caused any problems as it was.

My mount for the upper link sits exactly where the stock crossmember bracket sat. Plus mine must be different then newer truck because the front driveshaft was bottoming out a lot sooner then it should be.

Looking, good, 2nd gen SAS are fun

Looks beefy. My welds weren't the prettiest on those brackets either, but after cutting them off tonight and seeing the penetration, there was no need for worry!

I'm getting this strong feeling of deja vu.... ;)

frontaxle.jpg

not that there is much interest in this build, but im documenting non the less. front axle is out.

the arms i got are 2" OD, .370 wall with large Rubicon Express joints on each end. the coils are rubicon express 5.5 TJ coils

price?

how much for the body lift?

well shes headed to the local 4wp today for completion. i no longer had the resources at my disposal to complete it at home so my friends up there have volunteered to help/finish it.

...That sure isn't the 4WP's I go to...You can't even get parts the same day...

..:scratch:..So, what all did you have them finish up for you???

lol yea i had to get it out of the garage so it could be towed up there. im going to have them finish the steering and panhard bar mount and then ramp it for shocks. my welder went kaput so i cant finish without it.

I Dig It!!! Any plans for the cleaning up the fender cuts/holes in rear fender? Were you able to sell the grey tupperware?

Looking good Tar!

Okay what did you do about steering?

Back