What are the "hard to find" parts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are the "hard to find" parts?

TorontoGuy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XL
Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what are some of the hard to find parts for the first gen Explorers? Parts that have either gone obsolete from Ford and can't really be found otherwise?

Anything you guys have come across as "impossible" to find yet?

I feel this thread will be bitter sweet :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BBK supercharger
Bolt on brush guards
Superchips burnt chip

Performance parts.....

This may sound odd, but I've found it hard to find good NOS/OEM seat belts for my 93. I don't know if the 2nd gen were the same or if I am just not looking in the right places, but they've been really difficult to find.
Another hard to find item would be the center armrest/storage box for the 93-94 Explorers with the front bench seat. I have one and want to get a replacement and it is hard as hell to find one of those

I've had trouble tracking down a 4x4 module. Most parts stores dont even list it.

I have found that it is very difficult to find steering knuckles for the 94 Explorers. I had to replace both. I finally found a new left one that was exact, but had to get an older model one for the right side and have a machine shop drill the cast iron knuckle to fit the ABS sensor.

intake air tube sealing rings. the only way to get them is to spend a couple of hundred buck for the entire setup at the dealership or take your chances at the junk yard.

intake air tube sealing rings. the only way to get them is to spend a couple of hundred buck for the entire setup at the dealership or take your chances at the junk yard.
This is mine by far. I didn't even know explorers came with a front bench seat, but the center console for bucket seats is not rare for me. 1st gen explorers in general are now rare for me. Luckily a ton of 2nd gen parts will work on a first gen, whether its a center console, seat, axle, engine, etc. Those stupid rubber air tube rings are the bane of me. I've tried making them out of inner tube, and it works, but they are hard to remove and put on. I made my own tube with pvc, but I find it ugly. You could buy an aftermarket setup, but the stock air tube is often cheaper at $140. If only you could buy just the rubber seals, all would be good. I've tried all the air tubes I could find from 2nd and 3rd gen explorers, and none are all that close to fitting. If you swapped the airbox location with the battery, you could use a 2nd gen air tube...

I rebuilt my o-rings with Permatex Black.

How much of your original is left? I was able to form a new gasket around what was left, and -- it's been working fine (no air leaks) after about 6 months of use so far.

Another hard-to-find (impossible to find?) part is the 3rd brake light lens.

Yeah. I struck out trying to find a replacement, as well. Fortunately, my old one is only missing a little piece from the corner and doesn't let water in.

Can you guys post a pic of the intake tube o-ring issue? I don't recall having any problem with that part and don't have any tears or cracks that I know of.

Wow this is an old thread that I actually replied to years ago. As was said before by others, the gaskets to the intake tube are impossible to get, so I ended up buying a brand new tube assembly. EXPENSIVE.
Third brake light lense was mentioned, I actually used to go to the pick a parts, buy them cheap, restore them and sell them.
Fog light switch is rare as hell. I lucked out and found a couple at the pick a parts.
THE most RARE thing I have had trouble finding is a new fuel filler hose. LMC I think used to sell one but it was expensive as hell. A few months ago I lucked out big time and bought a NOS Ford fuel filler hose for like $90 shipped. Most everything you find out there is used and/or out of stock

Wow this is an old thread that I actually replied to years ago. As was said before by others, the gaskets to the intake tube are impossible to get, so I ended up buying a brand new tube assembly. EXPENSIVE.
Third brake light lense was mentioned, I actually used to go to the pick a parts, buy them cheap, restore them and sell them.
Fog light switch is rare as hell. I lucked out and found a couple at the pick a parts.
THE most RARE thing I have had trouble finding is a new fuel filler hose. LMC I think used to sell one but it was expensive as hell. A few months ago I lucked out big time and bought a NOS Ford fuel filler hose for like $90 shipped. Most everything you find out there is used and/or out of stock
I ended up having to get an air tube this year, as well. My tube got very brittle and broke in a couple of places; one if which was the end by the intake manifold. After a piece of duct tape got sucked into the intake and blocked the throttle plate, I decided that it was time to pay the $$. Got a new one off of ebay. Cost me about $120, if I recall.

I didn't even know explorers came with a front bench seat

Before I sold mine it had the Sunroof on it but did not have Power windows, Mirrors, locks seats, tilt steering and no cup holders. Mine had the bench seat with arm rest.

_27_zpshenax7uw.jpg

I plan a trip to the junkyard for two things:
1. Third Brake light lens, and
2. the plastic OBD1 test-port cover (under the hood). I lost mine.

Same lens was used in early Aerostar vans. I found two in junkyards and rescued them for my future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Center armrest base... (not bench, but the armrest looks the same I guess). In mine '92 the base was plastic, and, expectedly, got broken (I leaned on it... sorry... I didn't know...). I was lucky to find (at pull-a-part) an armrest with metal base (could not remember from which year), wrong color, but I managed to re-cover it with my original cover.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the front doors interior handles -- in mine they both broke (too much effort closing the doors with latches that old :)). No pull-a-part could help -- they all are broken, too. Each and every freaking one of them. I was looking for them for couple of years, and then, eventually, some of the aftermarket parts manufacturers started to produce and sell them. At first, I bought and replaced the drivers side (originally beige) with grey one (beige was not available at that time). Later I found beige, bought both, replaced the (broken) passenger side. Could not remember the price, but it wasn't high. Driver side is still grey, but the beige replacement sits ready, waiting for the opportunity to be installed :).

Back