What are your thoughts so far? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are your thoughts so far?

Thank you. Apparently the 2020 XLT trims did not have the hood insulation according to several posts I've read.

Peter
So many changes...The 2021 XLT loaner I am driving has the pad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my 2020 XLT last April, and haven't driven it much thanks to Covid and working from home fulltime, so it only has around 5,000 miles on it. I had an issue with my touchscreen not coming on, which my local dealership (Colonial Ford, Marlborough MA) worked on and finally fixed thanks to input from corporate engineering. The connecting cable needed to be replaced and rerouted. The dealership was great, IMO, and paid for Lyft rides for me to and from my home. They also replaced the rear view camera while they had it.

I have not experienced the transmission issue (yikes) or the rear gate issue, but the engine does seem a little loud in the cabin, and not in a good AMG kind of way. I did have the window rolling down issue, which the reset fixed and it has not reappeared.

Update.today the temperature was 0 degrees and the autostop worked. Lol. I disabled it anyway :)

Update.today the temperature was 0 degrees and the autostop worked. Lol. I disabled it anyway :)

If the climate control was set to auto it may not have allowed the engine to turn off in order to keep the passenger compartment heated.:dunno:

I think the Explorer is great. I tell my wife it is the best vehicle we own and I love to drive it especially in its 202A SAP packaged dress. With that said if I could change one thing it would be the noise level of the 2.3 liter motor. While it sounds great in the Focus RS at 350 HP, I would prefer some of that in the Explorer as it gets buzzy in the high rpms. A better tuned down pipe or even a turbo recirculated noise coming off the intake into the cabin would be great. While you can hear the twin scroll spool up, it is drowned out by a loud buzz in higher RPMs.

I would welcome the pops and gruggles of the Focus RS tune more so than the Explorer mild tune.

Oh yeah, I really do like the sound system in the Explorer as well. I have the B&O system in my truck and the base Explorer system is a lot better. I have never heard the Lincoln system but it would be hard pressed to beat the Explorer setup.

I think the Explorer is great. I tell my wife it is the best vehicle we own and I love to drive it especially in its 202A SAP packaged dress. With that said if I could change one thing it would be the noise level of the 2.3 liter motor. While it sounds great in the Focus RS at 350 HP, I would prefer some of that in the Explorer as it gets buzzy in the high rpms. A better tuned down pipe or even a turbo recirculated noise coming off the intake into the cabin would be great. While you can hear the twin scroll spool up, it is drowned out by a loud buzz in higher RPMs.

I would welcome the pops and gruggles of the Focus RS tune more so than the Explorer mild tune.

Oh yeah, I really do like the sound system in the Explorer as well. I have the B&O system in my truck and the base Explorer system is a lot better. I have never heard the Lincoln system but it would be hard pressed to beat the Explorer setup.
Totally agree

I wish there was a way to permanently disable auto-stop. It's a terribly annoying feature.

I wish there was a way to permanently disable auto-stop. It's a terribly annoying feature.

You can, through a tune. But then you also throw away warranty.

And yes dealers will know even if you flash back to stock and drive hundreds of miles before going into service.

I hardly notice it on mine. Many times it doesn't even kick in. In regards to disabling it, check out this thread if not already done so but as indicated above, it could have warranty implications. Auto Start-Stop Technology...Please NO!

Peter

What makes you think that disabling auto start-stop would have any effect on warranty? It is purely a means to improve the gas mileage for EPA ratings, and has nothing to do with other engine functions.

When you modify a vehicle in any way, the only warranty items it affects is parts that are directly related to that modification. For example, running oversize tires might have an impact on drivetrain or suspension parts, but is unlikely to have any warranty impact on your engine, interior, etc. What warranty-related part of the vehicle do you think would “break” due to auto start-stop being disabled?

Bruce

I didn't say "would". I said "could" and I'm well aware of the "directly related to" scenario. Something doesn't have to "break". A malfunction might occur due to changing the software coding. Since I'm not familiar with all the interconnected software I can't say for sure but you can bet Ford will examine such a warranty issue claim carefully. It's just something to consider.

Peter

I hardly notice it on mine. Many times it doesn't even kick in. In regards to disabling it, check out this thread if not already done so but as indicated above, it could have warranty implications. Auto Start-Stop Technology...Please NO!

Peter

Yes but you have a Hybrid, do you not? That probably does make it seamless from the Auto start stop.

What makes you think that disabling auto start-stop would have any effect on warranty? It is purely a means to improve the gas mileage for EPA ratings, and has nothing to do with other engine functions.

When you modify a vehicle in any way, the only warranty items it affects is parts that are directly related to that modification. For example, running oversize tires might have an impact on drivetrain or suspension parts, but is unlikely to have any warranty impact on your engine, interior, etc. What warranty-related part of the vehicle do you think would “break” due to auto start-stop being disabled?

Bruce
While you are right on this, flashing the vehicle will change its behaviour...for example, you brick the ECU or a change that was introduced to the ECU, leads to catastrophic engine failure because of the recoding...lots can go wrong and Ford will be within their rights to deny a warranty repair.

a buddy of mine lost a turbo, during the warranty claim process the dealer found out he had flashed the ECU and Ford denied his claim.

Yes but you have a Hybrid, do you not? That probably does make it seamless from the Auto start stop.
As my margin profile shows, I have a 2020 Aviator. ;)

Peter

What makes you think that disabling auto start-stop would have any effect on warranty? It is purely a means to improve the gas mileage for EPA ratings, and has nothing to do with other engine functions
When you modify a vehicle in any way, the only warranty items it affects is parts that are directly related to that modification. For example, running oversize tires might have an impacton drivetrain or suspension parts, but is unlikely to have any warranty impact on your engine, interior, etc. What warranty-related part of the vehicle do you think would “break” due to auto start-stop being disabled?

Bruce

Disabling auto start-stop itself won't void warranty, its altering the tune to do it that will.

It's not 100% as it varies from dealer to dealer so you may want to check with the dealer you'll most likely bring your EX in for service first before you do such things.

Fact is, dealers have the final say on what warranty work they'll do. So why risk it?

Ford has more money for lawyers so if they have to spend some dollars to deny a warranty claim. Even though the issue has nothing to do with whatever you modified, good luck trying to prove that in court.

To get the Hybrid you have to get the GT which I guess fits into the premium Hybrid EV market that Lincoln would like to be in. I still think the Hybrid would be a valid option in the regular Explorer like they do in Europe models. Oh well for the price difference the 400hp needs to be more like 450-550 especially when the BMW X5 M is getting a twin turbo v8 and 617 HP.

I have always loved Lincoln as my grandfather owned several. The Zephyr and lower end models like the MKC just really did not catch on.

To get the Hybrid you have to get the GT which I guess fits into the premium Hybrid EV market that Lincoln would like to be in. I still think the Hybrid would be a valid option in the regular Explorer like they do in Europe models. Oh well for the price difference the 400hp needs to be more like 450-550 especially when the BMW X5 M is getting a twin turbo v8 and 617 HP.

I have always loved Lincoln as my grandfather owned several. The Zephyr and lower end models like the MKC just really did not catch on.
The Grand Touring has 494 HP @ 5500 RPM and torque is 630 @ 2250 RPM compared to the Aviator's 400 HP @ 5500 and 415 @ 3000.

Peter

The Grand Touring has 494 HP @ 5500 RPM and torque is 630 @ 2250 RPM compared to the Aviator's 400 HP @ 5500 and 415 @ 3000.

Peter

Yes there is also a big difference in an medium size SUV making 500HP verses 400HP anytime a 5-6 thousand pound vehicle makes 10 percent of its weight in power then those are typically fun rides. The Hybrid at some point should become more available I assume as Ford produces more of them. The additional weight of the hybrid motors/ components could reduce the performance characteristics though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2020 is dead silent on the highway. Only time you can't hear anything is when you crack open a window. Even 1/2". Then it'll sound like airplanes are taking off next to you.

Can't most of the software updates be done OTA? Or does the dealer have to plug something in for a software update?

I'm gonna wait for the 2022's come out before i ask my dealer for a test drive. If that is noticeably better than mine (which it should), i'm going to consider coming back to lease another explorer after this lease is over.
Love how the 2020 platinum drives, the power, the technology and how it looks. Mine is however, not very quiet inside. The wind noise is pretty bad and it's coming from the door seals front and back. I rode with the tech this morning and he agreed. There is also noise coming from those rear vents inside. do they vent straight outside? What extra noise dampeners did they put in the 21? Mine also doesn't have that rear air deflector underneath and the way it sounds it should.

Back