What are the best All Terrains? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are the best All Terrains?

2004explorerxlt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
I have a 2004 explorer XLT V8 that is rated for 235/70r16 and i have been looking for some new All Terrains. I am thinking of getting 245/70r16 of maybe Firestone, Falken, Cooper, and a few others. Any suggestions?

Thanks

245/70r16 isn't as common of a size so you might pay a few more bucks for them. I went with a Cooper Discoverer AT3 in 245/75r16 and I absolutely love them. I have had them in mud, snow, dirt, sand, and I went to Moab back in October and they did great. I was only limited by the AWD capability of my Mountaineer. I have almost 10k on them and there doesn't seem to be much tread wear, and they are a 55k mile tire.

BF Goodrich A/T's are great but pricey, Yokohama Geolander's aren't bad, Toyo Open County AT's are good, and Falken Rocky Mountain AT's are decent, but I heard a lot of people get weird tread wear from them.

Here is what they look like http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378099

What he said. 245 75s fit fine and they are more common...not much more than 235 70's

Just keep in mind the height and width will hurt your mileage a tad.

Back