What accessories do you recommend for a 2020-2023 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What accessories do you recommend for a 2020-2023 Explorer?

CavCop

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Killeen, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer King Ranch
Got a 2023 Ford Explorer and looking at getting some accessories/upgrades next year for it.

Anything to stay away from? A waste of money? Must have?

So far looking at Weather Tech floor trays (all three rows), and cargo liner that covers the 3 seats when folded flat, in cocoa/brown.

I got the factory floor mats and floor trays, but the trays don’t seem that great.

Also looking at the UPR billet oil drain plug, the one that comes out (not the twist to drain).

Along with some magnetic jacking points to attach to the pinch welds for raising the vehicle.

What are your thoughts and dealings with accessories?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love our Weathertech mats. They look great and do a very good job of protecting the floor from spills and dirt.

I have a UPR drain plug that I still need to install. I've been slacking on that. I forget I have it and have done a couple oil changes since purchasing it. :banghead:

I have also added a JLT oil catch can under the hood. It helps keep the valves and pistons free from oil deposits.

I love our Weathertech mats. They look great and do a very good job of protecting the floor from spills and dirt.

I have a UPR drain plug that I still need to install. I've been slacking on that. I forget I have it and have done a couple oil changes since purchasing it. :banghead:

I have also added a JLT oil catch can under the hood. It helps keep the valves and pistons free from oil deposits.

Has the catch can gathered much oil and fuel? I thought I read somewhere where Ford improved their engines to not need blow off valves or catch cans (a combination of direct and port injection on newer engines).

i love the Ford rubber mats for the three rows but not for cargo.

Ford roof crossbars are plenty good and less conspicuous than aftermarket.

Window vents/deflectors... Id pass. Have tried stick-on and in-channel. Pass.

JLT catch can... yes. A lot of accumulation with oil changes.

Vacuum extraction oil changes for 3.0L... highly recommended. Get an extractor with 10L capacity.

Forscan Lite with OBDLink MX+...must have. keep it in the car. This car is problematic. You will need diagnostics at some point.

Sync 3...make sure you have the latest v.23188.

ST owners:. highly recommend lowering springs, rear sway bar, subframe bushing support kit, PIU shock/struts.

Lastly, just a couple protips: anything wonky that a car restart doesnt fix, try disconnecting negative terminal of battery for a few minutes. this will force modules to reboot. Sync reboot: hold down PWR and FFWD until it reboots. Can be done while driving. Get to know it.

Has the catch can gathered much oil and fuel? I thought I read somewhere where Ford improved their engines to not need blow off valves or catch cans (a combination of direct and port injection on newer engines).

It definitely catches oil. Not a lot, but I have been emptying it twice between oil changes. The most I've seen at one time is about 3/8". The way I see it is every drop I catch is a drop that isn't being put into the intake charge.

Vacuum extraction oil changes for 3.0L... highly recommended.

Just wondering why. I've done all the oil changes on ours the old fashioned way. ;)

Just wondering why. I've done all the oil changes on ours the old fashioned way. ;)
It is super easy and less messy. especially now that the oil filter is up top on the 3L, just open the hood and do the oil change. I use the same extractor to "drain and fill" the trans but instead of 5-6L spilled, I suck out 4L. still less hassle, less mess. I'll just do it once a year after 60k miles.

It is super easy and less messy. especially now that the oil filter is up top on the 3L, just open the hood and do the oil change. I use the same extractor to "drain and fill" the trans but instead of 5-6L spilled, I suck out 4L. still less hassle, less mess. I'll just do it once a year after 60k miles.

I do a chassis shakedown whenever I do my oil changes. I'm lucky though and have a lift to work under.

Got a 2023 Ford Explorer and looking at getting some accessories/upgrades next year for it.

Anything to stay away from? A waste of money? Must have?

So far looking at Weather Tech floor trays (all three rows), and cargo liner that covers the 3 seats when folded flat, in cocoa/brown.

I got the factory floor mats and floor trays, but the trays don’t seem that great.

Also looking at the UPR billet oil drain plug, the one that comes out (not the twist to drain).

Along with some magnetic jacking points to attach to the pinch welds for raising the vehicle.

What are your thoughts and dealings with accessories?
I've always used the Husky liners in the past, but I've ordered the OEM liners when I ordered the last 2 Aviators and they have been just as good.
Did you also get the cargo liner?

Peter

I do a chassis shakedown whenever I do my oil changes. I'm lucky though and have a lift to work under.

Jealous. And that is a very good reason to do it the conventional way. I've discovered quite a few problems by just being under there doing other things!

I've always used the Husky liners in the past, but I've ordered the OEM liners when I ordered the last 2 Aviators and they have been just as good.
Did you also get the cargo liner?

Peter
I did not get the factory rear cargo liner. The vehicle came with the factory carpet pads and liners, along with the cargo net and revisable back cover with side tray covers.

My F150 had the Husky’s front a rear, they were great but stiff/hard. Good for a truck.

The Weather Tech’s look softer, and have all three rows, along with a larger rear cargo mat, and come in coco that I think will match the poop brown interior of the King Ranch. I am hoping it will provide sound insulation and protection. It will be rare for six people to ride in my vehicle, but I do family vacations to the Texas coast and we carpool for dinners (and could be covered in water/sand.

Get the extended warranty if you have't already. I've used weather tech mats in the past.....Ford made some changes and in my opinion they Look and wear much better. Weather tech are too stiff and tend to not lay flat against the sides. All it takes is for someones foot to bend them and then there is a gap.

My F150 had the Husky’s front a rear, they were great but stiff/hard. Good for a truck.

Husky has the x-Act Contour brand which is a softer more pliable item. You likely had the WeatherBeater ones that I also had.

Peter

Back