What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 86 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Finally someone giving love to NA!!!! 2 inch seems like a ton. I wonder if that effects anything in the geometry that adds to much stress to the suspension? I bet it looks really good tho. You should take a further back picture so we can see the full aggressiveness.

I was told, by the company that made it, that there shouldn't be any negative impact. Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, like vibrations, yet but it does actually feel like the turning radius increased slightly. Will post updated pics tomorrow once I get some daylight :).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was told, by the company that made it, that there shouldn't be any negative impact. Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, like vibrations, yet but it does actually feel like the turning radius increased slightly. Will post updated pics tomorrow once I get some daylight :).
What company made the spacers?

FJC....Do you have a link to the Catch can purchasing site? Does it come with decent photos for installation?

Just got back from out of town so I admit other than saying hi to the Explorer on the way inside no activity in about a week. Still getting over my Jetlag but might take for a ride today maybe dinner.

FJC....Do you have a link to the Catch can purchasing site? Does it come with decent photos for installation?

I bought mine directly from JLT. Their instructions are decent, but I found a few videos on youtube that made it much clearer. It's a very easy install - there's a short hose with quick-disconnects that you are removing, the one that goes from the brownish PCV valve. The bracket installs onto an existing bolt. It only took about 5 minutes to install.

Link to where I bought it.

One of many Youtube videos I found helpful.

Thanks, Just ordered mine. Black Anodized will follow up when it arrives.

Not much to do on the 3.5 NA but dropped a K&N Air filter in the air filter box. Mainly because got tired of all the local sand particles/smog/dirt and changing oem air filter every 5K, otherwise MPG drops significantly after 5K miles......also the K&N was discounted big at Walmart, something like 25$ from 55$.
Car seems to "breathe" good and I like the additional resonance sound that I now get. Almost like the artificial sound from the speakers on the Edge Sport - hahaha.

I fixed a rather bad rattle in mine today. It started a few weeks back, coming from the passenger door area. Very loud, I was certain something must have come loose inside the passenger door panel.

Using sensitive audio tools (my ears) and a percussive vibration inducer (my fist), I banged around on the door panel to narrow it down - and discovered the actual culprit was the little tiny plastic panel behind the door handle that covers the access to one of the door panel bolts. It was loose and that allowed it to make a horrible rattle. It wouldn’t stay clipped in, so I pulled it out and saw that one of the three plastic tabs had broken off.

The part, the tab on the right is broken off.
E6BE264A-000A-4E59-A569-0E1D9E9CB4F0.jpeg

I ended up just putting a couple very small pieces of 3M double sided foam tape on it so that it’ll stay in place with no rattles (but I can still get it out if I need to pull off the door panel).

All fixed! It’s the little panel behind the actual door handle.

D49DD6A0-94A1-4FB5-B720-5F18EF4F69CF.jpeg

Borla cat-back exhaust installed today! Did it myself. I’ll have to write up a post on how it went.

JonNoriega, Borla owes you a commission. It was your videos that sold me on the Borla!
Nice!!!

FJC your photos of the Catch Can were spot on. I did one minor change though. I loosened the grounding strap turned it about 1/8 inch to the right over the hump, and re tightened. That allowed the Catch can bracket to be literally straight vertical. Install mileage 1410 I plan on inspecting at 2000 miles then every 2,000 miles after that. I must admit though the fitment is tight especially with the hood fire blanket. Nice and secure and I felt some air sound after I started....Didn't think much of it, figured it was because the engine cover was removed. Installed cover and still the air sound. Took me a couple of minutes to figure it out but it was the Catch Can. I removed the catch can collection cup before installation figuring that removing once would make it easier to remove later. I must have forgot to re install no big deal no leakage and discovered my mistake pretty quickly. Install was pretty simple but design note, having the tubes either 45 or 90 degrees from vertical would make grabbing the knurled handle easier to grab. I recommend removing the collection cup prior to installation and re tightening hand tight. From the factory it is probably machine tight so tighter than normal hand removal for inspection would be. Just a note not a requirement but something to consider.

I got the Black Anodized and slightly contrasts with the Metallic Blue paint.

Thanks for the tip.

Finally someone giving love to NA!!!! 2 inch seems like a ton. I wonder if that effects anything in the geometry that adds to much stress to the suspension? I bet it looks really good tho. You should take a further back picture so we can see the full aggressiveness.

Here ya go:
fTh6r0wuNEjANWO_OTnvlxOsnjw-ceGqYzdBA=w660-h879-no.jpg

And my lift kit just arrived too, so we'll be getting that installed next!

Thanks for your support I hope you are enjoying the tune from us. We have had such success with these explorer sports and rest of ecoboost world. Thanks again everyone and if you need anything reach out to us at 313-561-5500 ext 126 my name is Jake

Spent a few hours reading this entire thread looking at all the great things you have all done. Now I have plenty of ideas for my new to me 2015 XLT.

Spent a few hours reading this entire thread looking at all the great things you have all done. Now I have plenty of ideas for my new to me 2015 XLT.
Welcome to the Forum Rob.:wave:
Now don't forget to also read your Owner's Manual.:)

Peter

Added tunes from 5Star via SCT X4, this morning.

91 Octane Performance (stock)
91 Octanne Performance (3bar, cai)

night and day difference!

Changed my PTU oil today. That was an adventure, as mine doesn't have a drain plug. Ended up accessing the fill plug through the passenger wheel well (you don't have to remove the liner), and using a hand vacuum pump to pump out the old oil, and pump fresh oil in.

Hard wired my new dash cam I got on Cyber Monday from Amazon.
jNz77Q4.jpg

jNz77Q4.jpg

I spent way too much time working on it to finally realize I was supplying 12V instead of 5V to it, wondering why it wouldn't turn on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Enabled "Bambi Mode" for my fog lights via Forscan....on while the high beams are on. Nice

Back